Switch Axes. What's your take on it, community?

#1Giga_GokuPosted 8/28/2013 5:01:55 AM
Hey everyone! Another morning, another long day at work. Why not start it off with answering a question that I seem to be hearing from a lot of co-workers and friends? Is the Switch Axe worth it?

My own feelings on the weapon are simple:

Switch Axes are extremely versatile weapons. While in "Axe Mode", you have reach, mobility and a couple of combos, all with a decent swing speed. It allows you a medium melee range with a little bit of leeway for dodging those crazy munsters. On the flipside, there's the "Sword Mode" which allows for almost Greatsword level swings, in quick succession with different Phials adding some rather useful (and awesome) effects (Power, Paralysis, Poison, Exhaustion, Elemental and Dragon).

Let's rate this bad boy shall we?

Power: 4/5
Versatility: 4/5
Mobility: 3/5
Combat Effectiveness: 4/5
Overall: 4/5

I love this weapon, and it has come a long way from the uselessness it was in Tri. I'll admit I didn't play Tri much as I didn't own it, but I always liked the idea behind the Switch Axe. Sadly it felt FAR underpowered back then. They seem to have fixed it now :)

What about you guys? What are your thoughts on the Switch Axe?
---
Currently playing "Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate" (Baklavah, HR1)
(Check quote for Hunter Data!)
#2PhoenixWroggiPosted 8/28/2013 5:15:50 AM
a question that I seem to be hearing from a lot of co-workers and friends? Is the Switch Axe worth it?

Do you work at Gamestop or something?
---
"Lupus! Is it lupus?" -George Costanza
"It's never lupus." -Dr. Gregory House
#3Giga_Goku(Topic Creator)Posted 8/28/2013 5:27:23 AM
PhoenixWroggi posted...
a question that I seem to be hearing from a lot of co-workers and friends? Is the Switch Axe worth it?

Do you work at Gamestop or something?

I do not. I'm a game tester.
---
Currently playing "Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate" (Baklavah, HR3)
#4ScubaRec0nPosted 8/28/2013 6:57:37 AM
Ive Held this thought on Swax...Great Power and you dont need any dedicated skills so just pack on the offensive skills
#5Wile-E-CoyotePosted 8/28/2013 7:27:22 AM
I feel the SwAxe is extremely effective, especially when in Sword Mode with a Power Phial. I can generally get my fastest times with a SwAxe even though I have very little experience with it.
#6Holy_forksPosted 8/28/2013 8:18:50 AM
It wasn't that the SX was underpowered in tri but that lance,LS and prc medguns were so OP.

I know a lot of people keep touting how much the SX in axe mode has great reach and maneuverability but its reach is barely more than sword mode. The normal SX combo has the same reach as sword. Its forward thrust is only slightly longer than swordmode's thrust and has longer recovery. The upswing has long recovery and is very prone to friendly fire. Its only other good anti air mode is the standing downswing and it has the same reach as a swordmode downswing.

I don't think there's any point in even mentioning axe mode since swordmode (even without powerphials) eclipses it totally. Your goal in axe mode should be attacking while waiting for a window to reload.

After you take out axemode only as a viable tactic the weapon isn't so different from LS. And really isn't as versatile as it first appears. Not needing any skills to reach its full potential is a good upside though.
---
MH3U/NNID : Holyfork Hr:100+
#7Giga_Goku(Topic Creator)Posted 8/28/2013 9:11:50 AM
Holy_forks posted...
It wasn't that the SX was underpowered in tri but that lance,LS and prc medguns were so OP.

I know a lot of people keep touting how much the SX in axe mode has great reach and maneuverability but its reach is barely more than sword mode. The normal SX combo has the same reach as sword. Its forward thrust is only slightly longer than swordmode's thrust and has longer recovery. The upswing has long recovery and is very prone to friendly fire. Its only other good anti air mode is the standing downswing and it has the same reach as a swordmode downswing.

I don't think there's any point in even mentioning axe mode since swordmode (even without powerphials) eclipses it totally. Your goal in axe mode should be attacking while waiting for a window to reload.

After you take out axemode only as a viable tactic the weapon isn't so different from LS. And really isn't as versatile as it first appears. Not needing any skills to reach its full potential is a good upside though.

You make a few good points Holy_forks. I always seem to be using the Sword Mode in any case. Axe Mode happens to be a useful alternative until I manage to catch a break to reload. And if I can't reload, it'll recharge.

Regardless of Axe Modes few flaws, it can be helpful. And yeah, its full potential can be reached without skills. Doesn't mean skills won't make it better! :D
---
Currently playing "Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate" (Baklavah, HR3)
#8AnubistheHoundPosted 8/28/2013 9:50:18 AM
My personal take on the SA, great power and versatility on land, underwater meh, maybe its just me but it's a tad harder to use underwater.

Of course that can be said about other weapons as well
---
GT-DeadWeightJosh
#9kingjam1Posted 8/28/2013 1:19:45 PM
I hate how Power Phial is the best phial and how Sword Mode is more powerful though I love using it.
There are less underpowered than they were in Tri though I still feel the Low Rank ones are too weak.
---
Can't think of anything
#10EarthshakerPosted 8/28/2013 8:17:20 PM
I just can't get a feel for them. Plus they have the whole stigma from Tri of how terrible they felt there, what with the poor damage ratios and being overshadowed by lances whose non-base forms had 45% affinity.

Man, Barioth weapons were cheese ;)
---
[Bracketeer from 1/15/05 to 1/15/08.]
Sproink.