Helios ZZZXZ - a Wroggi alternative to the X Waist (and the Lagia Sapphires)

#1FarlaffPosted 2/13/2014 10:48:59 AM(edited)
I have been playing the game for sometime but not posted much (heck, I came back here to Gamefaqs this very week after more than 2 years away). Differently from what I did on Tri, this time I decided I wanted to go online only after having a set that made me feel comfortable to. I think I found it and will probably debut on group hunts next Saturday.

Thing is, there are many mentions to the Helios ZZZXZ. I myself loved the similar mix that existed in Tri, which was my main armour then. So, when I got to G-Rank and after doing some research, I decided to give it a try. I look on MHag and see that not one, but two Lagia Sapphires are needed. I check my record and box only to conclude that, after almost 30 Lagis down and about four plates, no Sapphire (and no Desire Sensor shenanigans, since I was not looking for that material lol). But I got 2 dragongems (one brought by melynx Cha-Cha) from my second G-Ceadeus so no point in giving up after being so close. Time to start checking the armour charts and do so math for alternatives. Did that on Tuesday, same day I began to farm both G Ceadeus (for remaining parts) and Diablos (thought of using its chest initially) and, in the middle, came to the conclusion you can just put the WroggiX chest with the rest of Helios Z. Here's the result:

http://mhag.info/mhtrig/viewset.htm?s=Easy+Helios+Z+mix+%3a+G.B.H.246.0.C.188.0.A.243.0.W.239.1.44.L.249.0

Like I emphasized on the other thread (http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/642342-monster-hunter-3-ultimate/68509429), the number AND quality of remaining slots is the same. Plus, the set is more versatile in that you can simply ditch HGE for Earplugs and profit from the now 3 free slots, something that cannot be done with the ZZZXZ set. Here are the results for the sake of comparison:

http://mhag.info/mhtrig/viewset.htm?s=Unnamed%20Set%20:%20G.B.H.246.0.C.188.0.A.243.0.W.239.0.L.249.0

Vs:

http://mhag.info/mhtrig/viewset.htm?s=Unnamed%20Set%20:%20G.B.H.246.0.C.250.0.A.243.0.W.237.0.L.249.0

I've read many threads and did not see this option before (but i could be wrong). So maybe this can be of help to people trying to build ZZZXZ and failing because of Sapphire.

TL;DR (first time I ever used this lol; I'm a bit old for these slangs) If you want HGE and Sharp+1, but don't want to farm for Lagia Sapphires, use this.

I put it together just yesterday and it also looks cool for the ones that care about appearance.
---
Monster Hunter Tri: Feeble - HR 150+
Monster Hunter TriU: Fible
#2UlNinPosted 2/13/2014 11:30:49 AM
Seems legit.

Another bonus is that you get 10 more points of Dragon Resist. This takes you from the staggeringly terrible -35 to the merely very bad -25. And while elemental resist lol, -35 Dragon makes Jho breath even more threatening than it starts out. I mean, I would still eat for Dragon Resist versus Stygian, but I'd be less worried about Jho and Jho intrusions. The other changes to elemental resist aren't a big deal except Water going from 20 to 13, which still leaves you immune to Waterblight, but no longer immune to Severe Waterblight. owait - is it 25 for Severe Blight immunity? I don't remember.

And you'll also need fewer Furs, which can be an issue.

The only possible drawback is two Meldspar Ores before G Rank Volcano opens up, but Kiranico tells me that you can mine it from Sandy Plains or get it in HR6 Playing With Fire Main Rewards. And there's also the DLC quests. So, totally not a problem - especially compared to farming to Sapphires.

Nice piece of armour set design there TC.
---
Confession Time: I am a button masher
#3Farlaff(Topic Creator)Posted 2/13/2014 12:36:09 PM(edited)
@ UlNin: thanks, man. I cannot wait to have time and put this thing to test. The possibility of using only earplugs together with s+1 is something that got me happy.

On the Meldspar Ores matter that you correctly drew attention to (I had sincerely not considered it - good call!), I can say that I have not done any Volcano mining missions on G, since I have just started it and, to be honest, there are few 7* quests that I have done since I've been planning all my steps to have an almost perfect file (I have a total of 3 faints in all my ~300 hunts so far). They probably came to me while I was on my initial quest to get the Diablos X Chest. The mining spot on the Sandy Nest (where monsters sleep) generally gives you one if you decide to mine after getting the carves/capping the monster.
---
Monster Hunter Tri: Feeble - HR 150+
Monster Hunter TriU: Fible
#4evillockePosted 2/13/2014 2:04:01 PM
or, you know, you could just use a vangis coil.
---
Rathian armor is not good. Ever.
MH4: HR80+. PM me if you want to play!
#5Sturm_the_DarkPosted 2/13/2014 2:30:20 PM(edited)
evillocke posted...

This is true, but the Vangis Coil doesn't offer as much versatility (i.e. free slots) as TC's set.

Anyway, this is an awesome setup. I'm surprised more people haven't picked up on this and instead emphasise Helios ZZZXZ - maybe it's something to do with group psychology? I can't see any drawbacks of using this set versus Helios X waist, except the incredibly minor 4 points in defense.
---
"A revolution is not a dinner party, or writing an essay, or painting a picture, or doing embroidery." - Mao Zedong
#6UlNinPosted 2/13/2014 2:39:48 PM
evillocke posted...

The Vangis Coil option ZZZVZ has the advantage of requiring one fewer Dark Dragongems at the cost of one more Deviljho gem and a pile more Furs. It's disadvantages are a loss of a OO, the inability to step down from HGE to regular plugs while gaining a OOO and continued terribad Dragon Res (as opposed to merely very bad Dragon Res).

TC's set is clearly superior.
---
#7UlNinPosted 2/13/2014 2:51:38 PM
Propagating this topic to other message boards. I had thought ZZZXZ was the strongest set you could get before Miralis, but this is objectively superior.
---
#8AxelPoePosted 2/13/2014 3:33:23 PM
I must be missing something... but what is special about this set?
---
[{o}] Hope Never Dies [{o}] Est: 1982
#9G3neric_UserPosted 2/13/2014 4:12:53 PM
Would you mind dropping us this set over on the 3DS board? There is quite the bunch of almost fresh G-Rankers, they might appreciate it.
---
A Oatrige mid am Bugl und an sechzehna Blech bitte!
So, und wer das versteht darf sich gerne auf selbiges mit mir treffen. Vor allem auf Letzteres.
#10UlNinPosted 2/13/2014 4:21:12 PM
AxelPoe posted...
I must be missing something... but what is special about this set?

1. It is easier to farm than ZZZXZ since it does not require Sapphires. Also fewer Furs.
2. It can be set up exactly as ZZZXZ since it has the same skills (S+1 and HGE) and armour slots. Caveat, it would be harder to get Water Atk +2 with this set. But otherwise the same.
3. For quests where HGE is not required and regular plugs will do, you get a OOO back. Something ZZZXZ does not provide.
And on a much less important scale,
4. The extremely terrible Dragon Resist of ZZZXZ is mitigated to merely very bad.
---