Hire my pawn/Sorc Pawn advice topic.

#11Phil_ReschPosted 5/10/2013 4:23:58 AM
I have swapped Frigor and Levin for Gicel and Fulmination, and the results were very good. The casting times are not longer enough to cause any trouble, and the skills work better. Thanks for the advice Caledh.

As for Voidspell, yeah, it's true that with LV3 BBI armors you're pretty much covered against most status alterations, but I also consider that potential renters might not have those armors. And I can't be bothered to continuously swap skills before resting :D
#12CaledhPosted 5/10/2013 5:45:19 AM
I'm glad it is working out for you :)

Now that you have all the spells I like you could as well tell me your psn. You'll get some RC I have someone set up to synch spells with my pawn ;)
---
"What a disappointment - I was hoping for the 'Rains of Castamere'."
#13Phil_ReschPosted 5/10/2013 6:19:10 AM
Sure! I'd be glad to lend you my pawn.

My PSN is ReinhartDoomlord

(By the way, just half a hour ago Fulmination was invaluable against a Living Armor)
#14CaledhPosted 5/10/2013 8:03:56 AM
I picked him up and so far they work very well together.
I'm somewhat jealous of your stagger resistance but I can't bring myself to equip my pawn with neither the sovereign mantle nor the hellfire cloak. But maybe seeing her being interrupted while Boudewijn stands firm will change my mind ;)

So far they tend to cling to each other like Siamese twins and are especially fond of syncing Fulmination and Bolide.

I'm still not done leveling (about 180 or so I believe), so if you don't mind I'll send you a FR so I won't need to tip Boude off with 200k RC again, just in case he runs into Death's scythe.

Cheers
---
#15Phil_ReschPosted 5/10/2013 2:58:53 PM
Sure, send me a friendship request. I'm sorry you had to spend that much RC to hire my pawn, you could have sent me a request straight away! Anyway, I'm glad he's being useful to you :)
#16CaledhPosted 5/10/2013 4:17:18 PM
No worries, I'm not really short on RC and it was a good investment :)

I'll send a FR when I get home, thanks mate.
---
#17vorpal_raddishPosted 5/10/2013 5:59:48 PM(edited)
Too many long cast spells. You're better off only using one 3rd tier sorcerer spell, or they'll hardly ever get anything off in battle. I also suggest not putting any BBI skill rings on your pawn, because Grand spells take forever to cast.

I use High Frigor, High Ingle, High Levin/ High Bolide, High Miasma, High Voidspell

(Swapping out ingle, bolide, and voidspell as I see fit. I find voidspell to be pretty useful in BBI as some mobs petrify along with the multiple debilitations you can suffer from things like leap worms that can't be cured by halidom, and bolide is surprisingly quick and very deadly in BBI's cramped corridors.)

Inclinations: (1) Utilitarian (2) Challenger (3) Scather

(For mirroring and to avoid mob climbing, as stated above.)

Augments: Acuity, Articulacy, Attunement, Conservation, Gravitas, & Equanimity.

(I swap out the last two as necessary. I use equanimity because my sorc is based around DPS and pawns are typically low on health in BBI anyway. I also tend to use gravitas as I found it will encourage the pawn to finish casting when they're close instead of jumping, but for the most part they'll still jump to avoid damage so it can be replaced with something better.)

Pretty sure wrymking ring does work on rentals btw. I'm pretty sure I've noticed a significant difference anyway.
#18Dark OnePosted 5/10/2013 5:28:23 PM
I have a support mage, could always use hires and advice. She's set up as a healer/buffer. I never know what offensive spells to keep on her, though.

PSN - Chace8625
---
I would only agree that a symbolic clock is as nourishing to the intellect as a photograph of oxygen to a drowning man.
#19Phil_ReschPosted 5/11/2013 1:49:08 AM
vorpal_raddish posted...
Too many long cast spells. You're better off only using one 3rd tier sorcerer spell, or they'll hardly ever get anything off in battle. I also suggest not putting any BBI skill rings on your pawn, because Grand spells take forever to cast.

I use High Frigor, High Ingle, High Levin/ High Bolide, High Miasma, High Voidspell

That's exactly the setup I had until a couple of days ago. Give Gicel and Fulmination a chance though, their casting time it's a bit longer but the upgrade is well worth it, IMO. Fulmination works wonders in BBI, in those narrow corridors.

vorpal_raddish posted...
Pretty sure wrymking ring does work on rentals btw. I'm pretty sure I've noticed a significant difference anyway.

Yeah, it works if you give one to your hired pawns. But if you give it to your pawn, and your pawn gets rented, the other user won't find the Wyrmking's Ring on the pawn, because it's not an item you equip but an item you just keep into the inventory. That's the point.
#20vorpal_raddishPosted 5/11/2013 2:31:48 AM(edited)
Phil_Resch posted...
That's exactly the setup I had until a couple of days ago. Give Gicel and Fulmination a chance though, their casting time it's a bit longer but the upgrade is well worth it, IMO. Fulmination works wonders in BBI, in those narrow corridors.

I actually used gicel for most of my playthroughs. I really liked it and only recently switched when I noticed my MP was getting consistently out-dps'd in the ice department by a very aggressive support mage spamming frigor.

I've tested fulmination out in vanilla and was very impressed with its super-high DPS potential, but disliked its flaws. I suppose I should conduct another test with it in BBI to be sure.

I'd say any one of those top 3rd tier spells is a must, but never any more than one. Bolide and fulmination are pretty much interchangeable in that set-up. If OP went with gicel instead I'd suggest losing frigor and swapping it out for something quicker.

All 3 mirror with other sorcerers too, which is a bonus.

Phil_Resch posted...
Yeah, it works if you give one to your hired pawns. But if you give it to your pawn, and your pawn gets rented, the other user won't find the Wyrmking's Ring on the pawn, because it's not an item you equip but an item you just keep into the inventory. That's the point.

Ah, I see where you're coming from. Yeah.

I have back-up wyrmking rings saved for my support pawns for just that reason.