can someone compare this game to dark souls for me

#1infamousralphstPosted 11/18/2013 9:39:36 PM
I love dark souls. Everything about it. But I've played it too long and its losing appeal. I hear great things about this game but I also hear bad things. For example this pawn thing. I hear for some areas you are basically ONLY just running around reviving your pawns. That doesn't sound appealing to me. Can someone explain to me this game. How it defers from the first in the series. The combat system And how the online works. Thanks in advance. I know this is a lot to ask. I really appreciate any feedback.
I know you havea great following. I wanna hear it from devout players.
---
My debts will always be repaid. Once for any simple trade. Twice for freely given aid. Thrice for any insults made.
#2infamousralphst(Topic Creator)Posted 11/18/2013 9:42:35 PM
Also I would like to point out that I am not a fan of cut scenes. I really don't care about stories. If the cut scenes are short and are crucial for the game I will watch them. I don't want a final fantasy game with hours upon hours of cut scenes though.
---
My debts will always be repaid. Once for any simple trade. Twice for freely given aid. Thrice for any insults made.
#3FaytSeaxionPosted 11/19/2013 12:47:25 AM
You are looking at cut scenes lasting minutes at a time, all of which are skip-able, and most of them are intriguing and full of action.

As for the pawns thing, youll only end up reviving them a ton if you go into post game areas with level 6 pawns. Just update them like you would your equipment, and always keep a healer, maybe 2 if youre having trouble.
#4BusterDudePosted 11/19/2013 1:16:39 AM
If you loved Dark Souls, then you'll probably like Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen. Both games are similar in some regards (RPG elements, combat, difficulty in some areas) but Dragon's Dogma is overall different from DrkS. Though both games use an open world structure, DrkS's open world is presented in multi-layered interconnected levels while DD:DA is mainly on a single open plane with various notable areas. Story progression in DD:DA is quest based and relatively more straight forward then DrkS. You're given a specific objective from accepting a quest and then you go do it basically. In order to move on in the story, you need to complete Main Quests. These can be put on hold if you want in order to do other side quests. Btw there are A LOT of side quests in this game so there's plenty to do. Each quest gives some kind of reward.

Both games use a equipment crafting/upgrade system. imo I find Dark Souls to be little more in depth in this regard compared to DD:DA but DD:DA doesn't disappoint. When it comes to upgrading weapons and armor, DD:DA is a bit similar to Monster Hunter. When fighting enemies/monsters, you can break off parts of those enemies or monsters for upgrading purposes. The combat system in Dragon's Dogma:Dark Arisen is quite solid and is probably the main highlight of the game. It's basically a hack n slash that's fluid and and easy to get the hang of. During combat, you have access to skills/abilities/magic that can be quick selected for easy access.

The online component of the game is pretty much the pawn system. When you start the game, you get to create your main character and your main pawn which is basically a permanent party member. DD:DA allows for a party of up to 4 members. You and your main pawn make up half of the party while the other half is composed of support pawns. Support pawns are other players' main pawns. These support pawns must be hired in order to join the party. The stronger the pawn, the more it will cost to hire them. If you go online while playing the game, your pawn will appear in the Rift (the place where pawns can be hired) or around Gransys and can be accessed by other players as a support pawn. By getting your pawn hired by other players, you can receive rewards such as RC (Rift crystals, which is one of the types of currency in the game. The other is gold) or items and equipment.

The rate in which your pawns are constantly dying and having to be revived varies depending on what area you are currently in. Because DD:DA is an open world type of game, you can easily find yourself in an area that is beyond what you can handle. Dragon's Dogma:Dark Arisen is similar to Dark Souls in this regard. If you enter a place that is too difficult, you can just leave it, go level up and get better gear then return and try again. The beginning of the game may be a bit difficult since you're new to the game and quite weak. But once you get the hang of things, the game will start to pick up and become more fun.

