really CAPCOM?

#41RudderZPosted 5/4/2013 6:50:48 AM
redroses_4life posted...
Dark Souls is just fake difficulty.

Dogma is FAR superior to that Falling Off Cliffs Stimulator.

That is bollocks.

Dark Souls is a very intricately made game that is perfectly fair at every single interval provided you take it slowly. Everything has a weak point, everything has some sort of "tell" and players have options to avoid damage and win. The only exception is Seethe's first fight which is fine since you can recover your stuff if you have a teleport.

Dragon's Dogma is a dynamic action game with huge problems that take the difficulty way beyond "Fake difficulty", but is still a great game in its own right. Its problems are down to obviously limited development.
#42VegerunksPosted 5/4/2013 7:35:09 AM
wyrm_hunt posted...
so i just downloaded DD:DA last night, and decide to give it a try before going to bed. and boy was it hard. i don't think its because my character is weak, the only thing that can even threaten me in vanilla was dagonkin. but then i realise something, the deeper i go, it became more and more like Dark Souls. i swear that capcom ripped that chest monster straight from dark souls.

Yea... it's called a DLC post-game dungeon so of course it's harder than dragonkins. Mimics have existed long before Dark Souls was even imagined.

i mean its like dungeon with overpowering foe, that always (well, most of them) have a certain flaw/weakness to beat them.

Is this the first rpg you've played? In a lot of rpgs you come across areas where you NEED certain abilities or tactics to kill something. Again Dark Souls is not the first or even 10th to do this.

furthermore, riftstones that needs to be repaired for certain number or RC? few "safe spots" to rest once every few rooms? hell, they could just slap some bonfire and call it a day seeing how far they go with the feel and looks and enemy and all.

I believe they're called Save points in RPGs you can use a tent to heal. The riftstones needing repairs is to add difficulty to the dungeon. You can choose to either pay to repair riftstones so your pawns can heal away from safe zones, or just continually pick them back up on deaths.

The only part of this that reminds me of Dark Souls is the darkness in the levels which fits the theme of the island so no not ripping off DS in the least.
---
Xbox 360 GamerTag: HolyKnight22
PSN: CrimsonDivide
#43doujinftwPosted 5/4/2013 7:56:52 AM(edited)
Shadow286 posted...
doujinftw posted...
2DFighter84 posted...
^ sorry if it upsets you or whatever... well not really, i find it funny. but dark souls is just a bad game with extremely poor design in just about every way. its a game full of glitches, design flaws, and fake difficulty in the form of trial and error over player skill. the praise it gets on this site is undeserved.

if anything, BBI is what dark souls should have been.

I also have to add to what you said the fans of that series also claim that the story is rich of lore but in reality there are no lore just a bunch of story weave together by fandom and people eat it up

Except that Kaathe and Frampt outright vomit the story onto your face.

Pur plez i have enough of albino dragon mate with giantess to create Priscilla and that coming from me someone who have no problem with gender bender hentai or how about that useless trinket that all of you been fool in thinking that it contain some sort of special lore that you have to try hit every single wall only to eventually be told by epic bro that its a joke item. Dont even get me started with father of darkness time travel crap.
---
I want to drag you out to the wilderness and let the monsters have their way with you! Repeatedly
#44Shadow286Posted 5/4/2013 8:10:51 AM
doujinftw posted...
Shadow286 posted...
doujinftw posted...
2DFighter84 posted...
^ sorry if it upsets you or whatever... well not really, i find it funny. but dark souls is just a bad game with extremely poor design in just about every way. its a game full of glitches, design flaws, and fake difficulty in the form of trial and error over player skill. the praise it gets on this site is undeserved.

if anything, BBI is what dark souls should have been.

I also have to add to what you said the fans of that series also claim that the story is rich of lore but in reality there are no lore just a bunch of story weave together by fandom and people eat it up

Except that Kaathe and Frampt outright vomit the story onto your face.

Pur plez i have enough of albino dragon mate with giantess to create Priscilla and that coming from me someone who have no problem with gender bender hentai or how about that useless trinket that all of you been fool in thinking that it contain some sort of special lore that you have to try hit every single wall only to eventually be told by epic bro that its a joke item. Dont even get me started with father of darkness time travel crap.

Do you understand the difference between lore and story?
#45redroses_4lifePosted 5/4/2013 8:24:10 AM
RudderZ posted...
redroses_4life posted...
Dark Souls is just fake difficulty.

Dogma is FAR superior to that Falling Off Cliffs Stimulator.

That is bollocks.

Dark Souls is a very intricately made game that is perfectly fair at every single interval provided you take it slowly. Everything has a weak point, everything has some sort of "tell" and players have options to avoid damage and win. The only exception is Seethe's first fight which is fine since you can recover your stuff if you have a teleport.

Dragon's Dogma is a dynamic action game with huge problems that take the difficulty way beyond "Fake difficulty", but is still a great game in its own right. Its problems are down to obviously limited development.

LMAO

By weak spot, you mean tedious exploiting?

The exploring in Dark Souls is great, the atmosphere is amazing, but the gameplay sucks hard.

Maybe I was expecting too much of it, which was a shame cos I really wanted to like it.

And what "fake difficulty" does Dogma have?
---
Anjar elium farakeeu agua.
Dragon's Dogma Pawn: La'roule, Level 200, Tank Mage, (DA), PSN: friendy08
#46XFactor1Posted 5/4/2013 9:22:34 AM
Combat system in Dark Souls is more fun than Dogma in every aspect except spell casting and archery.

