Any more games like this?

#11GulcasaPosted 7/1/2014 6:52:02 PM
I'll second War of the Monsters if you're into the whole B-movie feel and interacting with the environment. So many buildings to climb/destroy, so many random objects littered about to pick up and throw/hit others with. I had a lot of fun with that one.

Sandlot's giant robot games are good for the scale aspect. Robot Alchemic Drive and Remote Control Dandy SF are the only ones I've played, but they were both good fun. Interesting control schemes in both cases. Remote Control Dandy actually lets you control both the giant robot and its pilot simultaneously, which is really cool, and RAD had hilarious English voice acting and I'm pretty sure (but it's been a long time since I've played) it's possible to pick up your pilot and throw him/her. Not to mention cars and buses and the like. Not that this is something you can do in EDF, but the mention of War of the Monsters got me excited about doing stuff like that again. :(

For something more straight up similar to EDF, fighting huge hordes of huge enemies with ridiculous weapons, really the only games that I've found that have that same charm are all Sandlot's: the EDF games and Zangeki no Reginleiv (basically EDF, but set against Norse mythology with gods vs. giants instead of soldiers vs. robots/bugs). I haven't played the first EDF game, but 2/Global Defense Force does have some things that never made it to either 2017 or 2025, I believe, so that's still worth playing.
#12davebrit2Posted 7/11/2014 6:46:05 PM
Tank! Tank! Tank! for Wii U is extremely similar, though quite a bit simpler, at least in terms of controls (left stick to move/turn, A button to fire, and that's pretty much it). Quite fun, though, and I think you can do 4 or 5 players split-screen.
#13Andrew ShinnPosted 7/12/2014 8:21:43 AM
^ that was the first Wii U game I saw that I wanted to get.
---
R.I.P Nicky-------------Pat---------------Mother Puss
1989-30/4/02__1988-20/11/02__198?-22/12/02
#14davebrit2Posted 7/12/2014 10:50:54 AM
I highly recommend it if you're into EDF. The original $50 asking price was a little steep for a port of such a simple arcade game, but at the current $20 price, it's totally worth it.

Also check out Dead Nation for PS3/Vita/PS4. It uses an overhead view, but it's another carnage-heavy game that requires a lot of caution and tactics in your approach. Online and local co-op (2 players max).

And it goes without saying that EDF fans would probably enjoy Dynasty Warriors/Samurai Warriors/Warriors Orochi/Sengoku Basara.
#15Andrew ShinnPosted 7/12/2014 11:58:03 AM
i'll definitely be getting it then (once I get a Wii U of course)

the DW & SW games are great, nothing like wading through 1000+ enemies ^_^

I forgot to add, Destroy All Humans. Lots of destruction & some large enemies. I'm playing DAH3 right now, stopped playing due to playing other games, but I've got the bug again - it's a really fun game ^_^
---
R.I.P Nicky-------------Pat---------------Mother Puss
1989-30/4/02__1988-20/11/02__198?-22/12/02