Fencer... oh Fencer

• Topic Archived
2 years ago#1
All right, so like the topic title says, Fencer. Does this guy ever really become worth the investment? I have a hard time using him because of how slow he is (despite his speed boost), and I quickly get overrun despite his high armor count and ton of bullets. Even on Easy I find myself having a difficult time surviving the onslaught, and this with over 600 armor now. I farmed some higher powered weapons on Inferno mission 11 just so I could make farming armor even easier, and still...

Also, how in the world am I supposed to destroy UFOs and drop ships with his weapons? I have a higher level machine gun that will reach some of them, but a majority of his weapons won't go that high, and he has no sniper rifle class. I suppose some of his homing missile types might work, but they lock on so slow that it hardly seems worth it.

Inferno is the only difficulty that I get really excited for, but barring a few levels where the Fencer seems worth it, I think I'd just be better off with the Ranger and Wing Diver.

All that said, spraying the horde with his machine gun is still awesome, just mowing them all down. And swinging a giant sword... yeah, bad ass.
---
Your name is sung and tattooed now on my heart - here I will carry you forever
Carry Tori Amos
2 years ago#2
Personally I find him to be like Air Raider, more of a support class than a solo, he can clear a path through hordes of enemies but when something gets behind you you're screwed. If you can't coop or play online with anyone you'll have a lot of trouble, but if you team up with a Wing Diver you're invincible. Haven't seen any good weapons for destroying dropships either :/
2 years ago#3
Air raider can be a solo class, you just need to find the best combination of weapons.
For instance, it took me a while to find out that the "air support" laser beam could indeed destroy ships in a matter of seconds and that hektors didn't stand a chance against tanks.
As for Fencer, it's doable to take down ships with his "overpowered" sniper cannon.
2 years ago#4
Don't get me wrong - it's a fun class, but jeez, mission 84 on Easy with high leveled machine guns and a javelin (for the forward boost) and going from 640 armor to 49 and surviving on blind luck while I ran for health pick ups isn't something I had to do with the Ranger or Wing Diver!! I was a little surprised, but that's the stage I use for armor farming (much like mission 52 in EDF2017). I'll keep farming for weapons, of course, as I play through the stages on varying difficulties, but seriously, some of those drop ship levels? Yeah, pretty much everything I've found lacks the range to take them down. It's disheartening.

As for the Air Raider, I don't understand how the few weapons I've picked up really work, other than I've been told that a lot of them boost things, and that kind of put me off, so I'm saving him for dead last - as in not interested until I finish the game with the other characters on multiple difficulties first.

But yeah, any advice for the Fencer is appreciated, so thank you.
---
Carry Tori Amos
2 years ago#5
For carriers and jumpships, or any other large aerial target, have you tried using the hand howitzers (NC or 30 mm series) or the shoulder mortars/cannons (FH and FHD series respectively)? These are my go-to weapons for long range combat. I pair one with a melee weapon to dash cancel to quickly set up a new firing position.

I've replayed early stages so much without completing a playthrough that my Fencer is just over 1K armor. Of course I've seen people online who have 5K, or more, but at least I wasn't getting armor capped building my online stage list, yet.

Herzon Hree'Sith
2 years ago#6
Have you tried using shield? I find that it help save me a lot, especially the tower shield. I don't think you need the javelin for speed boost since you're basically wasting one slot of weapon for it. Switching to the pile bunker might slow you down a bit but Shield + Pile bunker (or hammer) makes every swarm easy.

As for the drop ship or hector, the sniper cannon is the way to go (the heavy green bullet gun. Forgot the name). If you can control the recoil then you might even consider dual wielding it for instant drop ship destruction. Though I personally equip one sniper cannon and one missile launcher for anti air and Haven't really had any serious problem on normal and hard.
---
Graphic does not make a good game. Graphic makes a better game.
2 years ago#7
I've not had the opportunity to try out the sniper cannon. I'd need to know what it's listed under so I can find it, and even then, I probably still don't have it. I farmed a little in mission 11 Inferno and got a few powerful weapons and then moved on to farming armor in 84. I've only been playing stages that I felt he could manage.

I do use a shield with one of the machine guns that fires continuously. It helps, but the knock back, I don't know... My other weapon set is a pile bunker/javelin that does 1200 damage per hit and a three shot burst machine gun with 20 bullets and a 350m range. It's decent, but hardly great. I suppose I'll have to run across some of those other weapons, but I'm not sure where I'd find some of the more useful ones. Inferno mission 11? Or even lower difficulty somewhere else?
---
Carry Tori Amos
2 years ago#8
Look for the "NC-number" [NC101...] & "30" weapons
2 years ago#9
^^ I noticed after farming "one more time" in mission 11 Inferno that I had a level 45 NCS weapon drop. I looked all over, scrolling to the bottom of each list for it, only to be met with nothing. Where the hell was it? And then I noticed that for some reason, that weapon set was shoehorned in with the grenade launchers... -_-;;

I used it because it had a range of 400m and held three bullets and scattered like a long range shotgun. The kickback on it is tremendous, but works okay for longer range and especially airborn targets.

I still have an amazingly difficult time doing anything above Easy with the Fencer depending on the stage, but some of the more straight up fire fight types aren't so bad. This guy's reload times and slow movement just really kick my ass. Wish it was more balanced for him. Overall, I still prefer the Ranger and Wing Diver, but I want to use the Fencer in a few stages on Inferno, just have to find which ones he's best for.
---
Carry Tori Amos
2 years ago#10
MatrixAndrAIa posted...
^^ I noticed after farming "one more time" in mission 11 Inferno that I had a level 45 NCS weapon drop. I looked all over, scrolling to the bottom of each list for it, only to be met with nothing. Where the hell was it? And then I noticed that for some reason, that weapon set was shoehorned in with the grenade launchers... -_-;; .

The NCS2 Cannon Shot? If so, that should be in his Artillery category (there are 3, the Lv6 NCS1, the NCS2 you found and the Lv75 NCSS). The reason the weapons show up the way they do is because they're arranged 1st by type within each category (all Hand Cannons, all Cannon Shots...), then by level of each type.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived