Thunder Bow 30

#1chethecatPosted 3/12/2014 3:43:25 PM
I keep killing myself with this thing, at least in the later stages of Normal (and sometimes on Mission 16 of DLC2). I knew it could be done, I guess I am just not sure why it happens sometimes and not others. I've shot it pretty much point blank into enemies and carcasses and not even got a tan. Yet other times I seem to turn myself into a crispy-critter.

Anyone who has played a lot more WD than me offer some advice as to why I might be electrocuting myself?
---

~Cheshire~
#2Borei_no_ShiPosted 3/12/2014 3:57:51 PM
Lightning has the potential to bounce back (you will come to despise the NPCs in the caves if you use that type of weapon).
#3geelwPosted 3/12/2014 6:57:58 PM
Try to stay in the middle of a tunnel when shooting electricity weapons. I've never zapped WD to death with a Thunder Bow, but I have been wounded. That higher level Eclat, or those Groms though? I zapped poor WD AND got stomped on by that walking fortress while trying to take it down on one map. I got it that time, but it was after she died (darn thing blew up right after Mission Failed popped up on screen, grrr!).

Anyway, I think the Thunder Bow XD is a better choice once you get it.
---
"It's just a jump to the left..."
#4chethecat(Topic Creator)Posted 3/12/2014 8:00:54 PM
I'm sure the XD is better, just haven't found it yet. I'm just trying to find a way to not kill myself with it. When trying to farm up weapons for other classes, if they don't have the stamina or weaps to clean out the last bit of whatever section I'm on of DLC2M16 ... then it's shot. Hate having to do it over. So just trying to get some advice on how not to get fried. Center of the cave is good.

Other places, just be careful I guess.
---

~Cheshire~
#5geelwPosted 3/12/2014 8:15:01 PM
I think the XD is less prone to zapping you than the 30. Do you have the Reflection Laser yet? That's awesome for caves because you can bounce it off walls like lining up a pool shot and it has a lot of ammo. It's not "perfect", but if you get a nice angle lined up, you're hard to hit...
---
#6Borei_no_ShiPosted 3/13/2014 2:32:14 AM
chethecat posted...
So just trying to get some advice on how not to get fried. Center of the cave is good.

Once you make the jump to Inferno for DLC Mission Pack 2's mission 16, you'll soon see that the center of the cave tunnels is the worst place to be. Those swarms of silver spiders will take you out in seconds if you aren't hugging the walls to avoid their webs.

That's also the point where you'll realize it's best to kill the NPCs you find along the way before triggering each battle :)
#7geelwPosted 3/13/2014 6:10:15 AM
Nice. So, I guess those silver spider webs don't zap through walls or clip a corner like they did in 2017? I still get Mission 48 Inferno flashbacks thinking of a few times Storm 1 bought it because of a web hit when hugging a wall in that game (and Pale Wing getting it in the Vita version).

In the main game, I tend to play WD defensively in caves anyway, standing in one spot or backing up while sending lightning out down tunnels so nothing can get to me and making sure I have room to jet back or up away from trouble. Clear out a spot, move on to the next wave.

In other maps with packs coming from multiple points I try to clear out a route that leads to a dead end with a few junctions so I can see what's coming to get me and (hopefully) kill it before it gets too close.
---
#8ninebreaker47Posted 3/13/2014 8:09:52 AM
Spider webs ant ant acid can still cilp corners and go through walls. Not as bad as 2017, but beware.
---
I play PC, Xbox 360 and Playstation PS3 + Vita ::Psn:: Ninebreaker87 ::XBL:: iininebreakerii ::Steam:: Ninebreaker87
#9chethecat(Topic Creator)Posted 3/13/2014 9:55:40 AM
Borei_no_Shi posted...
chethecat posted...
So just trying to get some advice on how not to get fried. Center of the cave is good.

Once you make the jump to Inferno for DLC Mission Pack 2's mission 16, you'll soon see that the center of the cave tunnels is the worst place to be. Those swarms of silver spiders will take you out in seconds if you aren't hugging the walls to avoid their webs.

That's also the point where you'll realize it's best to kill the NPCs you find along the way before triggering each battle :)

I've done this mission a few times on inferno. Though if I don't take dual WDs than I fail just because I have always zapped myself at least once and so had to bring the other one out to save the day. I would like to bring other classes along for the weapons, but if I zap myself, they won't be able to save the day. Ranger might if there wasn't much left....

Guess I'll just have to be careful -- or seriously farm up some armor on easy with the other classes first (and maybe weapons on hard/hardest).
---

~Cheshire~
#10ninebreaker47Posted 3/13/2014 10:32:06 AM(edited)
Train your self to take your finger off the trigger/move to the left or right when NPC's start to get to close. Also if you hug walls alot the NPC's will jump in front of you waaaaay more often then normal. Get into a fight then stay behind them. Use em as decoys. These are the things I do to avoid NPC deaths.
---
GameFlux: Unofficial GameFAQs board browser