What do you always carry on you?

#41vorlik29Posted 7/20/2014 7:50:52 PM
I meant I'm elitist, or may be perceived that way. Lots of GFAQ's Monster Hunter boards have a reputation for their active members being that way, caring about optimization and speed runs and such.

To me it's how you approach the game. As you get better, you'll be hit less, you'll fall back on cautious potion use over time, and you'll develop an aggressive, efficient playstyle. Sure people die that way rarely, but the majority of the time when they aren't dying they are contributing more, be it through damage or item use that they otherwise wouldn't have due to lack of item space or defensive potion chugging.

The whole discussion reminds me of turtle lancers versus evade lancers back in Tri. Both could succeed, but evade lancing has traditionally been seen as the better eventual approach, albeit more aggressive or risky.
---
MH3U: Vorlik
3DS FC: 4167-5467-3939
#42AnnihilatorSolPosted 7/20/2014 9:39:16 PM
Some people just don't play to get speed runs/efficient runs. Unless they specifically say so..

And yeah I rarely die, but I do die online. Maybe cause I'm so used to playing solo that playing in group has become infinitely easier, but the frustration of almost finishing up a long quest (double brachy for example), and failing when he is limping due to someone dying is just crazy. I'm not a rager but I do rage now when people does that 3 runs in a row.

And looking at most people's "what do they bring on a quest" list. Only three people mentioned life powders. I mean come on guys, you can't get mad at someone for getting combo'd to death. You play as a team, it's not about who is better or not dying it's about trying to save a comrade if he/they are about to die. For goodness sake, bring lifepowders!

If 3 people in your team is all about "efficient hunting" and they end up costing an unsuccessful quest that's where things go sour. I don't care what people's ways of hunting is, but when you are in a group, please pay attention to your contribution, you can't say you are doing the most damage hence you are the most important person no. I rather hunt monsters for 30 minutes that spending 30 minutes not clearing quests.

I hope more people starts bringing more heals. It doesn't mean you are bad at this game, it means you are nice enough to prioritize clearing the quest than failing it due to ego. If you wanna play serious put in the room, serious players only, or speedrun.

And yeah people f up I understand that, but when you cart stop playing super aggressive maybe you need to cool your head or something or it's not your day, play passively you don't do all the work, your teammates are reliable! (unless they are not attacking at all). And if it's a long quest (multiple monsters) please bring healing so you don't start typing, someone lend me megas.
#43VisceralLusterPosted 7/20/2014 10:03:23 PM
On the topic of Lifepowders: Those are situational - i.e. the situation in which you are playing with others.

That's my solo play gear, my "standard" because I play by myself most of the time. When I play with others, situational items such as Lifepowders get added.
#44CmaBoyPosted 7/20/2014 11:54:29 PM
Personal two cents: what makes 2 Max Potions superior to 10 extra Mega Potion combines is that while epic instant 150 HP to cart (or close) combos happen occasionally, regular hits should not happen more than 10 times tops.

Mega Potions are for recovering after a normal hit or two, to extend your survivability a bit. Mistakes or miscalculations happen, and it's okay to prepare for a few. It's not worth preparing for a ton of mistakes, because at that point it's probably just a matter of poor play.

Max Potions are for recovering after those few, rare, virtually inescapable Wombo Combos that wreck you even with full health. Like when a GS upswings you into a Bullfango charge into a Black Diablos tremor stomp combo into Deviljho spawning on you as the "Unstable" monster. These don't happen often, but are still devastating enough to prepare for no more than twice.

And if nothing else, 2 Max Potions can be substituted for ~5 extra Mega Potions anyway (with shorter downtime, to boot), if you're just taking a lot of weak hits. Basically, it's better to prepare for a couple really bad mistakes or terrible luck, than to overprepare for a lot of mistakes in general.

I personally do carry Mega Potion combines when solo gunning Jhen Mohran, however. There's not a whole lot you can do to avoid getting thrown off his back without sacrificing damage, and it's both frequent and pretty painful in Gunner Defense, so I treat it as a hunt-specific prep item like Hot/Cold Drinks.
---
Brasparo: 4167-4596-2791
#45arche289Posted 7/21/2014 2:13:39 AM
Lol what a topic. Elitist comment hit it on the head. I hate the idea of speed runs. Takes away from the fun of the hunt. I typically play with groups that are like me so if when I am in a room full of high powered speed runners I typically leave to find a more "human" group lol.

