Is it possible to transfer gear

#1DitchingWorkPosted 8/21/2013 11:31:15 AM
I need some advice on how to proceed with this unfortunate situation I'm in. This is a long thread, but please be patient as I really need some advice on what I should do.

I think my "fat" PS3 is about to kick the bucket. I've had it since the first Christmas that it was available, so I can't complain too much (even if it can rival a 747 for noise output!).

Last night it repeatedly froze up on me while I was playing DD:DA. The first time that it did this it was actually a couple of nights ago and it was during an auto-save. When it first did it last night, it was the same thing, mostly. I was starting in on the fight where you kill the two wights during the second to last quest, and the game was auto-saving at the point that it froze. It didn't something even more odd just prior to freezing, though - the complete dialog where the salvation lead-dog (I forget his name) was monologuing was completely quiet! I saw the text of the dialog on screen, but didn't hear his voice. Anyway, so I proceeded to reboot and tried to load my game again, and basically went through the same thing where the game eventually froze up again during an auto-save.

So after an hour and a half of messing with it (and figuring out that I'm an idiot because I have never backed up any of my save games), I gave up in frustration, realizing that I was probably screwed.

This morning I gave it a go again, just to see what it would do, and to my surprise I was able to finish up the second to last quest completely. However, when I tried to save the game on my own, unfortunately it froze on me again (or it just never returned out of the "Saving Content...", I forget which). In any case, I had to quit the game again while it was still "Saving Content...".

I then proceeded to create a new account, loaded up DA and started a new game, but unfortunately during the loading of the new game it froze-up on me again. It wasn't a hard freeze, as I was able to hit the PS button on my controller and quit the game, but I let it sit there for at least 5 minutes before giving up on it. So it seemed obvious to me that it was having some problem. My only point is here that a new game didn't even fix the problem, which indicates to me that it is not the disc and is likely a hardware failure (probably the harddrive).

All of this brings me to my point: Is there any way for me to somehow transfer all of my gear from my existing save into a new game (assuming that I buy a new PS3 and start a fresh game)? I'd already spent 120 hours on the game and had a number of DF'd weapons and armor from farming the Drake.

Thanks for the help and sorry for the overly long explanation. :)
#2decepticlownPosted 8/21/2013 12:24:34 PM
A) Make sure to back up your saves periodically to USB. Then, if you buy a new system and transfer your existing profile over, all you have to do is load the USB save file.

B) To transfer gear from one account to another, you'd have to friend both accounts and hire a pawn that's the appropriate vocation for the gear to be transferred. Then, you would hire that pawn and re-equip his items with the gear to be transferred before sending him back through the rift.

Hope that made sense.
#3DitchingWork(Topic Creator)Posted 8/21/2013 1:04:04 PM
Thanks!

I believe I do understand what you're explaining to do. It's just plain good to know that it is possible to do.

Thanks again!!
#4CineraryPosted 8/21/2013 1:20:35 PM
I was actually just having the same problem as you a few weeks ago:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/684236-dragons-dogma-dark-arisen/66944498

This was on my slim PS3 too, which I got in October. I had the same freezing problem when I tried loading my game, and it fortunately wasn't an issue since I always keep backups.

Here's how I fixed it - go into Game Data Utility (NOT Saved Data Utility) and delete the DD:DA install data (should be something like 4 or 5 gigs in size). This will also delete the patches. Now just start the game up again like normal, and download the patches. I think what this game does is installs while you're playing - you can see the HD light flashing for like half an hour or so even if you just stand there and do nothing. Just let the game install again and see what happens. I haven't had any issues whatsoever since I've done this, hopefully you won't either.

Unfortunately, I have no idea if this will fix your save or not, so good luck with that. Let me know if you get screwed and end up losing your save, I can hook you up with some gear.
---
PSN: SouthPhillySanta http://i.imgur.com/X6ju8.png http://i.imgur.com/CKORN0d.jpg
Yo homie...is that my briefcase?
#5decepticlownPosted 8/21/2013 2:12:12 PM
DitchingWork posted...
Thanks!

I believe I do understand what you're explaining to do. It's just plain good to know that it is possible to do.

Thanks again!!

No problem. Glad to help :)

You'll find this board is incredibly helpful for any questions you have in general.
#6DitchingWork(Topic Creator)Posted 8/21/2013 7:39:37 PM
Cinerary, I actually did delete the DA game data last night. I'd bumped into that suggestion elsewhere on the internet and so I thought I'd give it a try.

I had a few spare minutes earlier today to try loading up my game, and much to my pleasant surprise it worked. I was even able to save without having it freeze on me. So at this point I'm scratching my head and wondering what in the hell is going on. More than likely it's a symptom of a bigger problem and it'll keep occurring until I figure out what it is and fix it.