Wasps' nest

#1tom76bPosted 8/5/2014 1:51:10 AM
I was playing a stage last night, one of the two wasp ones (I think stage 68), on Hardest as Air Raider. I had a Level 68 howitzer air strike (10 shots, 130m radius, 3000(?) damage per shot), plus a Custom tank (Level 54).
Anyway, I drive through the first few wasps on the ground then get into position, fire off my air strike (twice) and numerous shells, but I still get killed by the swarm.
I was wondering, how much HP does the nest have on Hardest? Air strikes DO damage it right?

I know there is one stage (earlier) where you just have to endure - does anybody know if you have to do X amount of damage to the nest before the "countdown" begins, or if there are a certain number of wasps to kill?
#2Trisha_GoddardPosted 8/5/2014 4:27:03 AM
For the earlier stage it's based on wasps killed I think. I say that because I don't really bother hitting the nest apart from to get another wave of wasps to come.

For the one where you destroy it, I'd consider taking a WD (in split screen) with a Gungnir and messing it up.

The Ranger's reversers or a the AR's Caravan will keep you alive. No tips for the Fencer except that his high altitude missiles are perfect for wasps. He'll die a peasant's death on Inferno though.
#3unnamedFerPosted 8/5/2014 8:04:32 AM
dexter shotgun for the wasps, or the dyna blades, tough you'll kill only 2-3 with one attack if you are lucky.

for the nest, you could try dual wielding 2 vulcan hammer ZD, get to the base of the nest and pull one full charge after the other you you are always attacking which will reduce the damage of the wasp's needles.
Or maybe the flamethrowers?
---
http://k7sin.forumfree.it/
#4GulcasaPosted 8/5/2014 9:36:06 AM
For the first stage, it's definitely wasps killed. It's not timed, and it's not based on the amount of damage you deal to the nest (it will never die anyway). I spent about a half hour sitting in one of the holes in it on Easy, shooting at it while reading a book, and it never even started to sink. It just made me frown.
#5tom76b(Topic Creator)Posted 8/6/2014 12:47:15 AM
Right I finished the stage last night after a few goes (I'm only on Hardest with a Wing Diver of 4500 health, it shouldn't have been so difficult...). So an update:

It is stage 69 - Tower Siege
You have to destroy the nest
- I guess you _must_ to survive the wasps' attacks whilst the talking is going on. I didn't die so cannot verify

Here is what I did:
Demonic Lance (15,000 damage)
IDunn Custom (has its own ammo - doesn't drain Wing Energy)

Flew towards the nest, ran around the base right-to-back whilst attacking with the lance. Blasted the wasps with the IDunn Custom whilst the lance was recharging. Grabbed some precious health, then as the nest suffered more damage it rolled and I could get inside it, which offered a _little_ protection (some wasp shards do penetrate it). Used the lance to finish off the nest.
Then I flew away to avoid the stingers. Conserving Wing Energy was paramount so I was only blasting those wasps directly in front of me with the IDunn as I needed energy to fly (but still needed health!)

Took perhaps 12-15 shots in all.
#6Trisha_GoddardPosted 8/6/2014 2:47:01 AM
"- I guess you _must_ to survive the wasps' attacks whilst the talking is going on. I didn't die so cannot verify"

do you mean at the end?

I'm not sure. On the final level, once the Brain is destroyed the level goes on a while but if you die you still get 'Mission Complete'.
#7tom76b(Topic Creator)Posted 8/6/2014 4:31:17 AM
Yes at the end. I am only guessing but I think you do.
Oh is that so for the final stage? That is what happened to me on EDF 2017 - right after I defeated the boss I was killed, and my friends who were over watched with baited breath to see what would happen (the Mission Failed message wasn't coming up).
Ah, gaming memories!!!
#8geckothelizardPosted 8/6/2014 4:58:28 AM
FYI you'll probably find your best rapier does much more damage per second than the demonic lance, plus they work on a clip and a short reload so are good for saving energy. good for anything you can do close range damage to (nests, tunnel entrances, transport ships/quad fortress)
#9tom76b(Topic Creator)Posted 8/6/2014 5:22:36 AM
Oh really? I've avoided the short-range weapons as I usually dual-wield two IDunn-Customs (chances are I'll always have Wing Energy to escape, range is good, stun-lock capability), or take a Thunder Sniper with me.
I'll look into the rapiers.
#10geckothelizardPosted 8/6/2014 6:40:44 AM(edited)
yeah i'm more of a lance guy, but when it comes to you sat next to a point that you need to damage, it's rapiers all the way.

eg, master rapier/master rapier thrust = 12600/sec + 0.5sec charge time. so that's 13.83 seconds to do 168,000 damage!

the sacred lance (best lance for WD) takes 15 seconds to do 96,000 damage, so that's quite a bit less, although it is at least one of the best weapons for regular enemy types also.

interestingly - everyone's favourite - the idunn ff, takes 20 seconds to do just 52,000.

so basically, if it comes to standing in front of something and shooting point blank, it's the master rapier every time