Never played KH before, question for everyone.

#1Vesperia2012Posted 8/31/2013 10:57:11 PM
I thought this would be a good place to start. I have friends who love this series and I decided to give it a shot. I have it all payed off already, but I was just curious if this game really combines Disney and Final Fantasy well? What I mean is if the game have a great story, gameplay and what not. Once again I know this is based off opinions but I just want to see some input, thanks everyone!
---
AMD FX-8320 8 Core @ 3.5Ghz | AMD Radeon HD 7870 2gb | 16gb RAM | 2 TB HDD | Windows 8 (yes, I like it)
#2SoeroahPosted 9/1/2013 3:02:59 AM
I don't really see it as combining Disney and Final Fantasy. More like...A Final Fantasy style adventure in a Disney setting. With characters from both.

I think it works well, though opinions are divided on later games.
---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ9Km7WW2aE
Best console war summary ever. TL;DR version at 2:05.
#3ajmrowland1Posted 9/1/2013 3:08:28 AM
Yeah, this isn't really a crossover, as many would believe. Like the above poster said it's a Final Fantasy style adventure in a Dianey setting, and it takes influences from both while forging its own path and focusing on its own story and themes.
#4Baha05Posted 9/1/2013 7:21:31 AM
Actually as the series had evolved the first game is truly the only one out of seven games you can consider a crossover title:

- It's the only game that has a really limited story arc on the Final Fantasy aspect and found a balance in it's design
- It's the only game that has actual original worlds*
- The first game in the series to also not over utilize characters
- Etc

Games before and past the first Game tend to edge more and more to the Final Fantasy aspects and have sort of lost that balance of a crossover.

*And my point with the worlds is it was the first game to feature a good selection and while newer games did add original worlds, most reuse at least 4 of the same world
---
"I will take the advice of PS3 over you, any day of the week. Especially, when you state that all aspect ratios are the same." Some Crazy Guy
#5Terraforce777Posted 9/1/2013 8:17:04 AM
Baha05 posted...
Actually as the series had evolved the first game is truly the only one out of seven games you can consider a crossover title:

- It's the only game that has a really limited story arc on the Final Fantasy aspect and found a balance in it's design
At the very least this factor made the first game less of a crossover based on how underrepresented Final Fantasy was.
- It's the only game that has actual original worlds*
How does original worlds make it more of a crossover at all?
- The first game in the series to also not over utilize characters
Highly subjective. I didn't find any character over utilized in ANY of the KH games
- Etc

Games before and past the first Game tend to edge more and more to the Final Fantasy aspects and have sort of lost that balance of a crossover.

*And my point with the worlds is it was the first game to feature a good selection and while newer games did add original worlds, most reuse at least 4 of the same world

A lot of the subjects you considered were highly subjective. If anything, KH2 is the most exemplary of the crossover theme.

Disney
-13+ Worlds
-Disney Castle
-Reference to the original Mickey
-Pete and Malificent
-Various Homages to original material

Final Fantasy
-Myriad of Final Fantasy characters
-Role in 1000 Heartless battle
-Auron
-Cloud vs Sephiroth
-Hollow Bastion

Based on that, neither was nearly as OVER represented as you make it seem.
---
---
People these days...
#6Baha05Posted 9/1/2013 8:34:56 AM
What I mean by over represented Final Fantasy doesn't refere to just the FF character but the Kingdom Hearts story after the first game. See what made the first game work more as a crossover is there was a balance of story telling where Sora was basically trying to find his friends and being the kind of person he was he helped several Disney characters and stop a lot of Disney villains.

Hell even at the time Ansem wasn't hinted at being a Main Antagonist, he had like one bit part in the beginning and doesn't show up until Hallow Bastion, so most of the game it's Assumed Maleficent was the Main Antagonist, and until the FM+ there was no hint of Organization XIII as well.

So really there was a balance. Then CoM came along and started a shift in that the story was more and more tipping into the Final Fantasy area and swaying away from the Disney aspects (Yeah Disney is still like most of the game's character but considering the story changes from it acting as a crossover and it acting as it's own entity that could rival a Final Fantasy game show that the series follows more along the lines of a FF spin off rather then a crossover)

And I'm not going to fault the story telling as the change does add more story to the game and you only have so many Disney movies to chose from (So much so Wonder Land, Agrabah, O. Colosseum, and Neverland are the most commonly used settings) but when looking at the first game even FM version of the first game and then looking at all the titles that followed, it's obvious a shift in story telling had happened and we got more and more sucked into a Final Fantasy plot that happens to have Disney characters and settings in it. (And even those are starting to dwindle which has me fearing what worlds will be part of Kingdom Hearts 3)
---
"I will take the advice of PS3 over you, any day of the week. Especially, when you state that all aspect ratios are the same." Some Crazy Guy
#7KMAnsemPosted 9/1/2013 8:37:54 AM

Oh, please. The Final Fantasy characters were thrown into KH1 as a brief and largely shallow afterthought to help boost sales. KHII was the first and probably only game to develop them to any meaningful degree.

But, yeah, TC, don't go in expecting a full crossover. That's not how the series was conceived, and that's really not what it ever becomes. Go in expecting a colorful Disney adventure with the occasional FF face popping in every now and then, and you'll have a great time. The stories are fantastic, the gameplay is great -- it's a wonderful experience all around.
---
"I once got a spam email entitled 'SIX STEPS TO A GREAT CAREER.' I was really disappointed when it wasn't an ad for revolvers." - todaystomsawyer
#8Baha05Posted 9/1/2013 2:41:48 PM
You missed my point as well, I used Final Fantasy as a blanket term for the plot. Which when it started it felt like a crossover between Square and Disney, both sides had felt like they equally contributed to the game. With later titles however it felt that story wise it shifted to a more FF feel
---
#9WhataRecchPosted 9/1/2013 5:20:49 PM
Kingdom Hearts is a pseudo-Disney/FF crossover not a real one. Pretty much all the original content, original music, worlds, characters, visuals, aesthetic, combat mechanics and icons feel very Final Fantasy-esque but are Disney legally. The bulk setting and characters are Disney but the underlying archetype is FF. There are FF characters but they're a) very fargone from their original selves in personality and are minimally important to the the plot.

The exception to this is Dream drop Distance, which follows the same formula with The World Ends with You.
---
I use to look forward to showing my grandchildren the games of my youth. Now, I think I'll just tell them to play KH3 when it comes out. ixistudios.ca
#10Rayquaza487Posted 9/2/2013 5:11:32 PM
Baha05 posted...
You missed my point as well, I used Final Fantasy as a blanket term for the plot. Which when it started it felt like a crossover between Square and Disney, both sides had felt like they equally contributed to the game. With later titles however it felt that story wise it shifted to a more FF feel

Because 15 Disney worlds and 1 Final Fantasy/Disney/Original world doesn't represent Disney well at all >_>

KH2 had the perfect balance of Disney worlds, and Final Fantasy Characters. Just because every waking moment isn't spent in a Disney world doesn't mean that it's underrepresented.
---
Official Rayquaza of the Super Smash Bros. boards
I'm going to delete my account if Ridley is CONFIRMED for SSB4! ;P