What is this game like?

#1Joey-ZazaPosted 8/28/2013 5:40:02 AM
I've done my research and I can tell that it's a grind fest type game but what would YOU compare it to?

Or if not comparing it, just describe it. The videos can only show so much and I'm a little tight on money which is why I'm asking you.

I used to play WoW Endgame back when it was Wrath of the Lich King expansion and I really enjoyed finding better mats/gear or mats to make gear. Simple pleasures, right? If I enjoyed that, will I enjoy this game?

Also, I recently played Terraria, where it was similar in a sense that you grind for better gear to fight harder and harder bosses, until finally the wall of flesh boss, then the game shifts in difficulty and suddenely you're weak again and you pretty much start over. My problem with this game was it was too short, and getting ores but that last one has nothing to do with MH.
---
"I guess you could say I BLUE... myself!" - Tobias Funke
-StarTropics- -Golden Sun- -Ocarina of Time-
#2Giga_GokuPosted 8/28/2013 6:43:12 AM
Think Shadow of the Colossus, but with more enemy types and cooler environments. Also a very awesome arsenal of weapons and armour. It's BEYOND badass.
---
Currently playing "Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate" (Baklavah, HR3)
(Check quote for Hunter Data!)
#3Giga_GokuPosted 8/28/2013 6:52:56 AM
Also everything endgame is made by you. No "gear drops". You gotta make your own stuff out of monster parts and ore. And... you say "Grind Fest" like you can categorize WoW and MH in the same type of category. I'm sorry but that is inaccurate. As far as I'm concerned, this game far exceeds WoW in every factor. It's skill based, no weapons are "insta-swings with a chance to miss or get parried" or any of that nonsense.

It's only a grind fest if you let it become one. Obviously, you'll need to gather materials. They're not just going to give you everything you need from one monster or ore deposit. So yes, there's a bit of effort involved. All worth it in the end. Sometimes you may have to hunt a monster a few times for a much rarer type of material. With a little luck and patience, you'll get that LAST thing you needed to finish off your awesome armour set, or that awesome weapon you've been trying to upgrade into.

Weapons, once created, are never just "stuck" that way. You can continue upgrading them until a certain point. Unlike WoW, which requires you to forego a piece of gear when you get something better.

In my honest opinion, this game is MORE than worth it. Then again I've been playing Monster Hunter since the PS2 and therefore my opinion will be viewed as biased.
---
#4Giga_GokuPosted 8/28/2013 6:59:37 AM
Giga_Goku posted...
Also everything endgame is made by you.

I apologize, this is inaccurate, and I didn't realize it till I re-read it. Everything is made, but by the smiths. You just provide the materials. Regardless. It's not just endgame. From beginning to end, the best stuff is crafted and upgraded. You can purchase "base" versions of weapons from the shop, but ultimately you'll need to upgrade them.
---
#5hadiwinataPosted 8/28/2013 7:09:54 AM
This game has a simple formula that goes like this :
Fight monster A enough times to gather up materials to make good enough armors and weapons so that you'll have an easier time fighting monster B. Do the same with monster B so that you can go through monster C....repeat this until Z... and there you have the bread and butter of this game.

Sadly i dont know why its quite addictive.
---
my friend is really stupid that when he fills a form, under SEX: he filled in YES PLEASE ..........>__
#6Joey-Zaza(Topic Creator)Posted 8/28/2013 7:14:11 AM
Sounds interesting... :)

I just placed my order. Thanks for your input Giga and hadi.
---
#7Giga_GokuPosted 8/28/2013 7:33:55 AM
Joey-Zaza posted...
Sounds interesting... :)

I just placed my order. Thanks for your input Giga and hadi.

You are most welcome. I guarantee that you will not be disappointed. And, when you're ready to play online, feel free to call on me for assistance anytime. My NNI is Baklavah. Feel free to add me :)
---
#8Joey-Zaza(Topic Creator)Posted 8/28/2013 8:53:48 AM
Sounds good. I don't even know what mine is yet I have yet to figure out this wii stuff I bought a Wii U 5 days ago.
---
#9Giga_GokuPosted 8/28/2013 10:07:03 AM
Joey-Zaza posted...
Sounds good. I don't even know what mine is yet I have yet to figure out this wii stuff I bought a Wii U 5 days ago.

You'll get the hang of it :P
---
#10vattodevPosted 8/28/2013 12:38:50 PM
Despite the fact that you need to kill monsters to make stuff, I disagree that it should be called grinding. Seriously, I spend more time trying to learn how to fight with a new monster than actually finding parts.

Except for very few monsters that have many interesting weapons, you'll be coming back to hunt other monsters for 3 reasons:
1- Have fun with a weapon and armor that you already had.
2- Try to fight it with a new weapon or armor and see how the gameplay changes and new attack opportunities appear.
3- Improve your skills.

This game is more about learning than actually grinding. You don't receive experience as a number. Your experience as a gamer increases and you'll feel that you're actually getting better and killing things faster. That's the huge appeal in monster hunter.