Is it so bad to use ranged weapons in Elder Dragon fights?

#1TheDebaucheryPosted 10/27/2013 9:33:25 AM
Lower armour for greater attack range. Worth it? - Results (127 votes)
Always go melee. Don't risk being OHKO'd.
7.09% (9 votes)
Ranged is perfectly fine if you aren't a total n00b about it.
49.61% (63 votes)
Some dragons you can range, some you shouldn't.
14.96% (19 votes)
Do whatever you want. I wouldn't take issue.
28.35% (36 votes)
This poll is now closed.
So... context.

I've had a few people get annoyed at me in certain fights against certain rather large enemies... because I was wearing Gunner armour.

To put things in perspective, I prefer to use my bows against the Elder Dragons ... mainly because they're freakin huge, high off the ground, and generally out of range of my melee weps most of the time.
On average, I don't get smacked around half as much as the melee fighters... BUT naturally when I do get smacked, it does a lot more damage. I do faint now and again. It is inevitable. So do other people... Except if I faint in Blademaster gear, nobody bats an eyelid. If I faint in Gunner gear, suddenly it is because I'm "not wearing real armor" or something like that.

I've been given grief in both Hallowed Jhen Moran battles and Alatreon battles. So far nobody has taken issue with my using a bow against Dire Miralis... which is just as well as I hate trying to melee that guy.
I only fought the Alatreon once, and we failed... though I wasn't the one who died at the end. I did however get one of them screaming abuse at me for using a bow (yes, it was my GKD). I hadn't even been using arc-shots nor shooting at ground level, so I clearly hadn't been disrupting his little choppy choppy routine.

Anyway... ramble over.
When I fight the Elder Dragons.... should I be switching by default to the heaviest armour I can use, even if it cuts down my ability to deal damage.... OR is it ok to use my Bow and do my best to evade hits (none of my bow setups has less than Evasion +1)?
#2tuffydogPosted 10/27/2013 9:55:34 AM
Some of the best hunt times I've ever seen against Goldbeard and Dire Miralis were with a bunch of guys putting out a lot of pierce shot, and that's also one of the better ways of handling Hallowed Jhen. Even Alatreon is often a lot easier if you can apply status effects like paralysis and sleep from a distance in conjunction with some good hammer users. So there's nothing inherently wrong with tackling them using ranged weaponry at all.
#3funkadeliusPosted 10/27/2013 2:30:55 PM
I have gunned off and on throughout my MH career and have found that gunners attract a tremendous amount of attention, both positive and negative.

Kelby and dragon spammers have only added to the controversy.

In the end it comes down to learning your trade. A good gunner can go toe to toe with anything while supporting his or her team and dealing damage.they are also able to work well with any group, not just other gunners. This takes technical knowledge, practice and intuition. A player who has mastered bows and bowguns should be able to earn respect. Players who can't appreciate the skill of their teammates are worthwhile.
---
Glorious! Don't be afraid to lead the world with thy sword.
#4UlNinPosted 10/28/2013 4:42:08 AM
Speedrun farm rooms are often range-only. Miralis, Jhen and Ceadeus are all lv3 sponges for either Pierce or Normal, letting bowguns increase their already substantial rate of damage. Versus Alatreon, one God's Archipelago can deliver two Sleeps for bombing and two Para-KO's. Plus Cluster wing breaks.

My suggestion is that next time someone tells you to change into higher Defense armour, you leave the room. Not because your Defense is too low, but because you shouldn't be wasting your time with idiots.
---
Confession Time: I am a button masher
#5LionHeartSJTPosted 10/31/2013 8:11:16 AM
I agree with everyone here
I've only really been gunning since Tri (and all the others were not that great IMO) and i love it.

I have had multiple people appologise to me because i can do more damage as a bow/gunner than their "pro" team mates.

Igore them, prove them wrong.
Then leave. . . .point proven
#6dexter1984Posted 10/31/2013 3:21:18 PM
Range weapons are one of the best to use against the Elder Dragons.

4 random HBGs will decimate Dire Miralis and Goldbeard.
A single Kelbi Bow can break Jhen parts very easily.
4 Miralis LBG kills Abyssal in 3 minutes.
3 Kelbis + God's breaks Alatreon horns and complete the quest in 5 minutes too.

Seriously, people just don't know how good range is. I had a snobbish GS guy who thought he was good with Alatreon until I told him about my 5 minutes run.
Another guy was flabbergasted that I would even consider using a HBG against Goldbeard. The clear time shut him up.
#7Holy_forksPosted 10/31/2013 10:04:06 PM
Where is the "playing melee vs elder drags is noobish" option? LBG/HBG usually do more damage than melee weapons vs elder drags since they are very rarely out of range and can hit weakpoints while other weps cant. See also any above post, Gods archipelago or any siege PRC setup.

I think the problem is that you were using bow which is generally regarded as weak. I have no idea what your setup is but usually unless your using an optimal (min/max) set bows kindof struggle to stay in the same dps range as melee or guns.

Im not going to assume anything but if you were using eva on your set vs an elder dragon I doubt it was that good. Evasion is wasted since almost every hitbox is too big to roll through. The only one I can think of is Ala claw swipe and Jhen tusk swipe but those require eva2.
---
MH3U/NNID : holyfork 3DS FC:1504-5787-9398 Pidgey, Tranquil, Fletchinder
#8CoolMasterPTPosted 11/1/2013 3:40:37 AM
Holy_forks posted...

The only one I can think of is Ala claw swipe and Jhen tusk swipe but those require eva2.

I'm not sure about ala, but you can roll through jhen's tusks using only evasion+1. Not sure if it's possible without, i can't. But +2 isn't necessary.
#9hadiwinataPosted 11/1/2013 6:39:04 AM
I would never EVER even think about using melee weapons on any species of caedeus again.

Hbg with good normal 3 shots just pummels through that water goatfish like blade of fire through butter.

So, NO.....I dont think range weapons arent good for elder dragons....dont get ne started on how hbg murders jhen with ease.
---
my friend is really stupid that when he fills a form, under SEX: he filled in YES PLEASE ..........>__
#10TheDebauchery(Topic Creator)Posted 11/1/2013 11:59:01 AM
hadiwinata posted...
I would never EVER even think about using melee weapons on any species of caedeus again.

Hbg with good normal 3 shots just pummels through that water goatfish like blade of fire through butter.

So, NO.....I dont think range weapons arent good for elder dragons....dont get ne started on how hbg murders jhen with ease.

At this rate I might end up converting to the HBG cause.... the way people go on and on about it.
Not sure what is so great about it, but I get the impression it is more accurate for sniping than my usual ranged choice of the bow (specifically the Rysurrection these days).