Anyway neither option is bad, just about play style. I took offense that you actually criticized others play style even though none said they hate carrying so much stuff.
---
Getting older but not wiser
#46KogaSteelfangPosted 7/21/2014 6:38:45 AM
CmaBoy posted...
Personal two cents: what makes 2 Max Potions superior to 10 extra Mega Potion combines is that while epic instant 150 HP to cart (or close) combos happen occasionally, regular hits should not happen more than 10 times tops.

Mega Potions are for recovering after a normal hit or two, to extend your survivability a bit. Mistakes or miscalculations happen, and it's okay to prepare for a few. It's not worth preparing for a ton of mistakes, because at that point it's probably just a matter of poor play.

Max Potions are for recovering after those few, rare, virtually inescapable Wombo Combos that wreck you even with full health. Like when a GS upswings you into a Bullfango charge into a Black Diablos tremor stomp combo into Deviljho spawning on you as the "Unstable" monster. These don't happen often, but are still devastating enough to prepare for no more than twice.

And if nothing else, 2 Max Potions can be substituted for ~5 extra Mega Potions anyway (with shorter downtime, to boot), if you're just taking a lot of weak hits. Basically, it's better to prepare for a couple really bad mistakes or terrible luck, than to overprepare for a lot of mistakes in general.

I personally do carry Mega Potion combines when solo gunning Jhen Mohran, however. There's not a whole lot you can do to avoid getting thrown off his back without sacrificing damage, and it's both frequent and pretty painful in Gunner Defense, so I treat it as a hunt-specific prep item like Hot/Cold Drinks.

Same situation as before, you say not to prepare for being hit, but should prepare for death instead.
That doesn't make sense to me, in slightest.
You're saying it's ok for someone to be combo'd to death, but not for them to survive that combo and use a few potions to survive afterward?

Also, what's stopping them from also bringing max potions along with other potions in case they don't survive? Nothing.
Prioritizing the lack of survival items over actual survival seems ridiculous.
As stated before, there's no reason to think that the people who bring those potions use them all, it's just a precaution.
Otherwise, we can assume that you need to use to use both your max potions each quest to recover from death, and as such, seem like a worse player for it.

Assumptions are great, aren't they?
Also, how the heck is bring 5 mega potions better than 10? It literally has no benefit whatsoever over 10, it's just even more of a waste of your space in favor of... what exactly? Just not having potions?
---
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVle285bEgZ_D9otGewQwmw
Help me improve with honest feedback please. Thank you.
#47vorlik29Posted 7/21/2014 12:18:48 PM
Long post coming.

Gee what a surprise, someone that was around at launch gets it and agrees with me. Good to see someone I recognize from the early days, CmaBoy.

I'm curious, KogaSteelfang or anyone really that has taken some issue with my posts on this topic, have you ever played in a group of so called speed runners? Like have you ever hunted with some of the folks in the youtube videos you've seen of speed runs, just casually? Turns out we aren't at all elitist, arche289.

KogaSteelfang posted...
Same situation as before, you say not to prepare for being hit, but should prepare for death instead.
That doesn't make sense to me, in slightest.
You're saying it's ok for someone to be combo'd to death, but not for them to survive that combo and use a few potions to survive afterward?

Also, what's stopping them from also bringing max potions along with other potions in case they don't survive? Nothing.
Prioritizing the lack of survival items over actual survival seems ridiculous.

Assumptions are great, aren't they?
Also, how the heck is bring 5 mega potions better than 10? It literally has no benefit whatsoever over 10, it's just even more of a waste of your space in favor of... what exactly? Just not having potions?

A couple things. The idea is not to prepare for being hit, rather the goal is to be hit very little of course, but you bring 10 Mega Pots for the occasion that it happens. We all seem to agree on that. The point I've made, which CmaBoy also makes, is in the value of a Max Potion, or two really, in place of the materials for the extra ten Mega Pots, along with combo books and such to guarantee their success.

I'll use a similar example to what he laid out, long story form. Let's say I'm hunting Diablos. I've taken minor chip damage early in the fight from his legs while attacking his belly, so my health is slightly low. At this point, Rhenopolos comes from out of nowhere to hit me and send me flying, dealing a little more damage, right as Blos digs underground. Before I can recover, in fact as I'm getting up from being sent flying, Blos surfaces under me, dealing a huge amount of damage. Having been hit a few times consecutively here, I'm now stunned. I mash the control stick, but before I can recover Blos is doing his tail spin, which kills me. Where in that entire sequence could I have used a Mega Potion? In fact, there wasn't time for a Max Potion either. The difference is that upon death, which happens sometimes in wacky circumstances even to the best of us, the Max potion takes us to full, while the Mega Pot has no particular advantage. What if I had broken stun in time to potion right before death with a sliver of health? A max potion takes me to full health quickly, while Mega pots leave me open to continued threat of death until I find time to drink a few. It also wastes time.

