What is this game like?

#21InfernalLurkerPosted 8/28/2013 6:53:58 PM
GQ23 posted...
above poster has apparently reached god status....

Link to your solo super brach?

GQ23 posted...
Who told you this was a good way to get mantles?

My post is referring to grinding. ie., farming monsters for armor and weapons. Every monster you farm for armor and weapons are mindlessly easy.

And to use your own "witty" response against you...Who told you to grind on super brach solo for armor and weapons?
---
Leveling up jobs is a means to an end. It isn't content.
#22Joey-Zaza(Topic Creator)Posted 8/29/2013 5:37:33 AM
Kyoshiro12345 posted...
Joey-Zaza posted...
I've done my research and I can tell that it's a grind fest type game but what would YOU compare it to?

Or if not comparing it, just describe it. The videos can only show so much and I'm a little tight on money which is why I'm asking you.

I used to play WoW Endgame back when it was Wrath of the Lich King expansion and I really enjoyed finding better mats/gear or mats to make gear. Simple pleasures, right? If I enjoyed that, will I enjoy this game?

Also, I recently played Terraria, where it was similar in a sense that you grind for better gear to fight harder and harder bosses, until finally the wall of flesh boss, then the game shifts in difficulty and suddenely you're weak again and you pretty much start over. My problem with this game was it was too short, and getting ores but that last one has nothing to do with MH.

if you are haveing short of money the last thing you should be thinking is in videogames, you should concentrate on getting a side job and paying bills, buy food for your family, buying clothes for your kids, etc.

My definition of 'tight' is a little loose. I like to play it safe so I already have like 3-6 months expenses. I'm young, and new at my career and I'm still putting away a small amount. If I waited til I truly felt "comfortable" I'd be like 40.
---
"I guess you could say I BLUE... myself!" - Tobias Funke
-StarTropics- -Golden Sun- -Ocarina of Time-
#23Giga_GokuPosted 8/29/2013 7:22:00 AM
InfernalLurker posted...
Giga_Goku posted...
InfernalLurker posted...
When you are trying to build g rank armor sets and maxed weapons... You will feel the grind.

Except that it's not a grind. Did you not pay attention to the post before yours? That one speaks truth!

Ah, sounds like someone who is still relatively new to monster hunter.

When the monsters provide no challenge solo in G rank- when you can dodge most everything dodgeable without evasion+1, when you know exactly what the monster is going to do next, when all you have to do is mindlessly kill a monster repeatedly for its materials- fighting without thinking at all since it has now become second nature or auto-pilot... it is no longer fun. At all. Just boring. A huge grind.

Fighting a monster you clearly have complete dominion over again and again just for one particular drop is an exercise in tedium. There's no challenge. There's no fun.

You'll learn "young" one. Oh, you'll learn.

I haven't been new to Monster Hunter since the PS2. "Young" one... pffff. I've been playing this game since before people knew what it was. I don't consider anything in this game to be a grind. That just means I appreciate the game. In its entirety.
---
Currently playing "Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate" (Baklavah, HR3)
(Check quote for Hunter Data!)
#24AdmiredFobPosted 8/29/2013 9:05:06 AM
You honestly can't compare this game to other games because it's so unique. Here's how I always tell it to people:

Think of hack and slash, but there are different weapon classes. Each weapon class has a different types of move sets. After each attack you perform, you are able to evade, but only after the attack finishes.

Monsters have certain ways of fighting, and you need to learn how to exploit their abilities. You also need to learn how their hitboxes work. Just about every body part on an enemy takes different amounts of damage. Every single attack on a weapon does different damage, too. In other words, there is a damage formula. Monsters flinch after you do certain amounts of damage to certain parts of their body.

After you figure out the weapons vs monster scenario, you carve an enemy after it dies. You use their parts to make armor and weapons. Weapons have different levels of sharpness, which allow you to pierce more (because you can bounce off body parts when attacking) and do more damage. Armor protects you, but you can combine certain types to gain special abilities or skills, which will enhance your combat or give you more protection.

As the game goes on, you fight more difficult monsters and more variants of the ones you've fought at the beginning of the game. You work for you armor and weapons.

