This looks quite a bit better than "Insect Armageddon" I have to say.

#1SairosPosted 8/6/2013 12:43:58 PM
More enemies, more unique classes, more vehicles, and far more weapons. All in all it looks like a huge improvement.
---
Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
PSN: Aeturnum
#2GillFignoPosted 8/6/2013 3:23:33 PM
Well yeah, Insect Armageddon isn't a real EDF game.
#3geelwPosted 8/6/2013 7:57:12 PM
GillFigno posted...
Well yeah, Insect Armageddon isn't a real EDF game.

Actually, it IS and Sandlot addressed that in their Game Informer interview. It's not part of that series they created, but they definitely acknowledge the game's existence as a side story sort of experience. That and a good deal of the changes in EDF 4 are inspired by EDFIA (although I do wish they'd have asked Vicious Cycle to help program the online game on the PS3 at least so it would be more stable out of the package. That and make Wing Diver faster on the ground like the Jet Armor class is in their game).
---
"It's just a jump to the left..."
#4Mutant1988Posted 8/7/2013 6:36:25 AM
geelw posted...
That and a good deal of the changes in EDF 4 are inspired by EDFIA

I fail to see the influence. The only thing that is even similar to IA is being able to reload at any time, but that seems more like a natural evolution for the series (I never really got why you couldn't reload at any time. All you had to do to get around it was just empty the magazine and the end result is exactly the same) rather than something they modelled after IA.

But if it is, I'm grateful for the omission of the "active reload" nonsense. Nothing but busy work, reloading should just be reloading so that you can get back to shooting again. Making it a mini game feels as if they thought reloading had to be more fun. But it isn't, never was, it's just necessary.

And no, I wouldn't say that the Fencer is anything like the Battle class. Because the Battle class was nothing but a stronger Ranger class (Which felt underpowered and completely redundant as a result), with a shield that made it next to invincible.

But hey, perhaps the inspiration they took from IA was the knowledge how not to make a good EDF game and then they did the opposite of that.

I don't want to be unfair to IA, because it was a decent distraction but in retrospect, it's nothing like EDF. It's a run of the mill third person shooter that just happens to superficially resemble EDF.
---
Know that if you allow someone to take advantage of you, they might make it a habit.
#5gamemaster712Posted 8/7/2013 8:33:36 PM
Not a little, a lot!!!!!

Dragons was an auto win for me
---
Lord of gaming!!! (probably)
#6geelwPosted 8/7/2013 10:24:36 PM
http://www.gameinformer.com/games/earth_defense_force_2025/b/xbox360/archive/2013/06/10/edf-2025-interview

Read it and... weep? I guess. Look, some of you may not have liked IA much or at all, but that doesn't mean Sandlot didn't. They note the stuff the were influenced by clearly, so I'd say that's a good thing at the end of the day.
---
#7Mutant1988Posted 8/8/2013 5:58:19 AM
^ They played EDF IA. Didn't necessarily mean that they were influenced by it to any significant degree. It's not like EDF IA introduced any ground breaking concepts.

"What we used from EDF:IA as a reference is how to differentiate between classes. In EDF 2025, the Fencer is influenced by IAís Battle armor, and Air Raider is influenced by IAís Tactical. From the start when we decided to add the classes, we were considering adding a heavy-armored type and a strategic type, but we had a chance to play EDF:IA that was being developed, so we used it as a reference for our game. Having that said, in EDF 2025, these two classes have been enhanced further by adding various elements such as request of air raids and vehicles. Weíve completed the classes that have more characteristics and more unique gameplay style."

Also:

"The original EDF series that have become popular in Japan havenít changed the style. EDF:IA has the same idea of earth defense, but the developer is in US, and different. Itís a different title that has different story, so please donít get confused."

" Insect Armageddon is like a spin-off title, and the event occurs in the world that is different from the original EDF series."

So yeah, I'm inclined to not consider it a real EDF. Because it really doesn't feel like one. That's my opinion and I'm sticking too it.
---
Know that if you allow someone to take advantage of you, they might make it a habit.
#8geelwPosted 8/8/2013 2:17:40 PM
Yeah, you're entitled to your opinion, but not your own facts. By not highlighting the line:

"...but we had a chance to play EDF:IA that was being developed, so we used it as a reference for our game."

which, by the way is the most important line in that segment (not what they changed/fixed afterwards), just means you aren't willing to admit that the guys making the game were indeed using EDFIA as ONE starting point when making this sequel.

Of course, you can try and flip that by saying "well, if it weren't for Sandlot, VC would have made their game!", but I hope to heck you don't pull that one here)...

Now, you're also reading it wrong because you're probably assuming I'm saying that they didn't change anything and used EDFIA as a DIRECT influence, but nope - you very wisely highlighted the stuff they changed AFTER they saw and played it in VC's game. So yes indeed, that's a key thing as well.

IF the interview noted that they hated EDFIA and never played it or never took anything from it, then you'd have a point.

I'm not trying to argue here - just letting you know that not everything works in the world where you ignore the stuff you don't like in favor of the narrative you prefer.

In a way it's like some of the anime and kaiji folks hating on Pacific Rim not understanding that Del Toro was influenced by a ton of kaiju flicks and anime and no, didn't "copy" them as much as use elements from them in making his picture.
---
#9GillFignoPosted 8/8/2013 4:38:07 PM
It's not a real EDF game. I used IA as a reference to come to that conclusion. IA is as much an EDF game as Strider Returns is a Strider game.
#10Mutant1988Posted 8/9/2013 6:05:46 AM
The way I read it (The first bolded part) is that they already had a concept for added classes and later used IA (When they were given an opportunity to play it) as a reference for finalizing their design.

But judging by the end product, not much from IA was kept. That's why I wouldn't say that they were inspired by IA. Unless acquiring first hand knowledge of how not to do things can be interpreted as inspiration.
---