really CAPCOM?

#1wyrm_huntPosted 5/3/2013 12:44:06 AM
so i just downloaded DD:DA last night, and decide to give it a try before going to bed. and boy was it hard. i don't think its because my character is weak, the only thing that can even threaten me in vanilla was dagonkin. but then i realise something, the deeper i go, it became more and more like Dark Souls. i swear that capcom ripped that chest monster straight from dark souls.

i mean its like dungeon with overpowering foe, that always (well, most of them) have a certain flaw/weakness to beat them.

like that room with two chained gorecyclops, you can just get to second floor and kill them with bow from there with no fuss at all, but try it in the room, and you're in for one helluva carnage. anor londo anyone?

furthermore, riftstones that needs to be repaired for certain number or RC? few "safe spots" to rest once every few rooms? hell, they could just slap some bonfire and call it a day seeing how far they go with the feel and looks and enemy and all.

i'm not saying its bad, its awesome, but it does left some bad taste in my mouth. and in the end of it, i pick my dark souls disc and play that instead.
---
PSN: khakhie Pawn: Alice (lvl 200 mage)
Alt PSN: khiekhan Pawn: Marian (lvl 50-ish Warrior)
#2OmenofFatePosted 5/3/2013 12:49:16 AM
This feels nothing like Dark Souls I have no idea where that is coming from. In my opinion the safe rooms remind me of Resident Evil 4 when the music played during those rooms as well with Barroch playing the whaaddya buying weirdo. The developers wanted to give those that were bored something to do with this game and they did a great job.
#3Ninja_GaignunPosted 5/3/2013 12:51:20 AM
OmenofFate posted...
This feels nothing like Dark Souls I have no idea where that is coming from. In my opinion the safe rooms remind me of Resident Evil 4 when the music played during those rooms as well with Barroch playing the whaaddya buying weirdo. The developers wanted to give those that were bored something to do with this game and they did a great job.

Have you never played Dark Souls?
---
Don't read this sig. I TOLD YOU TO STOP! Why are you still reading?
#4wyrm_hunt(Topic Creator)Posted 5/3/2013 12:58:59 AM
OmenofFate posted...

have you ever play dark souls?

and well, it waaaaaayyyyy easier than dark souls. i'm not saying capcom sip dark souls off and when they make DA, i just say it reminds me a bit too much of dark souls. and it kinda force me to play the way i play dark souls. just with some companion to help and/or drive you nuts
---
#5OmenofFatePosted 5/3/2013 1:12:32 AM
Its funny you complain the game is difficult and then immediately compare it to Dark Souls. How is this anything like Dark Souls? You have varieties in enemy spawns and ambushes. Final Fantasy 6 had mimics so I guess Dark Souls copied from Square huh? See I did that as well.
#6DanulusPosted 5/3/2013 1:19:59 AM
OmenofFate posted...
Its funny you complain the game is difficult and then immediately compare it to Dark Souls. How is this anything like Dark Souls? You have varieties in enemy spawns and ambushes. Final Fantasy 6 had mimics so I guess Dark Souls copied from Square huh? See I did that as well.

And Square copied from Dragon Quest. (Enix)
---
"Do not swallow your moral code in tablet form." - Christopher Hitchens
"That's all I needed to hear." - Raiden
#7wyrm_hunt(Topic Creator)Posted 5/3/2013 1:21:53 AM
OmenofFate posted...

just play dark souls before/after you make a BBI run, not just daimon run, and see if that game didn't remind you of dark souls a bit too much.

i'm not saying its bad, i like it. it gave the challenge that i haven't feel for a long time in this game. i also like the puzzling lay out of the island and all. it call for exactly what the veteran's complains and did awesomely well on it. but it still leave a bad taste in my mouth. it feels like dark souls a bit too much. granted it's not as unforgiving as dark souls, nor it as deep as dark souls, but still......

of course its just a personal opinion, anyone can feel free to agree to disagree with me.
---
#8FafnirPosted 5/3/2013 1:30:22 AM
Still always had and always will have more of an oldschool DnD feel. Considering how much vanilla DD drew from DnD, that's not at all surprising (Mimics are from DnD, by the way).
---
Gamefaqs mods are fair and knowledgable. Failure to accept this fact will result in immediate suspension with no review.
#9DredjPosted 5/3/2013 2:47:48 AM
I can see where he's coming from in saying this is harder then Dark or Demon's Souls, I was thinking the same thing when I started this game. Everything was kicking my arse.

Once you level up a bit though and get used to how the game is working it's really not that hard. I went from " oh god dammit, a Manticore..." and then pathing around it to "A Manticore! CHARRGGEEE!!!".

A major factor in the difficulty for me in this is the lack of information on how Pawns work, so I had my main Pawn and Rook to around level 20'ish, so just think to yourself how much of the game you can accomplish in 20 levels, and I did that without Pawns basically. Saurians kicked my arse, my god were the bandits kicking my arse, especially archers. Cyclops I could manage quite easily, Manticores were a no go.

But once I cemented what I knew about Pawns and went into the Rift and summoned to Gamefaqers Pawns, my combat strength went over 9000. Immediately I went and fought a Cyclops, which took like 1 minute to kill instead of 10. Manticores went from a nope.gif to just as easy as a Cyclops to kill.

Early in the game I also didn't understand the health bar. My main Pawn is a Mage, with heal and she WOULD heal me, but eventually I would be stuck at like 300 health and a days walk from Cassardis or the Capital. It wasn't until I was encumbered and ate some apples to heal myself, and a fight afterwards that I saw how the health bar and healing worked.

Another thing I just thought of, even as I have probably put about 80 hours into this game and I'm nearly level 40, I still only have a vague grasp on the crafting. I have all these materials like Cyclops bones and Saurian Scales that I have been throwing into storage with the thinking of some sort of smith will open or something and I can finally use this stuff and make armour and weapons. I'm still waiting... I know how to combine, before someone is like "duh... like this" I've been making my own health pots, and I also don't want to be told how to use these materials, I will get it eventually I'm sure.

This game only beats you over the head when you are new to it and don't know what you are doing. Quite frankly I put that down to it being a Japanese game, like Dark Souls this game tells you crap all, it gives you a Lantern and kicks you into the world with 1 objective, find the dragon. And I think that it's part of the charm with Souls and DD, it makes you find your own path and figure things out yourself. A western game like this would have tutorials all over the place and be story driven, you'll always know where to go and what your options are and when you are done with that, exposition tells you what to do next. These elements don't exist in Souls and DD. To me, with Dragons Dogma, the adventure of getting there is the story, and everyone has a different story to tell.

I love both games dearly, and they have a permanent place in my library.
#10KreynorPosted 5/3/2013 3:02:34 AM
I recently started playing for the first time and so far I had some serious problems with some lizards in those tunnels that you access via the well. After a couple of tries I beat them, trying not to fight more than 1-2 at a time.
I think it's just a matter of practice and of learning how the game works.
Demon's Souls and Dark Souls are just on another level.