Good luck :)
---
www.youtube.com/AdmiredFob
Veteran of MH, MHF, MHF2, MHP2G, and MHFU
#25Wile-E-CoyotePosted 8/29/2013 12:19:45 PM
I can this game *can* be a grind, depending on how you approach it. I personally like the switch back and forth between a lot of different things like:

* Building/upgrading new weapons
* Building new armor sets
* Completing quests that were not required that I've never done
* Trying to master new weapon types.

Due to this approach, I have played for hundreds of hours and have not felt bored of "the grind." However, if I just try to do one of those things over and over it can get old (such as get one monster part for one weapon).

InfernalLurker posted...
When the monsters provide no challenge solo in G rank- when you can dodge most everything dodgeable without evasion+1, when you know exactly what the monster is going to do next, when all you have to do is mindlessly kill a monster repeatedly for its materials- fighting without thinking at all since it has now become second nature or auto-pilot... it is no longer fun.

I'm not sure I've ever reach this point. Kudos to you if true. I've soloed much of G rank, but most of the battles have been tough. I often guess wrong on what a quick opponent like Zinogre or Narcuga are going to do next.
#26Joey-Zaza(Topic Creator)Posted 8/30/2013 1:43:25 PM
Woo it has ARRIVED and it is FRIDAY.
---
#27Joey-Zaza(Topic Creator)Posted 9/3/2013 2:14:53 PM
Wow! So yeah I'll admit I was skeptical at first. I even told myself the game wasn't that great, but I just pushed through it, trying to learn the ropes as best I could and somewhere between 2 and 3 star quests the games appeal hit me and I fell for it.

It really hit me at Azeurous (the bear enemy, which by the way looks cool as hell) in fact I got his entire set and upgraded it as much as I can for now. This game is definitely going to eat up my time.

I just beat the first Quarpeco (sp) sorry I'm too lazy to look up names and it was tough, but that was before my set. I get a feeling its going to be easier next time.
---
#28gbattPosted 9/3/2013 4:33:25 PM
I used to be a big WoW end game addict, I quite right when Wrath came out.

I liken this game very much to that. It’s all End Game bosses and you fight them over and over to get their “Mats” to build up awesome armor and epic weapons. Its everything I loved about WoW in a neat little package I can play anytime, anywhere (I play on the 3DS). I picked up another 3DS and a copy of the game for my son and now I am planning to purchase a Wii U, JUST FOR THIS GAME! Being able to group with others to take down an epic monster so I can get that last drop I need form a monster to complete the armor set…yes… I very much love this game!

I am at the very end of High Level Moga Village (single player, basically that’s all there is, credit roll)/HR5 online play, so I am about to break into G Rank (Goldbeard to take down) and I expect the game to take a dramatic shift for me. So far it’s all been about my armor and weapons to take down the monsters, sure I have learned to run around and strike at certain monsters, but for the most part it’s just been running in and pounding the crap out of them while guzzling potions. From what I understand (and anyone feel free to correct me if I am wrong) in G Rank, monster can one-shot you regardless of what you’re wearing, so it is more about learning the how to bring down a monster (the whole “hit a lot, not get hit” mentality), and honestly I am very much looking forward to this.

At over 150 hours and just now getting into End Game, I don’t see me putting this down any time soon. I think you’re going to love it!
---
Hello, my name is Grant....and I am a Monster Hunter weaponaholic..
#29gnomelord255Posted 9/3/2013 9:21:22 PM
Punch Out, actually. With items.
#30JinKougaPosted 9/4/2013 4:58:40 AM
Joey-Zaza posted...
Wow! So yeah I'll admit I was skeptical at first. I even told myself the game wasn't that great, but I just pushed through it, trying to learn the ropes as best I could and somewhere between 2 and 3 star quests the games appeal hit me and I fell for it.

It really hit me at Azeurous (the bear enemy, which by the way looks cool as hell) in fact I got his entire set and upgraded it as much as I can for now. This game is definitely going to eat up my time.

I just beat the first Quarpeco (sp) sorry I'm too lazy to look up names and it was tough, but that was before my set. I get a feeling its going to be easier next time.

If you think that pedobear looks badass and epic,there are still more monsters that are way more epic than Arzuros.
---
"Yep,this game is a grind-fest.This game is not for you.Go back playing Farmville.Freakin' casuals."