What is a good Dual Swords armor progression?

#1Jake JohnsonPosted 11/5/2013 4:10:56 AM
See topic.

My current character uses Dual Swords, and I really like them!

I am currently wearing full Alloy Armor (Speed Sharpener.)

I read that Speed Sharpener (which Alloy Armor has) is the best friend of a DS'er - because the blades lose sharpness quicker than other weapon styles.

I also read that the next armor set that has Speed Sharpener is Rathalos.

Is this a good armor progression for a DS'er:

Alloy
Rathalos
Alloy+ (high-rank Alloy)
Rathalos + (high-rank Rathalos - I probably for the name wrong)
and so on into G-Rank

Also, suggestions as how to gem my armor would be appreciated.
---
3DS FC: 5069-4018-8209
#2Jake Johnson(Topic Creator)Posted 11/5/2013 4:14:03 AM
BTW, he is currently on the four-star quests; hasn't yet faced normal Gigginox; a good DS that can help handle Nox that I can craft at that point would help, also!

Also, as far as armor against Gigginox, he's ready: a full set of Wroggi blade armor.
---
3DS FC: 5069-4018-8209
#3DeadlySanityPosted 11/5/2013 8:07:22 AM
Alloy -> Wroggi -> Wroggi S -> Rath Soul -> G-Rank

There's a bunch of good G-rank armors (i.e. Yamato Prime) for different occasions and playstyles. So while you're progressing through the game you really should find out which skills match your playstyle and go for those. The most general skills for DS, Sharpness / Sharpener / Handicraft, are always a good option, but some people really need Marathon Runner to keep the archdemon mode on, while others really enjoy evasion+1 so they can dodge through attacks and stick to the enemy. Of course Honed Blade (edgemaster) is always a good choice once you get to that point, especially if you have a +2 or +3 talisman so you can customize the set.

Rath Soul can easily get you through to upper G Rank, at that point you can really begin to make the game yours, make your own personalized armor sets with skills tailored to your personalized playstyle.

A few general skills to look out for:
Edgemaster (Nether set only)
Handicraft
Sharpness
Sharpener
Attack up (L)
Critical Eye +3 (better than AuL if your modified damage is 378+)
Rock Steady
Earplugs
Ele Attack Up (if using high elemental DS)
Bombardier (if using Dios)
Chalenger

Less general, more personal skills:
Stam Drain (if you have trouble maintaining Archdemon mode)
Evasion (if you're going to bother to use it; great in-fighting)
Gloves Off (amazing if you get hit and heal often)

etc.
#4hadiwinataPosted 11/5/2013 8:19:45 AM
Your ultimate goal for a ds specialized armor would evebtually be the hallowed jhen mohran armor. The Yamato Prime for male.

It has 2 skills thats pretty much impossible to get outside of that specific armor because the skills cancels each other out when gemming.

You get sharpness +1 and razor sharp. Along with 50 health and enough slot for pretty much any skills you want
---
my friend is really stupid that when he fills a form, under SEX: he filled in YES PLEASE ..........>__
#5DeadlySanityPosted 11/5/2013 10:22:52 AM
hadiwinata posted...
Your ultimate goal for a ds specialized armor would evebtually be the hallowed jhen mohran armor. The Yamato Prime for male.

It has 2 skills thats pretty much impossible to get outside of that specific armor because the skills cancels each other out when gemming.

You get sharpness +1 and razor sharp. Along with 50 health and enough slot for pretty much any skills you want

With my Table 10 sniped charm (edgemaster+3, sharpness+5) I made an armor set with Handicraft, Attack up (L), Razor Sharp, and 10 open slots in the armor alone. :-p

However, with nothing more than a edgemaster+2 talisman you can easily manage the same skills and 6 open slots on the armor. Or you could mix it up a million different ways, such as throwing on the Sword Saint Earring (prevents bouncing) when necessary, etc.
#6TheDebaucheryPosted 11/5/2013 2:31:50 PM
I went:

Jaggi > Wroggi > Wroggi S > Lagi U > Selene (Helios) ZZZXZ > Lambent
... The catch being that I put my DBing on hold after the Selene to focus on using a Bow instead, which meant a slow of Gunner armour... BUT that is beside the point.

I also got some Narga X armour for evasive purposes.... and I'm prepping to make Nether and Grand Hyuga...

hadiwinata posted...

