Assassin optimization

#1TheMcKnightMarePosted 8/20/2013 5:14:43 PM
If the end goal is to be a well rounded assassin.. What's the optimal vocation level path, skills, etc. in your opinion?

I've started as strider (I can start over if necessary)
---
PSN: TheMcKnightMare - Twitter: @TheMcKnightmare
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/MR6tlIJ.jpg[/IMG]
#2TheDarkRosePosted 8/20/2013 5:57:09 PM
Define well rounded? and optimal? Because optimal would be 4600+stam 950+ str and thats all, goal being to deal as much physical damage as possible while dodging. Also means you cannot play any magic classes since you get about 260 magic stat only but you can rock any physical class... It's attained by doing fighter 1-10, assassin 11-200

Now a well rounded char that can do any class very well yet doesnt have "top damage" would be more 600 str 600 mag 3600 health and 3900 stamina and is achieved though 1-10 fighter 11-87 assassin and 88-200 sorceror. ultimately the best all around but doesn't leave much room for error and I found those last 114 levels as a sorceror dreadful... But the end result is really nice. You litterally excel at everything since the 350 stat difference between this and a pure str/mag build doesnt show that much at high end bbi gear and your weakness are also covered by the gear(defence/magic defence/health) and your forced ability to dodge and avoid/block/counter enemies' attacks ^_^

But both those are best for second/third playthroughs as like I said, the last levels were dreadful to me so that kind of breaks the purpose of the game and makes it less enjoyable(unless you end up liking the class in which case all the better for you ^_^) if it's your first playthrough I'd just mess around and play whichever class you feel like! at worst you can always just rush through with better gear with a new char if you dont like your end results!(or do like me and make multiple accounts just to have different chars... >_< My very first was the hybrid and I must say the other two don't come close even though leveling as assassin is way more fun to me)
---
TheDarkRose | Amdusius | Nyx | 200 | Sorcerer
TheDarkRose | Ishtar-Deela/IshtarDeela | Asmodeus/Hecate | 121/35 | Warrior
#3SSJPabsPosted 8/20/2013 6:05:47 PM(edited)
Well I am currently splitting a warrior/assassin path for a physical build with 3800 HP 4300 Stamina and 900 attack. Since the assassin is supposed to be a hybrid between melee and range physical I consider a well rounded one to be one based on physical stats. I felt going pure assassin was just not giving me enough HP, and the assassin gets to wear a lot of cool armor. Fashion Souls has nothing on DD.

I am using a excel stat planner created by Jonexe found here:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/626515-/63079692

I've found it's accurate in terms of stats so far. You might find it useful too.
---
I used to have an account in 2002, but Gamefaqs ate it.
#4TheDarkRosePosted 8/20/2013 6:06:27 PM
Quick correction!!

1-10 fghter, 11-86 assassin sorry, my bad! as soon as you hit level 10 you have to either be in gran soren to switch or go to cassardis at night to talk to olga(on the peer) to let you get to bbi where she can change your class and then again at 86 you switch to sorceror.
---
#5asmodean333Posted 8/20/2013 9:11:11 PM
I made my assassin back in vanilla DD when Heaven's Key was the go to blade against the hardest boss. So I mixed him up a bit so that he can take advantage of having a higher magic stat. I went 1-10 fighter, 10-55 sorcerer, 55-100 assassin, 100-200 mystic knight. He is very well rounded off in terms of str, mag and survivability. I have no problems soloing everything even now that I switched to DA and going through BBI. Though credit for that goes to ManufacturedOpinion on that build.
---
PSN: Asmodean3
Arisen: Azentalis (200 Assassin) | Pawn: Wolfgar | Lvl 200 | Fighter
#6TheMcKnightMare(Topic Creator)Posted 8/21/2013 4:43:46 AM
TheDarkRose posted...
Define well rounded? and optimal? Because optimal would be 4600+stam 950+ str and thats all, goal being to deal as much physical damage as possible while dodging. Also means you cannot play any magic classes since you get about 260 magic stat only but you can rock any physical class... It's attained by doing fighter 1-10, assassin 11-200

Now a well rounded char that can do any class very well yet doesnt have "top damage" would be more 600 str 600 mag 3600 health and 3900 stamina and is achieved though 1-10 fighter 11-87 assassin and 88-200 sorceror. ultimately the best all around but doesn't leave much room for error and I found those last 114 levels as a sorceror dreadful... But the end result is really nice. You litterally excel at everything since the 350 stat difference between this and a pure str/mag build doesnt show that much at high end bbi gear and your weakness are also covered by the gear(defence/magic defence/health) and your forced ability to dodge and avoid/block/counter enemies' attacks ^_^

But both those are best for second/third playthroughs as like I said, the last levels were dreadful to me so that kind of breaks the purpose of the game and makes it less enjoyable(unless you end up liking the class in which case all the better for you ^_^) if it's your first playthrough I'd just mess around and play whichever class you feel like! at worst you can always just rush through with better gear with a new char if you dont like your end results!(or do like me and make multiple accounts just to have different chars... >_< My very first was the hybrid and I must say the other two don't come close even though leveling as assassin is way more fun to me)

