Why are the vehicles so terrible and broken...

#11sneakysnakePosted 3/3/2014 3:39:56 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#12sneakysnakePosted 3/3/2014 3:44:22 PM
Village Idiot posted...
For the bike, you actually have to push the stick slightly to the left otherwise you'll curve to the right and burn out.

Its actually very controllable once you get used to it.

If you want an actually crosshair, use the Railgun Tank. It comes with a laser pointer to help you aim and if you bring ZER-GUNS, just attach them to the tank and it'll kill everything around you.

There's a variant of the bike, specifically the "SDL1 Bike", that has poor tires and is only useful for "drift practice" as in the description. He might have been talking about that, because personally that was the first bike that I got.
#13sneakysnakePosted 3/3/2014 3:46:54 PM
I generally don't have a problem with how vehicles control. There's a very high learning curve, but that is how I like it. The only gripes that I have so far are the lack of scoping for Railguns and the unrealistic sluggishness of attack helicopters.
#14SairosPosted 3/3/2014 4:34:37 PM
DirtyToenails posted...
Sairos posted...
I like the vehicles personally, they require some practice to properly use, and some intuitive guesswork when it comes to targeting, but that means they just require more skill to properly utalize, and I'm not averse to that.

Guesswork is the opposite of utilizing skill...

And if it were intuitive, I wouldn't have to guess. It would be... INTUITIVE!

I take it you don't properly understand the meaning of the word, basically you use your prior experience with the weapon, and your own intuition, to where the shot will be at a certain point in it's trajectory. Essentially you guess where the shot might go, and develop a level of intuition, it is basically part of learning how to use the vehicles, being able to know where the round will go based on the trajectory of the weapons barrel rather than on a crosshair.

And I am am not in the least averse to using experience and intuition to aim rather than a crosshair for the vehicles.
---
Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
PSN: Aeturnum
#15DirtyToenails(Topic Creator)Posted 3/4/2014 7:05:57 AM
Sairos posted...
And I am am not in the least averse to using experience and intuition to aim rather than a crosshair for the vehicles.

Stop being ignorant because you like the game. I like the game too but I can still see what a mess these controls are. There are industry standards on how stuff like this is supposed to work, and you can either innovate to make it better or just take the easy way and go standard. You don't go out of your way to make it feel like an archaic PS1 title. This isn't even part of a budgeting issue. The assets are there to make it less ****.

It's 2025 and our elite soldiers are using "intuition" to pilot billion dollar war machines. Give me a break.
#16SairosPosted 3/4/2014 10:00:47 AM
DirtyToenails posted...
Sairos posted...

Stop being ignorant because you like the game. I like the game too but I can still see what a mess these controls are. There are industry standards on how stuff like this is supposed to work, and you can either innovate to make it better or just take the easy way and go standard. You don't go out of your way to make it feel like an archaic PS1 title. This isn't even part of a budgeting issue. The assets are there to make it less ****.

It's 2025 and our elite soldiers are using "intuition" to pilot billion dollar war machines. Give me a break.

I take it you aren't much of a fan of Dark Souls either are you?
---
Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
PSN: Aeturnum
#17sdwoodchuckPosted 3/4/2014 10:43:54 AM
I love EDF 2025, but the Dark Souls comparison is kinda silly. EDF is a game of tactical skill, not mechanical skill. You bring the proper weapon setup, you take advantageous positions, and you win. The actual moment to moment gameplay is not that demanding. It wasn't in 2017 either, and I'm not sure why so much of the fan-base talks about the game in the same terms as a game like Dark Souls, which is more of a mechanical skill game.

Vehicles in particular are only briefly difficult, and only for two reasons:

1) Inability to remap the controls, which is a silly oversight.
2) Lack of HUD targeting that's present for every other weapon type in the game.

Both of these are easily overcome by using the vehicles a bit and just getting used to them. This is not "requiring skill," this is simply adding an artificial barrier forcing the player to compensate for interface shortcomings.

Like I said, I love EDF, but I'm not blind to its faults, no matter how much I enjoy the game despite them. There's nothing wrong with saying "there are things wrong with it, and I still love it."
#18DirtyToenails(Topic Creator)Posted 3/4/2014 1:17:39 PM
Sairos posted...

Like the fella above me said, this comparison is silly.

Dark Souls uses old gameplay design. The controls function well and the interface is clear, like it's absolutely should in this day and age. These are separate issues.

A low budget game should still have a clear interface and proper controls. There is no excuse for that.

Since it seems to matter to you, here are my street creds: 150+ hours in DkS., 1000+++ hours in true roguelikes over the course of 14 years, and I absolutely can't hold my **** for DkS2 next week. I like old gameplay sensibility. Hence why I like EDF2025. It reminds me of Doom and Serious Sam.
#19sneakysnakePosted 3/4/2014 6:05:21 PM
Sairos posted...

Wow so edgy, feeling clever?
#20HDS177Posted 3/6/2014 11:28:30 PM
Play as a f**king Air Raider long enough and vehicles are easy to control, especially the high leveled ones. It's a simple thing called practice and reading the vehicle description in the case of the bike. Seriously...