Not missing something with the ranger, am I?(Inferno solo Difficulties)

#1chemfanatic10Posted 4/20/2014 3:19:39 PM
I have the majority of the high end weapons I would actually use on him, but I feel like his damage output isn't matching up with the enemies. The majority of the time I'm getting overrun faster than when I was an air raider. I really don't feel like I'm making any forward momentum in half the levels on inferno. When I was an air raider I DID feel like I was making forward momentum at the very least. As a ranger it's typically over before things get going.

I know armor grinding is an option, but there are points where I think even all the health in the world wouldn't help me. Those spiders catch you and you're dead in 5 seconds. Ant catches you on a roll and his next volley will take another chunk out. I'm at 4500 health now and not really looking forward to grinding up to 10k, which appears to be the go to number.

I'm not sure if it's some issue with his final weapons having poor damage or if I'm just not good with the class.

Air raider can handle red ants like....nearly instantly with the skywire, but it takes a ton of shots from a high end AF to kill one with the ranger. The grenade launchers do well clearing groups out but the reload gives them more than enough time to get in range where firing it isn't an option. I've used the magma cannon rarely, but I think it's range may be a huge issue if there are flying types. I've given up on the final homing weapons, they can't do enough damage to keep up with me getting raped by upgraded drones or the wasps.

Am I missing something?
---
"Familiarity with any great thing removes our awe of it."
3DS FC: 3738-0774-0909 GT: ArcImpulse0
#2RycerXPosted 4/20/2014 3:32:57 PM(edited)
I don't like assault rifles against red ants, shotguns handle them much better. You won't have to go to them, they come right to you, and up close is where the shotguns dominate. Plus if you get pinced, it only takes one or two shots to free you, instead of emptying entire clips from a rifle. I like keeping them at a distance for as long as possible with something like the Stampede grenade launcher, then finishing off any stragglers that slip by with a Buffalo/Governor. Shotties with a tight spread and decent range also work very well against drones.
#3OKRecords1138Posted 4/21/2014 10:00:06 AM
I don't know that EDF was necessarily designed to be played alone on inferno. I dare say that unless you're on solo, hard and up would be a futile challenge with the weapon and armor restrictions in place. I'm not saying it's impossible, but I would think for the majority of players, it would be futile.

One of the things I quickly found out was that the Ranger is essentially just another support class. Wing Divers and Fencers appear to be the major offense characters in the game. This is evident by the highest assault rifle being only level 75 for the Ranger, while ever other character's main weapons are in the 80's and 90's.

Shotguns are great, but when you're being surrounded on every side by...Well, anything...The slow rate of fire and hour long reload time is nothing short of a death sentence.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy playing as a Ranger a lot. I just won't play anything higher than normal mode on my own.
---
See all your favorite toys of yesterday and today at The Toy Box - thetoybox1138.blogspot.com
#4unnamedFerPosted 4/21/2014 10:25:26 AM
Weapon levels mean nothing of a weapons power, at most its a measure to tell at what point in the game some weapons drop, and for online restrictions.

Also, just about any class thats not the fencer will die if it gets sorrounded, thats the catch of playing on inferno: kill things before they sorround you.

Also shotguns arent meant to be used as primary weapons with that 4-5 second reloads the end shottys get. A rocket launcher could serve as a good primary weapon to use with a shotgun seeing as they reload so fast.
My only problem is that the Buffalo Wide is one big lie as far as wide range goes. Great shotgun but the range is barely wide.

Also the stampede XM is a weapon to take into account to kill or weaken faraway mobs of enemies, just aim up (45-60 angle) and shoot.
---
http://k7sin.forumfree.it/
#5chemfanatic10(Topic Creator)Posted 4/21/2014 4:00:08 PM
I tried out the shotguns, and I didn't like them too much, but I did like that they can take out nests in less time than the assault rifles. As has already been said above me, the reload time can be brutal.

I've already gotten through inferno solo as an air raider and I thought that was as bad as it was going to be. I didn't expect the ranger to be so much more difficult than he was. Maybe I just need to grind out some of the weapons to have a slightly better chance, but I'm not too hopeful. When I started out I wanted to get through inferno solo as each class. Maybe I'll just need to split screen the ranger to get him through inferno with either the wing diver or the fencer. Disappointed to hear that may be the only option with him, but if I have to do it, I'll do it. I know I'll have much less trouble as the wing diver and fencer. Their increased mobility will help immensely with dealing with crap.

I do use the stampede XM frequently when I know the level is swarm intensive and I have time to use it. I think I'm missing the final rocket launcher, but I can't remember if it does enough damage to off the black ants in one shot or not. Either way it'd probably be a bit more useful than the UMAX launcher I use in place of it.

I'm always iffy about using explosive weapons. I tend to get caught in the blast more often than the enemy.

Thanks for the advice!
---
"Familiarity with any great thing removes our awe of it."
3DS FC: 3738-0774-0909 GT: ArcImpulse0
#6Toho2Posted 4/26/2014 9:31:06 AM
So the Ranger has a slight nerf from 2017? I thought people were praising him and saying how he's better than an Air Raider or Fencer for his high DPS.
---
Storm 1 was Master Chief before Master Chief was cool. Storm 1 IS the original Master Chief!
YouTube: JLP GAMER
#7RycerXPosted 4/26/2014 9:38:17 AM
I don't think he's nerfed at all. The Stingray does feel a little nerfed when you're playing with three or more players because it doesn't do the job in one hit like it's supposed to, but that's what the Goliath is for.

Oh, and who the hell thought it was a good idea to make solo online play more difficult than two-player anyway. I'm certain it's not just my imagination, you actually do take more damage and deal less when you're playing alone online. Some of the missions are damn near impossible, because on top of the added difficulty, your weapon/armor limit stays the same of course and all of the enemies are focused on you, and you alone.
#8ninebreaker47Posted 4/26/2014 9:56:40 AM
The enemies do deal more damage and have more health in Solo Online play. 3 times more to be exact. It is stupid...

Online Difficulty Multiplier

Solo play - 3x
2 players - 1.85x
3 players - 2.5x
4 players - 3x

As you can see playing solo online is just as hard as playing a full lobby except you are the only target and the only one killing anything. I wish that solo online play just had the 2 player multiplier instead or something. 3x is just too much.
---
GameFlux: Unofficial GameFAQs board browser
#9unnamedFerPosted 4/26/2014 10:11:46 AM
The rocket launchers were always like that, way before 2017, however they added new upgraded version which are stronger than in previous games, and sadly the final goliath got a little behind in the process.

The biggest advantage of rocket launchers is being a moderately powerful weapon with a good blast radius. Maybe not enough to kill but enough to weaken a group.
the Goliath Z is such a small improvement to the final stringray, it would have been good if the atleast upped the blast radius to 30 or reduce the reload time.
---
http://k7sin.forumfree.it/
#10RycerXPosted 4/26/2014 11:57:39 AM(edited)
The only reason I ever choose rockets over grenades is for pinpoint accuracy, otherwise I always prefer higher damage. I don't want bugs spread out and flying all over the place making my work more tedious. I like them all clustered up and and exploding with the first hit at 1 frame per second.

ninebreaker47 posted...
The enemies do deal more damage and have more health in Solo Online play. 3 times more to be exact. It is stupid...

Online Difficulty Multiplier

Solo play - 3x
2 players - 1.85x
3 players - 2.5x
4 players - 3x

As you can see playing solo online is just as hard as playing a full lobby except you are the only target and the only one killing anything. I wish that solo online play just had the 2 player multiplier instead or something. 3x is just too much.

I'll be damned, no wonder. It's even worse than I thought.