Repeated play throughs of Dark Souls is more fun than Dogma IMO. Dogma's few bosses don't stand out at all. Bosses in Dogma are just advanced enemies with more health bars.
---
--
#47Zeran_kariashiPosted 5/4/2013 10:04:06 AM
Dark Souls (Like Demon Souls before it) is purposely designed to harken back to the old school of gaming, when pattern memorization, and twitch reaction, and absolute mastery of your movement controls wasn't just required for 100% completion..it was required to get past the first couple enemies. THAT is what skill based gaming is...just like a FPS with no auto-aim...if you can't shoot worth a damn, you lose. The Souls games are simply a non-fps variation of that theme.

Just be glad it's not up to 1000/10 on the difficulty scale like insane-mode I Wanna Be The Guy, and is only about a 7/10 difficulty scale vs the classic on the list of the hardest video games ever made.

While some stylistic elements of certain things are reminiscent of dark souls, DD:DA's play is mostly Monster Hunter (predates the Souls games by a good bit) + some elements of Shadow of the Colossus except adding a decent story combining several elements of other stories in a surprisingly interesting way, and level/class system.

And stop complaining about the difficulty...no one forces you to play hard....it's meant to be a challenge, and I can assure you, it's very, very easy to not get hit if you play your class well, once you're experienced with tactics for dealing with each enemy (that's where the skill part in skill based gaming comes in).

The whole mimic killing you easily thing, is very much DnD as well.....they release a paralyzing breath attack when disturbed that can, depending on placement and save rolls easily disable and slaughter your party once you're all helpless (though some editions removed or toned down the ability).
#482DFighter84Posted 5/4/2013 11:28:17 AM
dark souls isnt a throwback to oldschool gaming, its a throw away. difficulty comes from competent enemy AI (which dark souls has none of). enemies in dark souls are essencially traps laid out in specific locations to blindside the player (trial and error). if you know what to expect, its a cake walk because that undead that stands there until you get within 10 feet of it will simply bounce off your sheild when it tries to blindside you. repeat playthroughs, because of this, are boring because enemies lack AI which makes the next encounter the exact same as the first.

enemies have AI in dragons dogma. they'll behave different based on how you approach or attack them. its not all about blindsiding the player into an instant cheap death situation, its about players using skill and adapting to the situation to overcome the battle. dark souls bosses are as pathetic as the regular enemies, in many cases, standing extremly close to the boss means it cant touch you (the giant wolf, spider boss, etc). dragons dogma bosses arent at simple as that. nor do dragons dogma bosses rely on attack patterns.

and like the other guy mentioned, the story of dark souls is non-exsistant. i beat that game and have no idea what the point of anything was. everything is fan speculation. the game really doesnt give you anything in regaurds to story and the lore is boring... im sorry but reading a million item descriptions to obtain background info on the world and characters is boring.

dragons dogma + 8 / dark souls -9
---
2-frackin'-D: The voice of the voiceless / Best in the World
#49grannas211Posted 5/4/2013 11:40:04 AM
2DFighter84 posted...

and like the other guy mentioned, the story of dark souls is non-exsistant. i beat that game and have no idea what the point of anything was. everything is fan speculation. the game really doesnt give you anything in regaurds to story and the lore is boring...

hahaha
#50wyrm_hunt(Topic Creator)Posted 5/6/2013 10:15:28 PM
2DFighter84 posted...
@wyrm--- dark souls really isnt challenging. the enemy ai is some of the worst ive seen. everything in the game relies on trial and error. youre purposely put in "no win" situations at times with your only option being to get murdered, then remember that spot next time. enemies rely on basic attack patterns rather than any artificial intellegence. theres even a boss that you can get to fall off a cliff to its death. whole zones are plagued by super low framrates to the point of it being unenjoyable, or targeting system being broken for some unexplained reason, and a long list of other flaws... yet internet posters write off dark souls long list of flaws as a "challenge".

dragons dogma at least provides a legit challenge if you arent over leveled. hard mode is kinda lame imo. the whole "one shot them before they one shot you" just doesnt scream "fun" to me. but im just playing through BBI on normal difficulty and having plenty of challenge. i started the island at lvl 72.

about the mimics, they've been in countless other games before dark souls. but they dont insta-kill you in this game. pawns will break you out if youre not one of those peole who plays solo. and i was agreeing with you about the atmosphere being similar to dark souls. i was just agreeing like an ass because i hate dark souls.

i actually find dragon dogma AI to pretty much the same as dark souls. DkS's AI just much much more brutal and aggressive it can actually be exploited.

legit challenge as long as you don't overleveled? sure, but how high is overleveled? i started hard mode as mage then sorcerer after playing as phys type in all my gaming life, and i stroll easily through pretty much everything after lvl 56. does that mean i'm over leveled? kinda lame considering the cap is 200. in DkS, you can be SL 700-ish and the four kings still will hand your ass to you in matter of second. not to mention AoTA expansion creature.

don't get me wrong, i love DD, i still play it. it has so much things to collect to satisfy my OCD self. BBI was a nice addition, with increased difficulty that dissapointly didn't last long. after a few chamber i killed everything with ease. the atmosphere is what i complained about.
---
PSN: khakhie Pawn: Alice (lvl 200 mage)
Alt PSN: khiekhan Pawn: Marian (lvl 50-ish Warrior)