Sunset for Wii Remote FPS gaming

#1HardkodePosted 2/10/2013 12:10:32 PM
What do you think the odds are we'll see an FPS that supports the Wii Remote besides Call of Duty?

I would love to see another Metroid Prime game from Retro. With sales of 5.8 million for Donkey Kong Returns don't count on it. MP3:Echoes sold just 1.6 million. The best business decision is obvious: dump Samus.

Another Conduit game is unlikely. The only good thing about those games is they were cheap to make. With the doors closed permanently at Eurocom we can rule out another Bond game like GoldenEye.

Wii Remote gaming in FPS's has become a niche in a niche. Black Ops has sold very poorly on WiiU and few players use their Wii Remotes.

Nintendo's turned their efforts to the GamePad now. No first party game will require a Wii Remote because they're not in the box. It sure would be great to get a WiiU iteration of Wii Sports. It's possible but it would probably be designed around the GamePad like Nintendo land.

Once Microsoft and Sony release their new consoles developers once again won't be able to easily port their game for Nintendo's console. Very few xbox360 games were ported to Wii despite it's giant install base. There will be even less motivation this go around.

It's difficult to learn how to play with the Wii Remote. Only commited gamers can invest the time to learn it. I suspect many on this forum would argue that it would be a more compelling choice of there was no Dual Analog aim assist. That may be true but I doubt anyone will change their game designs. Aim Assist broadens the audience of FPS games by making them easier to pick up.

There will certainly be more FPS games for WiiU. Will other developers invest in making great controls for the Wii Remote? I doubt it.
#2Cubfan082Posted 2/10/2013 1:31:21 PM
Colonial Marines is supposed to, but the release on the Wii U has been indefinitely delayed....

...hooray...
---
Did you really just instruct someone to search the Internet for the truth?
I never thought I would die like this, but I always hoped...
#3tizzywilkillyouPosted 2/10/2013 3:38:11 PM
Cubfan082 posted...
Colonial Marines is supposed to, but the release on the Wii U has been indefinitely delayed....

...hooray...

Where'd you hear that (on both counts)??

Sega is still saying "launch window" and Gearbox mods on their forums said we can expect info after the 2/12 launch on other consoles.

And I've seen zero work (up or down) on wiimote support. Except that on a demo kiosk, the list of games showed control methods for A:CM and mote/chuck was missing.
---
i5 2550k, 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3@1600mhz, EVGA GTX 550ti, 120GB OCZ SSD, 22in/1680x1050
#4tizzywilkillyouPosted 2/10/2013 3:39:57 PM
But in general, yeah, I'm definitely worried that CoD will be the only games that support Wii remote controls for FPS's.... looks I'll be playing CoD games all this gen.

...Assuming CoD doesn't drop them too. >:(
---
i5 2550k, 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3@1600mhz, EVGA GTX 550ti, 120GB OCZ SSD, 22in/1680x1050
#5DoomsSDPosted 2/10/2013 4:26:00 PM
Cubfan082 posted...

...hooray...

I'm just hoping that game is as good as it looks. I don't usually have massive expectations for games but I got high hopes for Colonial Marines.
---
Well, I suppose it's time to get kidnapped again...
#6Machine1136Posted 2/10/2013 5:27:41 PM
I'm definitely prepared for Wii Remote FPS gaming to be phased out sooner rather than later. And by prepared, I mean that not only do I expect it to happen, but I've already purchased a XIM + gaming mouse for use on the other consoles (or maybe the WiiU eventually too) because Dual Analog is such a stupid method for control that I don't want any part of it.
---
&.Machine
NNID, PSN: Machine1136
#7Greggy_PooPosted 2/10/2013 6:38:48 PM
Wii remotes are outdated. DA is the new kid on the block and the wave of the future. RIDE THE WAVE.
---
NNID: GreggIsRad
http://www.youtube.com/user/GreggIsRad?feature=mhee
#8Cubfan082Posted 2/10/2013 6:57:17 PM
Greggy_Poo posted...
Wii remotes are outdated. DA is the new kid on the block and the wave of the future. RIDE THE WAVE.

lol no it isn't, mouse and key board will always reign...

...Gamestop told me when I went to reserve my copy. They have itvas an undetermined 2014 release where every other console has it as Tuesday. Just saw the commercial for it, still says Wii U, we shall see...
---
#9ZimbabweBobPosted 2/11/2013 7:53:56 PM
Cubfan082 posted...
Greggy_Poo posted...

...Gamestop told me when I went to reserve my copy. They have itvas an undetermined 2014 release where every other console has it as Tuesday. Just saw the commercial for it, still says Wii U, we shall see...

Gamestop has a placeholder price and date, they have no frackin clue...mind you, this is the same store that told me flat-out that they didn't even make Darksiders II for the Wii U.
---
You only get smarter by playing a smarter opponent.
NNID: ZimbabweBob
#10Cubfan082Posted 2/11/2013 8:14:48 PM
ZimbabweBob posted...
Cubfan082 posted...
Greggy_Poo posted...

Gamestop has a placeholder price and date, they have no frackin clue...mind you, this is the same store that told me flat-out that they didn't even make Darksiders II for the Wii U.

we shall see tomorrow...

...i went to reserve my copy, they said see you in 2014, I looked online and it seems to be consensus that the game has not shipped for the U, and no other retailers online stores are offering it for delivery this month.

Gearbox has no statement, but some claiming to speak for them say end of march is best case scenario.
---