Anything I should know before I start playing?

#1VmodePosted 10/6/2013 10:21:56 AM
About to start playing for the first time, anything I should know? Not asking for super specific stuff, just things that made you go "Man, I wish someone had told me this before I started playing".

Like, say, "Don't get this skill, it's useless", "Watch out for this quest, the scripting is glitched", "Try and get this item early, it will really help you out".

Got anything like that?
---
"Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven" - extract from Paradise Lost (Book 1, Line 263)
#2KonaflarePosted 10/6/2013 10:37:02 AM
There was only one thing i wished I knew about befoe stumbling upon it - One of the earlyish main quests will send you to an area called The Shadow Fort. Be VERY careful around there as a small forest besides it contains a huge monster that will wreck you instantly.
---
Wolves hunt in packs!
PSN: Konaflare | DA Pawn: Ashe | Please give feedback if hired!
#3cyl26Posted 10/6/2013 11:15:28 AM(edited)
There are missable quests at certain points, but you can restart as many times as you please with all your gear/momey, so dont worry.

Some people like to min/max build by leveling certain jobs at different level stages. Doesnt really matter since you will destroy everything at max level.

Join the pawn sharing club thats here. You will need RC when you get to Bitterblack isles for the best gear. Might as well start early so you have pleanty for when you reach that point.
#4LeidolfValdPosted 10/6/2013 11:16:15 AM
Vmode posted...
About to start playing for the first time, anything I should know? Not asking for super specific stuff, just things that made you go "Man, I wish someone had told me this before I started playing".

Like, say, "Don't get this skill, it's useless", "Watch out for this quest, the scripting is glitched", "Try and get this item early, it will really help you out".

Got anything like that?

Let your pawn carry port crystals when u come cross any and place it on places that seems to be significant especially quest areas, it saves u from running around and wasting time. Accept all quest as there is no limitation in quest uptake and u might complete them to your surprise(they save your game after each quest completion too so I don't have to save it haha). And have fun in gransys
---
Psn: joe-17- | Ares nidhogg | fighter | level200 & Psn: yello-23- | Sophie | Sorcerer | level44
#5cjchartierPosted 10/6/2013 11:17:17 AM
Once you've gotten to the point where you've created your Main Pawn, post their information in the Official Pawn Sharing Club thread. There's also a link included in the first post there, where you can post your info to the OPSC Pawn spreadsheet.

Make sure your in-game connectivity settings are set to "online" and "anyone". This will allow other users to "rent" your pawn to use in their own game, and provide you access to others pawns as well. Most users in the club are very generous to newer players, and can really help make your life easier in the early going.

Have fun, and enjoy the game.
---
cjchartier/PSN: CChartier2/Pawn:Charlie/Lvl. 200/Strider (DA)
#6cjchartierPosted 10/6/2013 11:20:05 AM
Also, don't be afraid to ask questions. The people here are friendly, and always willing to help.
---
cjchartier/PSN: CChartier2/Pawn:Charlie/Lvl. 200/Strider (DA)
#7Vmode(Topic Creator)Posted 10/8/2013 10:01:45 AM
cjchartier posted...
Also, don't be afraid to ask questions. The people here are friendly, and always willing to help.

I'mma take you up on that.

I was wondering how to change class? I started out as a mage, but the game seems to hint at you being able to switch between classes, and I'd eventually like to try the "Climb something much bigger then you and chop of it's various bits" tactic (and that seems kind of hard to do with a staff that just seems to give 'em a light bruising..).
---
"Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven" - extract from Paradise Lost (Book 1, Line 263)
#8IctinikePosted 10/8/2013 10:36:18 AM
Vmode posted...
cjchartier posted...

I'mma take you up on that.

I was wondering how to change class? I started out as a mage, but the game seems to hint at you being able to switch between classes, and I'd eventually like to try the "Climb something much bigger then you and chop of it's various bits" tactic (and that seems kind of hard to do with a staff that just seems to give 'em a light bruising..).

You can change vocation (classes) at inns or other people at camps etc.
---
PSN: Ictinike | Pawn: Jenny level 35 sorc |
#9Vmode(Topic Creator)Posted 10/11/2013 12:27:10 PM
Allright, follow up question. When you get full vocation (I think that's the word they used) in one job, should you switch to another right away? Or is it better to stick with what you got?

Also, my main pawn is a fighter, could you recommend some good skills to put on her? My guy's a mage, so she handles most of the brawling.
---
#10the_requiemPosted 10/12/2013 2:09:17 AM
Vmode posted...
Allright, follow up question. When you get full vocation (I think that's the word they used) in one job, should you switch to another right away? Or is it better to stick with what you got?

Also, my main pawn is a fighter, could you recommend some good skills to put on her? My guy's a mage, so she handles most of the brawling.

Depends if you're going for specific build or not, if you want to try others or not.

Most folks switch vocations to get specific augments. e.g. There are some Level9 Warrior augments that increase STR. Take a look at this and see which ones fit your playstyle:

http://dragonsdogma.wikia.com/wiki/Augments

As for fighter, I only played as one briefly to up my PDEF and get augments, but think Blink Strike and Dragon's Maw [for i-frames] are a must. Many recommend Full Moon Slash too. I rarely used shields, but do plan to do so in another Spartan themed playthrough.

May I interest you in Assassin? You can use Shield/Swords *and* option to use Daggers/Bows. One of the best Sword skill is in Assassin tree - Dire Gouge, which might be only viable way to play BBI as Fighter.
---
DarkArisen : the_requiem | wreck_em | Nemo | 200 | Mage
the_requiem | wreck_gow | Arya | 150+ | Ranger