Weapon damage modifiers?

#1OverlordMondoPosted 4/30/2014 11:10:14 PM
So I could be wrong on this, because it might've changed since Tri, but...

In Tri (and presumably here) every weapon had a damage modifier that divided its base damage by some amount. These were different for every weapon, but the effect of this was actually normalizing damage. You'd have hammers with these huge damage numbers, but their modifier was also very large, and once hit by it, things generally all lined up.

The way I usually remembered these modifiers is by weapon increments. Like, if I look at the hunting horns, the Nether Flute and Nether Sinphony have a 46 point gap between them. If you go through the list, every single hunting horn has a damage number divisible by 46 and there is no smaller increment between weapons. This leads me to believe that the modifier is 4.6.

Now, if you look at swords, the numbers are all way lower. Just grabbing a random high one, I see a 336. Way lower than the 1196 from the hunting horns I referenced. If you look at the increment between the Alatreon Star and Altheos Zodiac, though, it's a rather meager 14 damage upgrade. I know just by looking it up that in Tri (non-ultimate) the modifier for the sword was 1.4.

If we go ahead and modify these damage numbers with their always on weapon specific modifiers, we get the Nether Sinphony at 260 and the Mighty Gigantreon at also 260. (Both types of weapons have stronger examples, but those come with negative affinity, so I'll assume this is really the top of the line and a good comparison.) They're completely even.

So my questions is "Why does the game list numbers and then change the numbers to other numbers that imply a very different thing?"
---
"Life ceases. Hope fails. You win"
- Hecatomb Trading Card Game
#2mattscottsheaPosted 5/1/2014 4:43:19 AM
The multipliers are for show. The base number is for weapon parity, but who wants to see a GS with the same power as an SnS.
#3evillockePosted 5/1/2014 7:16:33 AM
p3rd didnt

but lol that game
---
JP 3DS FC:2809-9141-2284 MH4: HR170+
I made a blog about Hermit Crabs http://hermitcrabs.siterubix.com/
#4FrozenSpeartunaPosted 5/1/2014 12:35:07 PM
The displayed "fake" raw is there so people don't play p3rd and go "ZOMG lbg does the same damage as HBG? why would I ever use an HBG?"

Basically to give you the impression that certain weapons deal more damage per hit since we don't see damage numbers or attack values. Without a guide or anything no one is going to know that a GS slash does like 48% damage and that a SnS hit does like 14%. So there needs to be an indicator somewhere, even if it's a false/misleading one.
#5OverlordMondo(Topic Creator)Posted 5/1/2014 7:48:46 PM
FrozenSpeartuna posted...
The displayed "fake" raw is there so people don't play p3rd and go "ZOMG lbg does the same damage as HBG? why would I ever use an HBG?"

Basically to give you the impression that certain weapons deal more damage per hit since we don't see damage numbers or attack values. Without a guide or anything no one is going to know that a GS slash does like 48% damage and that a SnS hit does like 14%. So there needs to be an indicator somewhere, even if it's a false/misleading one.

Ah, yeah, I suppose that makes sense.
---
"Life ceases. Hope fails. You win"
- Hecatomb Trading Card Game