Could I be a decent magick archer?

#1UltimateTurtleXPosted 6/30/2013 2:23:51 AM
I was a fighter from 1-28 and a mystic knight from 28-57. I am still a MK and currently in fathom deep in ng+ however I'm starting BBI now and I've gotten to the room with the gazer, if my progress matters. Anyway I'm wondering that if I switched to a MA, would I do crappy damage because of my past vocations?
#2pweidmanPosted 6/30/2013 4:07:40 AM
Probably. Spend some time playing Sorcerer to lvl your magic. And at least max the vocation so you get all the Sorc augs...there are some key ones you'll need for MA.

Personally I played Sorcerer for maybe 25 lvls or so is all, and my 170 MA is kinda silly OP(normal diff btw). I'd say you should at least grind the vocation to max and at least get access to the augs though.
---
GT= PWEID5
#3mooninomicsPosted 6/30/2013 4:11:32 PM
You should be alright. Especially because you've still got plenty of time to build your stats up. It'd certainly be worth it to put a few levels in as a sorcerer before you hit 100, though.

Personally, my magick stat is pretty terrible (by the time I realized how stat gains work, I'd already put in 80+ levels as a warrior... And probably another 30-40 as an assassin), and I can still thrash enemies as a magick archer. Not as well as other players, but it's all good. Though thinking about it, as you start nearing the end of your leveling, everything can thrash enemies.

You'll be fine. Your stats are still very malleable at that level. Aim to increase your magick stat and you'll be good to go. Magick archer is a very fun and versatile vocation. Enjoy!
---
Are you suggesting that moon should get off his ass and write some stories? He's like the Stephen King of gamefaqs. - Sorbz
#4UltimateTurtleX(Topic Creator)Posted 7/3/2013 5:25:25 AM
Ok, it turns out I was actually level 66, not 57, but hopefully that doesn't matter. Anyway, I went from 66-70 as a sorcerer and ranked up all the way and got acuity (the magic augment). The thing is, I hated it. The casting life is just not for me, and if I want to be a good MA, I think it'd be good for me to pump in like 20 more sorcerer levels, but I don't know is I'm up for that. How many levels as a sorcerer do you think an MA should have?
#5closetblondePosted 7/4/2013 3:30:48 AM
Strider gives decent magic attack growth (along with everything else!) so you could run as strider until level 100 and see what you magic stat is (to be a decent MA you need a magic stat of @400).
#6UltimateTurtleX(Topic Creator)Posted 7/4/2013 7:43:36 AM
According to the wiki, striders and mystic knights both gain 3 magick attack per level. So if I decide not to go through with being a sorcerer, would it be just as beneficial to my magic stat to be a mystic knight? Because I already was a MK and I kept my armor and weapons, so I'd rather go back to MK for a while than switch to a new vocation again.
#7closetblondePosted 7/4/2013 9:02:40 AM
UltimateTurtleX posted...
According to the wiki, striders and mystic knights both gain 3 magick attack per level. So if I decide not to go through with being a sorcerer, would it be just as beneficial to my magic stat to be a mystic knight? Because I already was a MK and I kept my armor and weapons, so I'd rather go back to MK for a while than switch to a new vocation again.

If you prefer MK then run with that. You might get less stamina per level but you could fix that easily with some Strider/Ranger levels.
#8UltimateTurtleX(Topic Creator)Posted 7/4/2013 11:03:55 AM
Ok one last question, when you say 400 I assume you mean without any weapon equipped? Thanks for all the help by the way.
#9KarathraxPosted 7/4/2013 11:16:15 AM

Play as you like.

I leveled as Mage, Sorcerer to 54, then mostly MK to 200. My str is 374, mag is 580 and stamina is just under 3000. I would not call that a balanced build at all, as my Arisen violates two of the three standards I recommend for those who want to play MK or simply achieve a balanced build (500 minimum in both str and mag, at least 3300-3500 in stamina, at 200). Between the Xbox and PS3 I've built 5 wildly different Arisens and pawns to 200, and my favorite is still my first-- the stats I listed above. That includes both a str min/max, a mag min/max and two different balanced builds specifically planned out for MK.

I took my 80th online Ur kill last gen, and I currently switch from Ranger, Sorcerer and my favorite MK vocation and occasionally dabble in MA. If I can kill the end boss of BBI with 5-7 shots of Tenfold Flurry using the appropriate equipment and augments with a paltry str of 374, well...

The former recommendations of min/max either str or mag were appropriate for the vanilla game and were only really useful for fighting the online Ur during the rounds prior to its death. That wasn't really necessary then (55 of my kills were pre-gen 200), and is most certainly not necessary in DA. No matter how you play, your build will most emphatically NOT be gimped. As long as you ensure your Arisen (and pawn, if you want to switch its vocations) reach at least those minimums stated above, you can play any vocation with success-- provided you use the appropriate augments to suit your gameplay and vocation.

What it boils down to is... do you want to kill most enemies at 200 really efficiently, or do you want to be able to kill all enemies a few moments longer? Swinging either one's str or mag to higher than, say, 550, will be correspondingly offset by respectively less mdef or def, and if the mag is the higher stat, stamina will also be shorted-- my biggest personal annoyance with my Arisen and even then that's only a minor issue even in Hard mode.
---
GT/PSN: Karathrax, Alt: Sekhmeti
#10KarathraxPosted 7/4/2013 11:17:29 AM
Ok one last question, when you say 400 I assume you mean without any weapon equipped?

Yes, that refers to your base stat prior to its multiplication through augments and equipment. That's always the number in parentheses to the right of your load-out stat.
---
GT/PSN: Karathrax, Alt: Sekhmeti