This is where the logic is in preparing for rare and seemingly random death, rather than preparing to simply be hit here and there by upwards of 20 attacks throughout a fight. Also, I don't think you got what he was saying in reference to bringing 5 Mega Pots or whatever. He mentioned that Max potions provide the approximate healing of about 5 mega potions, like an equivalency. He didn't mean to bring only 5 Mega Pots per quest, which yeah would be an odd waste since they take up an item slot regardless. It is not that we prioritize a lack of survival items, we prioritize certain survival items over others, which in turn leads us to set out more prepared for other hunt scenario's.

TL; DR Max Potions are super efficient. Take 2 of those instead of so many Mega Potion materials. This topic may never die.
---
MH3U: Vorlik
3DS FC: 4167-5467-3939
#48CommodoreConnPosted 7/21/2014 1:10:31 PM
This is a dumb argument, all Vorlik and CMA are saying is that when you reach the higher ranks you should be good enough not to need to chug 20 mega pots, but max potions are useful for when the game screws you over because you get combo'd by multiple monsters or a foolish teammate, they aren't encouraging people to die, just to play well enough and have emergency max pots for fatal errors and bad luck. They probably are good enough they don't get hit hardly at all
---
Pokemon Y FC 4742-5499-3144
Friend Safari Fighting Type: Meinfoo, Pancham, Tyrogue
#49arche289Posted 7/21/2014 1:16:23 PM
I've played with some real good players that could probably rival speed runners (or were speed runners), but the room was for fun. Anyway, I think it's foolish to argue all of this. I don't care about that and what I bring doesn't impact you.

@vorlik29 we could have a great time playing together but if I noticed you didn't click with me I would leave so another player that clicked with you could get in the room. My point is to have fun. I'm too old and unskilled to get caught up in maximizing damage outputs. I manage multimillion dollar research grants maximizing regulations to get the most research out of the dollars. I find that draining and just want to hunt when I play.

So, I will continue to bring my 10 pots and 10 mega pots with honey and lifepowders as well as max and ancient pots. I've got nothing else important to bring in their place as I still have room for traps, tranqs optional LBB+'s and whatnot. I don't use huntss to forage so I don't need a pickaxe or net as I don't want to waste people's time during a hunt.

I also don't watch the YouTube videos for speed runs. Not interested. I have to admit I don't know what speed ruining looks like. I have a tendency to be aggressivr so I often am putting pressure on the monster. I just don't know if it qualifies as reckless or correct as I just hunt.

BTW- Elitist was your description. I just resonated with it, but really it is not being elitist but being pushy lol. What do you care about what people have in their pack. I wonder if you would even recognize a potion hoarder who keeps them all out if habit anyway. Who is to say they don't play well or even possibly able to speed run? That's what I don't like. Get over judging playstyle based on what's in people's packs lol.

Tl;Dr - this discussion is quite pointless, but I can't help but comment like a fool ;)
---
Getting older but not wiser
#50CmaBoyPosted 7/21/2014 1:48:12 PM
vorlik29 posted...
text

This was the main point I was trying to make. Basically, skill can reduce the frequency of hits you take, but not the severity. And bad luck will always ensure that some of those hits happen.

To me, it's usually not worth preparing to take a ton of hits, when it costs three item slots (Book+Potion+Honey) and a ton of extra wasted time flexing, and I can mostly avoid it by improving my ability to dodge. It is worth preparing to take some chip damage and a couple really awful hits though, when it only costs one item slot (Max) and I can choose to either heal ~140 HP all at once or 50 Max HP post-cart depending on how bad the RNG wants me to suffer that day.

If you want to overprepare for everything, and stuff your bag with every healing item imaginable, that's up to you. I could never imagine needing that much healing personally, except against specific Elder Dragons or monsters I haven't fought before, and that's because I'm just plain bad and need to practice against them (*coughAlatreon*). I personally prefer whatever's most efficient and versatile, and the practicality of 2 Maxes trumps the raw healing power of 10 Megas for me.

Speaking of those occasional instances of horrible luck, that's also why I try to remember a Farcaster as well. Sometimes when soloing (multi-monster hunts especially), it seems like every single entity in the game suddenly conspires to murder you in the most synchronized display, and you don't get much chance to react. It's rare, but in those situations where no amount of healing will help anyway, I'll gladly take a near-instant teleport the **** outta there to regroup over a cart, lol. Free supplies in case you forgot something is just icing on the cake. It's like a single get-out-of-jail-free card.
---
Brasparo: 4167-4596-2791