Is the hunting horn weak?

#1TheMetalMonsterPosted 8/1/2014 5:24:59 AM
Or am I doing something wrong? After a few hundred hours of long sword and switch axe play, I impulsively made a few hunting horns from spare materials; nether, Stygian and brachydios. It took me a bit to figure out the notes and reciting them, but after I got a handle on it my kill times are just sooo slow. (Solo)
Should I b trying to play my songs while in combat?should I refresh them when the monster has some down time? Once I have all my songs up what is the best dps combo?
My damage output just feels low, is this just the sad reality of the hunting horn?
I'm running honed blade, evasion +1, horn maestro, and stam recovery up.
#2Holy_forksPosted 8/1/2014 5:37:29 AM
Long answer: no weapon is weak.
Short answer: yes
---
MH3U/NNID : holyfork 3DS FC:1504-5787-9398
#3cyclone327Posted 8/1/2014 5:56:49 AM(edited)
I would try and get Knock out king and stamina thief as skills for the hunter horns. While maestro is nice, its really better to have those two skills instead. Stamina recovery up isn't really good for hunting horns since you will have your horn unsheathed 90% of the time and since self improvement makes you run around just as fast as sprinting it's really just not need. Stamina recovery up is better used for hammers, bows, and lance/gun lances.

The best dps combo for hunting horn is the X then A combo repeated. You can do this over and over again until its time to avoid the monster next attack in which you can try and use X+A(no controller stick direction) as an evasive finisher
#4TheMetalMonster(Topic Creator)Posted 8/1/2014 5:58:44 AM
cyclone327 posted...
I would try and get Knock out king and stamina thief as skills for the hunter horns. While maestro is nice, its really better to have those two skills instead.

The best dps combo for hunting horn is the X then A combo repeated. You can do this over and over again until its time to avoid the monster next attack in which you can try and use X+A(no controller stick direction) as an evasive finisher

I will look into a set with those skills for sure. As for the combo, could I get you to describe those attacks for me? I am not with my game and have no idea what those are.
#5DespondentDeityPosted 8/1/2014 6:05:07 AM
Stamina Thief is the class requisite skill, KO King isn't enough of a boost to warrant its use with the class, as horns deal far less KO damage than hammers. KO King isn't a wasted skill by any means but I'd try to prioritize Stamina Thief over it if you have to choose.
---
http://i.imgur.com/k0VJ3.png
Your father lied. Killing is the sweetest thing there is.
#6KaiserWarriorPosted 8/1/2014 6:16:24 AM
Hunting Horns are just as effective as other weapons when used properly, but they're very challenging to use properly. It's a careful balance between keeping on the monster and using your songs for the buffs they provide.

You want to go into a fight with all of your songs already up (at least the ones that are relevant to the fight in question). Over the course of the fight, you should refresh your song durations when you have openings to do so, usually when a monster is doing something that's not really safe to attack them during; might as well hit recital and refresh a song while you wait. This does require you to pay attention to the order of your attacks, and which notes they queue up.
#7TommyHayabusaPosted 8/1/2014 6:46:37 AM
Hunting Horn is a weapon that needs to be mastered to get the maximum damage output. Like this

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3bV0DLPHg8Y
---
Playing - Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate & Monster Hunter Unite iOS
#8chronogod77Posted 8/1/2014 8:39:08 AM
When you refresh songs, you should be using that recital mode to hit the enemy. The stationary x+a attack is great for k.o damage and reaching high heads. As for sets, yours is great. It doesn't need any changing.
---
GameFlux: Unofficial GameFAQs board browser
#9sacrontinePosted 8/2/2014 9:11:46 AM
Are you playing songs outside of combat? Don't do that, when playing notes and songs you should also be attacking. Also get KOs HH is very good for that, the KO values are not as good as hammer but the better reach makes up for it.
#10CaptainFlufflesPosted 8/3/2014 12:49:30 PM
If you have the Stygian Tristitia (sp?), then time shouldn't really be an issue. The AuL boost from the HH is quite a bit larger than AuL from armor skills or the kitchen, and it also stacks with them. All you need is that and Self-Improvement then you can just keep playing Melody Durations Extended to refresh all active songs. Then go bash in the heads of any and all respective monsters (the dragon damage is just a bonus at this point). Try getting the hang of using the upswing (A) to hit monsters heads over your shoulder. It's a really good way to keep dps on a mobile monster without risking a combo or missing the head. Very easy to get sub 10 or 15 min times solo once you get a good feel for this weapon.