Mimics and Capcom Difficulty

#1caramel_codPosted 4/27/2013 9:13:35 PM
So I just started DA today and, after hearing tons of reviewers compare it to Dark Souls, I've decided to begin comparing the two games as I make my way through Bitterblack Isle. Ten minutes in, I'm already starting to understand the criticism of "Capcom Difficulty" the expansion has had levied towards it.

My experience with the first mimic I encountered in Dark Souls is one many veterans of that game share: Opening a chest in Sens Fortress expecting treasure, only to be gobbled up by the maw of the freakish beast lurking within. This gaff cost me a good 15 minutes of progress, and was a tough loss to swallow. Upon returning to the mimic, however, I lodged a few arrows in it and, when it attacked me directly after forgoing it's disguise, I defeated it by luring it into the nearby boulder trap.

This was a satisfying victory, but I remembered the lesson that the mimic taught me and, as a precaution, struck every chest I encountered before opening it for the remainder of the game.

My first mimic in Dark Arisen was... less impressive. I open the chest, I fail the quicktime event (which requires inhuman waggling skills) and I die. Upon opening the chest, I'm locked into an animation that makes avoiding the mimic impossible. Shooting the chest first does nothing, using instant reset does nothing, you cannot dodge, attack, or interrupt the mimic in any way.

In Dark Souls, the player can use prior knowledge of a foe they've been defeated by to avoid death in the future. Not so in this scenario, where the player has literally no possible way to avoid damage (or, if you're playing solo as I usually do, death).

Am I missing something here, or is this assessment accurate?
#2glenn3ePosted 4/27/2013 9:14:52 PM
Ive avoided mimic chests before. Open it and quickly spam dodge-roll. I do that with most chests now.
---
PSN for Dragon's Dogma:
glenn_3e(105+ Mage) and jessicaglenn(115+ Warrior)
#3KantonosoPosted 4/27/2013 9:17:57 PM
Have a pawn around to free you. They just need to hit it.

In essence they fixed the "LMAO ASSASSIN AUGMENTS BREAK THE GAME" and anyone complaining otherwise is just butthurt.
---
PSN: Ranylyn. Mass Effect 3 Adept/Sentinel/Engineer
Currently Playing: Fire Emblem Awakening. Tactician: Ranylyn
#4caramel_cod(Topic Creator)Posted 4/27/2013 9:20:18 PM(edited)
glenn3e posted...
Ive avoided mimic chests before. Open it and quickly spam dodge-roll. I do that with most chests now.

It does absolutely nothing for me. I can be spamming the roll command before the chest even opens and it does nothing. Once the chest opens, my Arisen is frozen.

I also find it interesting that, even if you open the chest from behind, the mimic will actually clip through the chest and grab you anyway. haha

Kantonoso posted...
Have a pawn around to free you. They just need to hit it.

In essence they fixed the "LMAO ASSASSIN AUGMENTS BREAK THE GAME" and anyone complaining otherwise is just butthurt.

I REALLY hate having pawns with me. I've been playing solo since release and I'd hate to think that a single, poorly-designed enemy will be the end of that trend.
#5Grimwu1fePosted 4/27/2013 9:23:47 PM
Have you tried using invisibility before opening each chest?
---
PSN: Grimwulfe
DA Pawn: Fiora | Fighter | LV <70 | Scather/Utilitarian
#6caramel_cod(Topic Creator)Posted 4/27/2013 9:25:49 PM
Grimwu1fe posted...
Have you tried using invisibility before opening each chest?

I'm not an assassin, but I probably should be if that's the only option. Might try that tomorrow.
#7Aka_NekoPosted 4/27/2013 9:41:54 PM
the problem comes when you are standing next to a chest, and NONE OF YOUR FREAKING PAWNS will open the chest. *sighing* finally giving it, I open it and BAM its a MIMIC fantastic. So i get grabbed... and should be instantly broken free, right? NOPE I have to sit struggling for ages, watching my lifebar wipe, while my pawns stupidly just wander around next to me. This has happened quite a few times. Its severely annoying. I hate opening chests now cuz of it.
#8KantonosoPosted 4/27/2013 9:46:09 PM
caramel_cod posted...
I REALLY hate having pawns with me. I've been playing solo since release and I'd hate to think that a single, poorly-designed enemy will be the end of that trend.

Then play another game.

Pawns were designed to be a major aspect of the game. The whole online component is pawn based. There's a pawn community accessible through the game's main menu itself. Etc etc. You may as well play a Pokemon game and say "I don't like using pokemon, I want to punch the trainer in the face instead." Tough, that's not how the game was designed.

The fact that Assassin solo augment existed at all? Okay, you could make an argument for that Magick Archer skill that uses pawns as ammo, maybe. But seriously, THAT kind of power was complete and utter BS, completely made pawns at all utterly pointless, and was an affront to the balance.

Having enemies that excel in killing solo players to balance it out is completely justified and if you don't like it, play something different.
---
PSN: Ranylyn. Mass Effect 3 Adept/Sentinel/Engineer
Currently Playing: Fire Emblem Awakening. Tactician: Ranylyn
#9caramel_cod(Topic Creator)Posted 4/27/2013 9:51:01 PM(edited)
Aka_Neko posted...
the problem comes when you are standing next to a chest, and NONE OF YOUR FREAKING PAWNS will open the chest. *sighing* finally giving it, I open it and BAM its a MIMIC fantastic. So i get grabbed... and should be instantly broken free, right? NOPE I have to sit struggling for ages, watching my lifebar wipe, while my pawns stupidly just wander around next to me. This has happened quite a few times. Its severely annoying. I hate opening chests now cuz of it.

And you're like... the third person I've heard voice this complaint. That pawns are often useless in dealing with the mimics.

This is why the "why u play solo? dis is party game and u need pwns!!!" argument I've seen levied against such complaints falls flat to me.

Kantonoso posted...
Having enemies that excel in killing solo players to balance it out is completely justified and if you don't like it, play something different.

Right, except Capcom managed to avoid doing that for the entire vanilla game, which I've logged hundreds of hours into. They made solo play an option, with additional buffs and experience, why punish me for playing how I want?

I accept that the game will be tougher solo, but forcing me to rely on questionable AI to avoid inescapable deaths is undeniably poor design.
#10doujinftwPosted 4/27/2013 9:59:33 PM
caramel_cod posted...
Aka_Neko posted...

And you're like... the third person I've heard voice this complaint. That pawns are often useless in dealing with the mimics.

This is why the "why u play solo? dis is party game and u need pwns!!!" argument I've seen levied against such complaints falls flat to me.

Kantonoso posted...

Right, except Capcom managed to avoid doing that for the entire vanilla game, which I've logged hundreds of hours into. They made solo play an option, with additional buffs and experience, why punish me for playing how I want?

I accept that the game will be tougher solo, but forcing me to rely on questionable AI to avoid inescapable deaths is undeniably poor design.

What were you soloing as?
---
I want to drag you out to the wilderness and let the monsters have their way with you! Repeatedly