I knew the Wii U version was a rushed port before, but...wow.

#1CmaBoyPosted 2/13/2014 2:10:28 AM
After a few practice runs in Moga Woods with a shiny new Pro Controller, I think I've figured out why there's such a divide over whether or not the Wii U version of MH3U has performance issues that the 3DS version lacks. The answer is that it actually depends on arbitrary ingame options.

While it's pretty unanimous that MH3U for Wii U has framerate issues, these appear worse with the regular GamePad display setting. By changing the option to have the GamePad instead mirror the TV screen, the game appears to run a lot smoother, at the cost of not being able to use touch panels (or even see the map, if it was on a panel before).

The more arguable problem of input lag seems to depend on what controller you're using; the game only accepts input from one controller type, which you can change from the main menu. With the default GamePad option, it seemed to take 5-10 or so frames for my hunter to respond to any button press. With the Wii U Pro Controller enabled instead, the delay was negligible; I got the same near-instant response time I do on the 3DS version.

I don't know if this is just the result of poorly optimizing the game for an unfamiliar piece of hardware or what, but the main issue seems to be the GamePad in both cases. If anyone else has a WUPC/CCP and would like to test for themselves, I'd like to see if anyone else gets the same results (and I'm not just crazy, lol).

tl;dr: GamePad seems to worsen the game's performance. If you're sensitive to low framerate/high input delay, try switching to off-screen mode and non-GamePad controls before starting the game, and see if you notice a difference.
---
Brasparo: 4167-4596-2791
#2VeiledGenesisPosted 2/13/2014 3:50:30 AM
I still haven't experienced these issues. The game runs nearly flawless. I say nearly only because I'm sure something will happen eventually.
---
That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.
#3OxygenSupplyPosted 2/13/2014 4:11:24 AM
I am sensitive to input lag and playing on the Wii U GamePad screen with the GamePad buttons or the Wii Classic Controller Pro is no different than playing on the TV. Here's a slow-motion video showing the input lag compared with MH3 on the same console/TV/controller: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh1HA_hNgsw
I don't notice any framerate difference either. I believe you should do precise comparisons like in the two videos I'm linking before jumping to conclusions about an hypothetical impact on performance.

Coming from Tri on Wii, I cannot be disappointed with MH3U's framerate because it is an improvement. Tri was ~30fps with dips (D.Island area 8 with Rathian/Rathalos, Deviljho in some areas etc.) while MH3U is ~38fps with dips (Jhen Mohran's back, D.Island area 5 in the water, some water effects such as Ceadeus/Plesioth/Lagiacrus tail whip), which is better. Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2ah3zDB-sM&hd=1

For me, the top technical issues of the Wii U version are:
1) Input lag (delay between pressing a button and seeing the resulting action on the screen)
2) Lack of host migration in online multiplayer (city closed when host quits)
3) Font size. OMG my eyes.

Framerate comes wayy after, and it's not perfect on the 3DS anyway, multiple dips as well. It just has a higher average framerate.

---
Ping's MH3G Dex: A free multilingual MH3U database for Windows/Android/iOS.
https://sites.google.com/site/pingsdex/pingsmh3gdex/en_us
#4TaladasharPosted 2/13/2014 8:10:24 AM
I've only played 3U on the 3DS+CPP and on the Wii-U only using the game pad as both controller and main screen.

I've yet to notice any issues.
---
( \ ( \"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain, It's time to roll the dice ."
(=^:^) So sayeth the cute bunny
#5realestatemanPosted 2/13/2014 8:28:11 AM
I played on the 3DS first and then exclusively on just the gamepad because my TV was terrible.
I now play on an actually decent TV.

I have had no issues.
---
We can be quiet together, and pretend- since it is only the beginning- that we have all the time in the world.
3DS FC: 0576-3967-6534
#6CmaBoy(Topic Creator)Posted 2/13/2014 2:29:10 PM
OxygenSupply posted...
I am sensitive to input lag and playing on the Wii U GamePad screen with the GamePad buttons or the Wii Classic Controller Pro is no different than playing on the TV. Here's a slow-motion video showing the input lag compared with MH3 on the same console/TV/controller: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh1HA_hNgsw
I don't notice any framerate difference either. I believe you should do precise comparisons like in the two videos I'm linking before jumping to conclusions about an hypothetical impact on performance.

That's odd... I wonder if it's just the Wii U Pro Controller then, and not the original Wii Classic Controller (Pro). If it makes any difference, mine is a third party model--the Wii U Pro Elite by PowerA--though I'm not sure why it would be any different from the first party model aside from size and aesthetics.

While I haven't done any precise frame or sub-frame comparisons (since I don't have any decent recording hardware, and I'm sure wireless controllers are always going to have some delay), there was definitely a difference between control settings. Any time I've played using only the GamePad, the delay is noticeably awful, throwing off any attempt to evade through attacks. Switching to the WUPC, the delay was negligible; there might have been a little more than the 3DS version, but not enough to make the game virtually unplayable in late G Rank like the GamePad.

I wish it were easier to test the input delay issue in particular too, since there's such a wild variety of reports on how bad it actually is and so many variables that seem to affect it. Ideally it wouldn't even be an issue of course... An "HD Version" of a game released on more powerful hardware should not have inferior/inconsistent performance compared to a simultaneous handheld release, let alone all the other issues it has. If it weren't for online play, I'd never have considered the Wii U release at all.
---
Brasparo: 4167-4596-2791
#7ZennouPosted 2/13/2014 3:26:26 PM
CmaBoy posted...
That's odd... I wonder if it's just the Wii U Pro Controller then, and not the original Wii Classic Controller (Pro). If it makes any difference, mine is a third party model--the Wii U Pro Elite by PowerA--though I'm not sure why it would be any different from the first party model aside from size and aesthetics.

FWIW, I play exclusively with a first-party Pro controller that came with my Wii U (got the Zombi U bundle because the Monster Hunter bundle never came to the US) and have never noticed these issues. I played with the Gamepad a couple times when I first got the console just to see what it felt like and didn't notice any issues with that either.

It might be because yours is a third-party model but I'm right with you not knowing why that would make a difference with the game's performance. But then again, people have been on the fence about this issue for ages. Some people run into it, many don't.