So if I weren't interested in magic.. Would the fighter 1-10, assassin 11-200 be a good way to go? Or do you pretty much NEED magic?
---
#7asmodean333Posted 8/21/2013 5:47:42 AM
You don't absolutely have to have it no. It helps with some mobs like the Spectral family and living armors. Spectrals are the phantoms, phantasms, specters and wraiths. They can't be hurt by physical attacks at all so either having pawns around who do do magic kill them or have them enchant your weaps (or have elemental weaps on you) to hit them...which will take awhile to kill since you don't have a magic stat (enchantments will work off of your magic not strength). Living armors for the first half of its health can take physical damage and then it will break. Once it's broken it can only be hurt by magic. So as before you will be doing little damage to it while you wait for your pawns to kill it for you. Most mobs have an elemental weakness so having a bit of magic combined with enchanted weaps to that element will knock them down even faster...though in that case having a high amount of strength can compensate for the lack of magic anyway. Really it comes down to your play style. If you like having pawns along with you then no you don't need magic and going 1-10 fighter then 11-200 assassin is great. Personally as an assassin I like to go solo (assassin's get augments that affect them if they have no pawns with them) so having a magic stat and being able to survive more than 1 hit helps.
---
PSN: Asmodean3
Arisen: Azentalis (200 Assassin) | Pawn: Wolfgar | Lvl 200 | Fighter
#8TheMcKnightMare(Topic Creator)Posted 8/21/2013 7:04:40 AM
asmodean333 posted...
You don't absolutely have to have it no. It helps with some mobs like the Spectral family and living armors. Spectrals are the phantoms, phantasms, specters and wraiths. They can't be hurt by physical attacks at all so either having pawns around who do do magic kill them or have them enchant your weaps (or have elemental weaps on you) to hit them...which will take awhile to kill since you don't have a magic stat (enchantments will work off of your magic not strength). Living armors for the first half of its health can take physical damage and then it will break. Once it's broken it can only be hurt by magic. So as before you will be doing little damage to it while you wait for your pawns to kill it for you. Most mobs have an elemental weakness so having a bit of magic combined with enchanted weaps to that element will knock them down even faster...though in that case having a high amount of strength can compensate for the lack of magic anyway. Really it comes down to your play style. If you like having pawns along with you then no you don't need magic and going 1-10 fighter then 11-200 assassin is great. Personally as an assassin I like to go solo (assassin's get augments that affect them if they have no pawns with them) so having a magic stat and being able to survive more than 1 hit helps.

So the assassin path you suggested earlier would be more advantageous soloing? (which I plan on doing quite a bit of)... I'm also now leaning towards that now because the idea of depending completely on pawns to defeat enemies is unattractive
---
#9TheDarkRosePosted 8/21/2013 9:39:21 AM
TheMcKnightMare posted...
asmodean333 posted...

So the assassin path you suggested earlier would be more advantageous soloing? (which I plan on doing quite a bit of)... I'm also now leaning towards that now because the idea of depending completely on pawns to defeat enemies is unattractive

Going solo in dark arisen is mehish since they debuffed the buff and now it's 20% instead of 50... Most immunes are in bbi so before then you won't see much of a difference(though elemental attacks are always nice!) I personally like seeing my pawn do some killing once in a while and since these aren't too frequently occurring fights it's not that bad if you want to be pure str. A good sorcerer pawn will do quick work of the armors second form(especially once it gets 3 stars knowledge of them) and will one shot specters and the likes so its not that big a deal if you don't do magic... But it does indeed help to be hybridized.

also a good reason to keep pawns is they can carry stuff for you and you won't be overemcombered as easily and as such can move faster. But yeah ultimately I'd say 600-600 is the best since you can solo and do any vocation at will(that and you can use magic weapons to deal with immunes efficiently even as a physical class!)
---
#10Iczer 1Posted 8/21/2013 9:44:14 AM
The Assassin is great at soloing (only having some problems with ghosts and Living Armors, like asmodean said), BUT is also an amazing team player because it has such an easy time inflicting status ailments (w/ Rusted Bow especially) and is great at manipulating targets with it's unrivaled speed for hit and run tactics.

Definitely go with a max STR build. No need for a higher than basic MAG stat, and high DEF/HP stats aren't very important for an Assassin either since the class is so good at moving/dodging that you'll only need to be able to take 1-2 hits as a safety measure. And even with a max STR build, you can still reach 1100+ PDEF and 800+ MDEF for solid protection. Having a stamina of 4600+ is great, it allows for a very dynamic playstyle.

Daggers + bow is the most powerful and versatile weapon combination. I HIGHLY recommend using Gale/Tempest Harness as your 1st priority skill, and i also can't praise Instant Reset enough (the most broken skill almost no one uses). The earlier one starts getting used to using those skills the better. Both (esp. in conjunction) grant the Assassin a huge mobility boost + will make your bread and butter skills (Hundred/Thousand Kisses + Fivefold Flurry) even better.

Try to get the Opportunism augment as soon as possible. The Assassin is the best at climbing foes (w/ Harness + Kisses), the extra x1.2 damage boost will make a difference.
---
read me a poem