Is it just me or is purple sharpness not that great?

#1DesperateMonkeyPosted 4/29/2013 2:29:18 PM
Seriously, compared to white sharpness you get an extra 10% raw and 6% elemental. Unless it prevents bouncing I have no idea what the obsession is with purple sharpness.

Sure, its all purpose but thats why you make equipment sets. I see all these lance users who forgo guard and guard up and they think they are amazing yet all I see is them either getting messed up or losing a lot of openings they would have had just so they can get the standard Earplugs + sharpness crap.

Maybe this is a lance specific complaint. My ice lance does 470 ice dmg and benefits by by 20% from a simple ice atk up which is easy to get a huge charm to begin.

I just don't see why everyone thinks getting that few extra %'s from attack skills is so important when you lose out on so many openings and opportunities. Sure you hit for SLIGHTLY more per hit but you also hit far less than if you had say guard + guard boost or evade +2 and evade extend.

Everytime I see recommendations it always starts with Sharpness +1. Just feels like its overrated is guiding people down a silly path.
---
GT: ZiiX360 PSN: BoxFighter85
PC: i7 930@4Ghz | EX58 UD5 | GTX 460 SLI | 8GB DDR3 | 500GB Spinpoint | Vertex 2 180 SSD | Cooler Master HAF X | VG236H
#2trenton97Posted 4/29/2013 2:33:03 PM
10% raw and 6% elemental sounds plenty worth it to me.
---
After I finish life the first time, I'm doing a challenge run.
LttP>everything else.
#3DapperDanManPosted 4/29/2013 2:34:02 PM
Definitely just you, cuz it's pretty good. For most monsters at least. My purple weapons still bounce off tr Lucent nargs face da eff?
#4DesperateMonkey(Topic Creator)Posted 4/29/2013 2:38:19 PM(edited)
If it is still bouncing that means its useless, not useful... Against lucent narga, fencing >>>>>>>>>>>>> sharpness.

Also, its not a lot at all. Assuming you care about elements, the average effect is about a 8% increase in damage. Quite a pathetic amount. If I get one more hit out of ever 4 hits, I would be doing 25% more damage, yet guard and evade gives far more than this. Its quite pathetic compared to offensive power gained through defense.
---
PC: i7 930@4Ghz | EX58 UD5 | GTX 460 SLI | 8GB DDR3 | 500GB Spinpoint | Vertex 2 180 SSD | Cooler Master HAF X | VG236H
#5BeRizzlePosted 4/29/2013 2:37:25 PM
these things are not mutually exclusive

additionally, players that you see "get messed up" are going to play poorly no matter what skills they have
---
deadparrot
#6DesperateMonkey(Topic Creator)Posted 4/29/2013 2:38:57 PM
Missing openings isn't messing up when those openings don't exist for you.
---
#7DaNuguyPosted 4/29/2013 2:39:03 PM
Haven't you asked this question before? If there were no monster parts that made everything bounce off, Mind's Eye would be pointless and Sharpness +1 would be superior to it in every way. Besides, Lucent's face isn't even its Cut damage weakspot.
---
Negative non****, GEN-CINT! The ASSTWSST is a ROGER-DONKEY!
#8DesperateMonkey(Topic Creator)Posted 4/29/2013 2:40:25 PM
No, its just a part you want to BREAK... have fun trying to break it when you bounce off with you purple sharpness.

I don't think any other part even requires purple sharpness.
---
#9XCrimsonSamuraiPosted 4/29/2013 2:42:55 PM
I don't see the issue. It's incredibly easy to get Guard+ AND Sharpness +1. My Yamato Prime set which isn't even mixed has Sharpness +1, Razor Sharp and Guard +2.

I'm missing Guard Up, but I honestly find that skill to be incredibly useless, since most of the attacks it allows you to block are one's you should be using to attack the monster, like Agna's beams.

My Evade Lance set has Sharpness +1, Evasion +2, and Evade Extender as well.
---
PSN and NNID: CrimsonSamuraiX
#10BeRizzlePosted 4/29/2013 2:43:27 PM
those openings still exist for everyone

most attacks can be evaded through without evasion +1

additionally, sharpness +1 does not just add purple sharpness, but (in most cases) also greatly increases white sharpness

in g-rank you should sharpen if you ever fall to blue, and sharpness +1 can often stymie that even greater than razor sharp in many cases
---
deadparrot