Tips for Mystic Knight build?

#1WeAllAsked4ThisPosted 5/6/2013 3:27:39 PM
I was going to start a new save and was planning on making a Mystic Knight type of build. On my previous run of the game I didn't touch magic at all so I figured I'd change things up and try playing as a sort of battlemage type of character. I'm not sure exactly how the Mystic Knight plays in Dragons Dogma, but I'm hoping to have decent amount of health/strength along with the ability to alternate my offensive options between beating people up with a weapon and destroying them with spells. So pretty much just playing as a Fighter but also having the option to use magic. Is that how the Mystic Knight class normally plays, and if not, could I force it to play that way without much problems?

And forgive me for having so many questions, but:

-What vocations should I start with before making the switch to MK?
-At which level should I actually switch to MK?
-What are some good augments to pick up along the way?
-What skill setup would be good?
-What kind of pawn would best compliment me?
---
http://i.minus.com/icT32CunKMiZu.gif
http://i.minus.com/iolofTBhyw6bQ.gif
#2CookieThief101Posted 5/6/2013 6:20:06 PM
WeAllAsked4This posted...
I was going to start a new save and was planning on making a Mystic Knight type of build. On my previous run of the game I didn't touch magic at all so I figured I'd change things up and try playing as a sort of battlemage type of character. I'm not sure exactly how the Mystic Knight plays in Dragons Dogma, but I'm hoping to have decent amount of health/strength along with the ability to alternate my offensive options between beating people up with a weapon and destroying them with spells. So pretty much just playing as a Fighter but also having the option to use magic. Is that how the Mystic Knight class normally plays, and if not, could I force it to play that way without much problems?

And forgive me for having so many questions, but:

-What vocations should I start with before making the switch to MK?
-At which level should I actually switch to MK?
-What are some good augments to pick up along the way?
-What skill setup would be good?
-What kind of pawn would best compliment me?

I loved the Mystic Knight my first playthrough. You can tailor it to an assault or defensive/support class which really makes for some interesting combinations.

Vocation-wise, I got to maybe 5-6 stars (levels/tiers) with the sword/shield and mage classes to get some of the augments. I think I actually switched to it around level 45-50ish? Sorry I'm not sure exactly when.

Augment-wise I used Fortitude (up defense by 30), Restoration (restores pawns health by 50% when you revive them) and Sanctuary (Dramatic boost to health and defense when you're health is critical) from the mystic knight class.
I also used Bastion for defense (Redundant, but I preferred a "Tank" build), Perpetuation (increased effect time for enchantments) and Fitness (Halve stamina used during grappling/climbing).

Skill Setup (hehehe this part is my favorite (>u<) )
I equipped my Mystic Knight with a one handed weapon and a magic shield. For One Handed Skills I used:
-Sky Rapture (Upgraded from Sky Dance), the user propels themselves forward and in the air stabbing through anything in front of them. Great for harpies/etc.
-Full Moon Slash (Upgraded from Compass Slash) The user swings in a figure-eight almost landing multiple hits.
-Great Cannon (Upgraded from Magick Cannon), the user plants a glyph on the ground that, when struck, releases projectiles that target the enemies.

For the Magick Shield Skills i used:

-Fire Enchant: Enchant yours and any nearby pawns weapons with fire.
-Holy Enchant: " " " with holy.
-Holy Furor (Upgraded from Holy Glare): The user charges a large holy-elemental beam that if anything, looks really fricken cool lol. The charge up is long and stamina usage is harsh but it's the closest thing to the Kamehameha in this game. (>o<){===========O

Now here is the very important part. When you use either Fire or Holy Enchant, it will change the elemental effect of the Great Cannon (also using an elemental weapon will too i think). So use that first. Set up the Great Cannon, then spam Full Moon Slash on the Cannon repeatedly and you will launch probably 30-40 projectiles every couple of swings. This is great for mobs of enemies like undead or harpies, etc. It's great on bosses too because the projectiles will target different limbs. I loved using this on the gryphon with the fire element, the poor bastard could never get in the air!

Now for pawn, I used mine as a ranger with skills like the impaler arrow that stuck the enemies in place, my buddy used an offensive sword and shield pawn so I always used her to round out my team. Now the Mystic Knight can't heal unless he has a staff so mine required a 4th pawn as a healer.

Now that's alot lol but I hope this helps you out. I was level, 65 or so during the everfall quest at the end and I breezed through with this build.

Good Luck!
#3WeAllAsked4This(Topic Creator)Posted 5/7/2013 11:19:24 AM
Wow thank you very much for the big post! I'll get to work on a Mystic Knight soon and try to follow those guidelines. I really appreciate the advice :D
---
http://i.minus.com/icT32CunKMiZu.gif
http://i.minus.com/iolofTBhyw6bQ.gif