Why are the vehicles so terrible and broken...

#1DirtyToenailsPosted 3/3/2014 8:35:49 AM
This control scheme is embarrassingly cumbersome!

What were they thinking!? Especially with the bipedal mech controls... Why doesn't it control just like a ground soldier? I really can't wrap my head around using ancient Resident Evil tank controls to pilot a combat mech in a third person shooter... And they really couldn't give us a crosshair? I'm just supposed to figure it out by trial and error without even being able to look out the window down my tank barrel in first person or something... Ugh. Also, good luck driving anything that isn't a tank over traintracks... holy F it's ridiculous how bad those throw your vehicle around.

I really wanted to play Air Raider, but I just can't deal with this. This control scheme is beyond outdated. It's like they went out of their way to de-streamline it. Just copy the controls from Halo or something!

Am I missing something? How do you guys get around these issues?

And side-question... the little motorcycle with the side-car, is anyone able to drive that thing? Mine is in perpetual burnout and it just slides all over the place the minute I press the gas.
#2CMaxPosted 3/3/2014 8:45:31 AM
Did you read the summary information about the bike?
---
You'll never realize how great a weapon a Cardboard Box is until you are naked and it's all you have.
GT: AcidHypnosisEDF
#3jhale230Posted 3/3/2014 8:59:39 AM
Vehicles were never really good to use on higher difficulties anyways. Maybe the helicopter once you master the controls. I personally like the controls for the helicopter
#4DirtyToenails(Topic Creator)Posted 3/3/2014 9:36:17 AM
CMax posted...
Did you read the summary information about the bike?

Not with much scrutiny... I immediately tossed it after I couldn't figure out why I was sliding everywhere lol.
#5FaxModem2000Posted 3/3/2014 9:53:28 AM
I don't know, it just seems to take practice until you know how each vehicle handled.

Initially I couldn't use any of the mechs. After some practice I'm starting to understand how to pilot them especially with the thrusters I can move very fast and fluid across the maps and even in urban combat.
#6Village IdiotPosted 3/3/2014 10:04:12 AM
For the bike, you actually have to push the stick slightly to the left otherwise you'll curve to the right and burn out.

Its actually very controllable once you get used to it.

If you want an actually crosshair, use the Railgun Tank. It comes with a laser pointer to help you aim and if you bring ZER-GUNS, just attach them to the tank and it'll kill everything around you.
---
PSN - Zaphikl
Now Playing - Mana Khemia~Student Alliance, Project Diva F, Tales of Xillia, Spelunky, Teleglitch
#7MoonlightJustPosted 3/3/2014 10:32:43 AM
...mechs are fine. Helicopters are awkward as crud, but everything else is fine with a little practice. Also keep in mind that higher level vehicles will control better then lower level variants. Also one of the early SD bikes is going to do nothing but drift, so avoid that one.

The real crime for the Air Raider is the lack of any normal weapons. At least one Limpet gun should have just worked like an on contact launcher and not required activation/tripping the wire. The string guns are a nice touch though. The long range ones make me laugh, taking down carriers with them is hilarious.
#8sdwoodchuckPosted 3/3/2014 10:39:08 AM
I love the vehicles, but not having the option to remap vehicle controls is a pretty bad oversight, especially since it was something so many people complained about in 2017 as well.
#9SairosPosted 3/3/2014 12:41:39 PM
I like the vehicles personally, they require some practice to properly use, and some intuitive guesswork when it comes to targeting, but that means they just require more skill to properly utalize, and I'm not averse to that.
---
Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
PSN: Aeturnum
#10DirtyToenails(Topic Creator)Posted 3/3/2014 2:29:12 PM
Sairos posted...
I like the vehicles personally, they require some practice to properly use, and some intuitive guesswork when it comes to targeting, but that means they just require more skill to properly utalize, and I'm not averse to that.

Guesswork is the opposite of utilizing skill...

And if it were intuitive, I wouldn't have to guess. It would be... INTUITIVE!