Yamato / Hyuga Prime gives Handicraft and Sharpness, sure... and it even has a nice few slots.... BUT...
... the extra health is totally unnecessary for anyone who eats food (and doesn't die much) ... while the -Stamina is potentially crippling to a DB user if not cancelled (goodbye slots).

Honestly, I'd say its really not worth it just to go chasing after the Sharpness skill... even for a DB user. The H.Jhen gear lost its appeal to me ages ago.
#7surgemaster140Posted 11/5/2013 9:15:42 PM
TheDebauchery posted...
I went:

Jaggi > Wroggi > Wroggi S > Lagi U > Selene (Helios) ZZZXZ > Lambent
... The catch being that I put my DBing on hold after the Selene to focus on using a Bow instead, which meant a slow of Gunner armour... BUT that is beside the point.

I also got some Narga X armour for evasive purposes.... and I'm prepping to make Nether and Grand Hyuga...

hadiwinata posted...

Yamato / Hyuga Prime gives Handicraft and Sharpness, sure... and it even has a nice few slots.... BUT...
... the extra health is totally unnecessary for anyone who eats food (and doesn't die much) ... while the -Stamina is potentially crippling to a DB user if not cancelled (goodbye slots).

Honestly, I'd say its really not worth it just to go chasing after the Sharpness skill... even for a DB user. The H.Jhen gear lost its appeal to me ages ago.

You only need to sacrifice one slot to negate Short Sprinter, and even so you can pop a (Mega) Dash Juice if stamina is a problem for you. Razor Sharp is incredibly useful for DBs which loses sharpness faster than all other weapon types. Yes, Health +50 is usually wasted on the armor set, but the Sharpness +1 and Razor Sharp combo lets DB users maintain purple sharpness as long as possible, significantly increasing the DPS of the weapon.
---
"And so ends an adventure I'd like to call the Legend of Groose."
#8hadiwinataPosted 11/6/2013 3:45:10 AM
it's great for Solo play where you dont have a lot of time to sharpen, short sprinter is like a bad skill that cant even be classified as bad skill. they dont have any impact on anything you do....if all else fail there' JUICE BAM infinite stamina.

health + 50 is a good bonus skill, not a necessity, but its good to have.other than the 000 000 00 slots you can also have talismans with slots and on your weapon. negating short sprinter is so easy, and not negating it also makes little to no difference.

the Yamato/Hyuga prime is one of the best blademaster set in the game, iirc you're a range hunter. of course you wont like the armor as much, but to a blademaster/longsword/ds/sns user it is a darn useful set of armor.

it's not the most damaging set in the game, but its one of the more flexible offensive armor set available...the slots, so many possibilities :

evade, challenger, rock steady, AUL, crit eye 3, carving master, great luck, elmnt up, status up....dude..pick a skill almost any skill you want and you can put that on the armor with ease.
---
my friend is really stupid that when he fills a form, under SEX: he filled in YES PLEASE ..........>__
#9TheDebaucheryPosted 11/6/2013 10:27:43 AM
hadiwinata posted...
it's not the most damaging set in the game, but its one of the more flexible offensive armor set available...the slots, so many possibilities :

evade, challenger, rock steady, AUL, crit eye 3, carving master, great luck, elmnt up, status up....dude..pick a skill almost any skill you want and you can put that on the armor with ease.

Most armour-sets will let you stick "a skill" on there. With some of them they might be nice enough to let you put two skills on... More importantly though... most armour sets worth using have more useful skills on them than one good and one so-so skill.

And having to rely on Dash Juice or MDJ to compensate for short sprinter is just another hurdle one is better off without.
#10surgemaster140Posted 11/6/2013 5:32:18 PM
TheDebauchery posted...
hadiwinata posted...

Most armour-sets will let you stick "a skill" on there. With some of them they might be nice enough to let you put two skills on... More importantly though... most armour sets worth using have more useful skills on them than one good and one so-so skill.

And having to rely on Dash Juice or MDJ to compensate for short sprinter is just another hurdle one is better off without.

Razor Sharp is nowhere near so-so. The Sharpness +1 and Razor Sharp combo is a godsend for every blademaster weapon except Lucent Narga's and Alatreon's. Personally I'd rather deal with slightly crippled stamina than losing sharpness every 3 Demon Dances.
---
"And so ends an adventure I'd like to call the Legend of Groose."