Should this theoretically work (regarding crown lock)

#1Plasma EXEPosted 7/30/2014 7:58:11 AM(edited)
Suppose I constantly farm the ivory indignation quest until one of the lagi is a gold large crown. I then:

1. beat the quest without saving.
2. quit the game without saving
3. transfer a copy of my file to my 3DS game.
4. Let my 3DS file host any quest which will guarantee a gold large crown on any monster (have both my original file and the one on the 3DS participate in a PORT quest together with the 3DS file hosting the quest)
5. Save for every crown I get on the WII-U file while I don't save on the 3DS file thats hosting quests.
6. repeat steps 1-4 until I get all the gold crowns I need

Hopefully thats how crown locking works if I understand correctly. I'm sick of hunting them manually (especially silver Rathalos) ~_~. Let's go with the assumption that the gold crown is the first Ivory Lagi.
---
The official Shiki-Ouji of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
3DS FC - 2750-1413-5336. Friend Safari: Tyrogue/Sawk/Meditite
#2orBhsiFPosted 7/30/2014 8:03:11 AM
Why would you have to beat the quest only to quit without saving? Wouldn't you quit once you know the next monster will be a Gold Crown instead of beating the quest?
---
3DS FC: 2981-6459-5877 - Add me at will! Just PM me after.
#3_OZ_Posted 7/30/2014 8:13:19 AM
yes that should work
---
TvC UAS main team: Zero joe the condor
TvC FC: 1076 3330 6985 New TvC FC on wii U: 4729 2641 6596
#4Plasma EXE(Topic Creator)Posted 7/30/2014 8:20:48 AM(edited)
orBhsiF posted...
Why would you have to beat the quest only to quit without saving? Wouldn't you quit once you know the next monster will be a Gold Crown instead of beating the quest?

The idea is to have the 3DS file (which I'd delete in the end anyway) host the quest, then quit without saving so that it's able to host another quest with a gold large crown. Meanwhile, the Wii-U file saves after every crown obtained.

EDIT: Oh, I see what you mean. Yeah I'd make sure my wiiu file prior to transfer does not save after ivory indignation if a gold crown is found.
---
#5Dark_AbaddonPosted 7/30/2014 8:25:12 AM
transfer might reset the RNG, just take both of your hunters on the quests that you do until you get your crown.
---
3DS: 1633-4342-9490 (Ivysaur, Tangela, Quilladin) (Caine @ Corona)
NNID: HardCor PM me if you add me for friend safari
#6Plasma EXE(Topic Creator)Posted 7/30/2014 8:38:50 AM
Dark_Abaddon posted...
transfer might reset the RNG, just take both of your hunters on the quests that you do until you get your crown.

Yeah I was worried about that >< I suppose I'll try that out.
---
#7Plasma EXE(Topic Creator)Posted 7/30/2014 12:42:09 PM(edited)
Hmm I tried this out, but after resetting the 3DS file that currently has a gold large crown ivory indignation quest on que, I started the quest that has 2 Great Jaggi's/a green plesioth and the First Jaggi was only a large silver crown when I completed it.

Is there a catch to this method of crown locking that I'm missing? I hosted the quest with the 3DS File (that I'm not saving on). I took Abaddons advice and just hunted on the 3DS file until I came across a Large Gold Crown ivory lagi so it isn't a file transfer problem.
---
#8Plasma EXE(Topic Creator)Posted 7/31/2014 7:14:09 AM
Bump because I really want to know what im doing wrong.
---
#9tarkadalPosted 7/31/2014 8:12:34 AM
If I recall correctly, I remember reading that some monsters have a higher threshold for a gold crown than others. That is, there a less possible sizes that give a gold medal on some monsters.

For example, say a monster has 10 possible sizes, 1 though 10. Sizes 8 - 10 might be gold size for one particular monster, but only sizes 9 and 10 for second monster. If you lock in a size 8 monster, you will get gold on the original, but only silver on the second.

I've just had that happen to me, scored two golds on a three monster quest that I already had, quit out and did a different quest where I needed both but only got a gold and a silver.
---
"If you offered me your world, did you think I'd really stay?
If you offered me the heavens, I would have to turn away."
#10Plasma EXE(Topic Creator)Posted 7/31/2014 11:52:20 AM
That sounds plausible, though the lagi I have gold locked is the same size as the event one. Would be surprised if there was a bigger one than that, but I'll take that as the only possible explanation. This is all so confusing ><.

Also how do I know if the monster is the 2nd one or first one if theyre the same monster (in the case of ivory indignation, the one that starts off near the pond was what was gold). This doesn't seem to be a sure way to gurantee gold on everything because even the jaggi/volvidon were just large crown when I completed it :<. Someone said deviljho was a sure way to get gold on everything on miiverse.
---