A theory about the dragons

#1NephanduPosted 5/15/2013 6:49:10 PM
One thing I noticed with the three kinds of dragons:

* Drakes (red fire ones) seem to rely more on raw power. They never use magic. Also they seem weaker to magic rather than melee.

* Wyrms (blue ice ones) seem to rely, instead, mostly on magic attacks. They seem way more vulnerable to attacks based on strenght than magic.

* Wyverns (blue thunder ones) seem to fly a lot (which is a kind of dodging). They also seem to use magic and raw force in about equal parts. They dont seem particularly weak to one kind of damage.

My theory is that each one of these dragons were from previous Arisen`s that were of a said vocation. Drakes were made from Warrior/Fighter types, Wyrms seem to be made from Mage/Sorcerer types. Lastly, Wyverns seem to be made off Ranged classes (which would explain why they like to keep their distance) or hybrid ones (why they like to use magic). In particular, I feel them to be akin to Magic Archers, which is interesting since the only magick bow with an element you get in the game (Tempest) is exactly a Thunder one.

Also, in Post-game, you can visit the 3 new dragons that spawn in the map. Between the three, the Drake seems by far the most "brutish" and a bit ignorant of why he`s a dragon now, beside filled with rage. They Wyvern seems also a bit ignorant of his fate, but he`s more "polite" and cool than the drake. The wyrm of the watergod`s altar, on the other hand, is quite "classy" and very knowledgeable, understanding what has happened to him fully, likely due to higher INT (common to mages/sorcerers, in theory).
---
PSN: C_H_Oliver / Pawn: Brazen / Lv100`s Ranger / Challenger & Mitigator
Are you a man? Or dragon? Or something else? ~ Frostwyrm
#2IllnesssssPosted 5/15/2013 7:50:08 PM
Wow that's interesting...
---
"When the shades of night are falling...comes a fellow everyone knows."
"It's the old dope peddler...spreading joy wherever he goes."
#3Mark_Fury_Posted 5/15/2013 8:09:00 PM
Cool theory on the backstory. I think your experience with how the dragons behave might change a bit the more you fight them, though. Or, perhaps, the dragons use different tactics against different enemies.

I've seen Drakes use Ingle quite a bit and of course possession. Also, the Wyvern/Wyrm both take heavy damage if you open up Comestion directly under them.
---
PSN: Mark_Fury_
PAWN: Panthro | <150 | Strider
#4ShortietheshortPosted 5/15/2013 8:10:11 PM
This theory was posted a while ago (a year) on the old DD boards. Another thing that may supplement this here is the relation between the vocation colors and the kin colors. Because the wyvern doesn't cleanly fit as a vocation, he is green instead of yellow.
---
Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis is a terrible disease, Beware!!!
#5Sephivengeance9Posted 5/15/2013 8:12:04 PM
I'm under the impression that the lesser Dragon-kin are people that had the willpower/capacity to become Arisen, but for whatever reason didn't actually become an Arisen before whatever happened to them happened and they became Dragon-kin. But, that's the way I see it.
---
My Agent Hunt vids.
http://tinyurl.com/caoo5f3
#6HonooNoYariPosted 5/15/2013 10:47:25 PM
Very good theory! So far I've been thinking the same thing about these guys. The Drake is the tank, the Wyrm is the spellcaster (the guy can use Sorcerer's High Exequy and Mage's Anyodyne spells btw) and the Wyvern is the ranged attacker. Never really looked at it from their unique dialogues though.
---
PSN ID: ggn83
Dragon's Dogma Pawns: Past - Diandra, Current: Guts
#7god_of_dragon_Posted 5/15/2013 11:03:22 PM
Mark_Fury_ posted...
Cool theory on the backstory. I think your experience with how the dragons behave might change a bit the more you fight them, though. Or, perhaps, the dragons use different tactics against different enemies.

I've seen Drakes use Ingle quite a bit and of course possession. Also, the Wyvern/Wyrm both take heavy damage if you open up Comestion directly under them.

Drakes never cast ingle or any other forn of magic, only fire breath. If you've been hit by fireballs while fighting one, it might be BBI's firedrake with hellhounds battle (the latter being the ones shooting the fireballs)..

POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT

Also there's a theory about dragonkin and possession. Since it's safe to assume they were arisens before, and how arisens have the will to summon and command pawns, dragonkin may have the power to "forcefully enter a pact with the pawn" with their own volition turned into a "magic".
---
PSN: CHIGE23
Alt PSN: Rothwind
#8GodsPoisonPosted 5/16/2013 8:52:30 AM
It was my understanding that the various Dragon Kin were Arisens who failed before reaching Grigori and were thusly transformed into Lesser forms of Dragons similar to how if you manage to defeat Grigori but fall during the battle with the Seneschal you are transformed into Grigori. That was what i thought happened, and it makes sense considering your not the only Arisen in the world.
#9enjelsamaPosted 5/16/2013 10:13:12 AM
GodsPoison posted...
It was my understanding that the various Dragon Kin were Arisens who failed before reaching Grigori and were thusly transformed into Lesser forms of Dragons similar to how if you manage to defeat Grigori but fall during the battle with the Seneschal you are transformed into Grigori. That was what i thought happened, and it makes sense considering your not the only Arisen in the world.

Thats general conseus. (cept the Grigori part) You form Red Dragon if A Red Dragon is needed. (not Grigori)
If by chance, you happen to be Arisen who called Dragon to world cause you had "will" But Senechal did not want to be repalced, you would assume you take form of lesser instead. Or Take form of Lesser if you didnt even make it to Senechal.
Or just held onto intill called upon.

Red Dragon is just empty vessel killing machine intill your awaken within by someone with the will etc. . So we now Know Grigori was likly arisen himself, and is not the only enity to be inside Red Dragon. (as One girl (name escapes me) also took form of Red Dragon and started whole Dark Arisen thing.

Which is cool on itself, cause Griogri whole speech makes sense in a new light knowing he saying stuff, and he inside with no control. Adds a sadness to him.
---
Mmmm Choco Cookies
*Insert Cat Gif Here*
#10Nephandu(Topic Creator)Posted 5/16/2013 11:27:39 AM
GodsPoison posted...

No, that`s not how it happens.

If Im right, the lesser dragon kin are the ones who, when offered the option to go forth in that tunnel killing/leaving your known ones behind, decide to retreat instead.

If you do reach the Seneschal and do battle with him in earnest, and then you fail, you become a Grigori. At least that`s my understanding of the difference between the lesser dragons and grigori.
---
PSN: C_H_Oliver / Pawn: Brazen / Lv100`s Ranger / Challenger & Mitigator
Are you a man? Or dragon? Or something else? ~ Frostwyrm