Don't worry about cutscenes. They're pretty short and there aren't that many of them in the game. Also, there isn't much of a story in Dragon's Dogma, it's pretty abysmal. Kind of a long response but I hope that it answered your questions. If you have any more questions or need help feel free to ask, the people on this bored are pretty cool and would be more than happy to oblige.
---
Dark Arisen | PSN: ExenBlaze | Pawn: Aria (level 135) Ranger | Mitigator/Challenger
#5tehheadPosted 11/19/2013 2:39:42 AM
Lore wise:
DkS & DD:DA are as terrible in story execution, but equally good lore wise
Btw, final boss (obviously teh dragon) is the most epic dragon boss fight in history of gaming, making gwyn looks too subtle

Gameplay wise:
This game somewhat similar in KIngdom heart in gameplay mechanic, enemies appear pre-destined area, & sometime, they appear suddenly when games lags, the combat is closer to devil may cry (old, not new), but no lock on
This game has class to, each class can make your gameplay change completely, but 3 class is pretty much the main
Warrior is a tank & strong fighter
Strider is a fast fighter with ranged weapon
Mage is a ranged fighter with support skills

Those are base, there 4 more for you to play with, each has their own benefit/weakness & play style

Music:
By DD:DA, these are as good as dark souls
#6enjelsamaPosted 11/19/2013 7:33:44 AM
tehhead posted...
Lore wise:
DkS & DD:DA are as terrible in story execution, but equally good lore wise
Btw, final boss (obviously teh dragon) is the most epic dragon boss fight in history of gaming, making gwyn looks too subtle

Gameplay wise:
This game somewhat similar in KIngdom heart in gameplay mechanic, enemies appear pre-destined area, & sometime, they appear suddenly when games lags, the combat is closer to devil may cry (old, not new), but no lock on
This game has class to, each class can make your gameplay change completely, but 3 class is pretty much the main
Warrior is a tank & strong fighter
Strider is a fast fighter with ranged weapon
Mage is a ranged fighter with support skills

Those are base, there 4 more for you to play with, each has their own benefit/weakness & play style

Music:
By DD:DA, these are as good as dark souls

I agree with Lore part, You pretty much have keep talking to npc's are looking in right spots, or read comics to now deep down lore, but isn't required.
Story is pretty straight forward, cut scene short. And ones you need watch are good enough to go yay, but never long and crazy.

As for Pawns dieing.. some obviously didn't know how to play. Or manage there Pawns. -_-'

Diffcutly, DD is hard then Dark Souls in ceratin ways we wish Darks Souls was that hard.
Unlike DKS however, howver, you canplay as what ever, and have little worry for getting best gear or upgrades, or even stats.
Little to no punishment for playing how you want. By lv 100 you'll be over powered to basic game no matter stat build. And insanely over powered by lv200 max.

Which is also a draw back to game, enemies do not level, and new game+ does not get harder. So once your past lv50.. its gonna be easy in many areas.
But its reward is Hard Mode, new character or even lv40 will get 1 shot.
And DLC area BBI, where lv200's go, and cry and die. XD

I've never thought dks was hard,(demon sousl spoiled me) but BBI makes DKs a cake walk.
---
Mmmm Choco Cookies
Capcom Moderator: Yuffie
#7infamousralphst(Topic Creator)Posted 11/19/2013 11:08:49 AM
Awesome thanks everyone. This really helped. I really want a great melee game. I tried skyrim and it was terrible. Same thing with dragon age. I just couldn't freely control my characters. R1 mashing as I tank hits doesn't feel right and tbh gets rather boring. This is the exact problem I find with assassins creed. Uncharted had potential but the melee wasn't great and the any shooter after call of duty looks pathetic by comparison. I prefer action games. Wandering around exploring with nobody getting in my way gets old.
I wish they would make a final fantasy like crisis core on an actual system.
I kind of ranted there for a sec. My bad. I will definitely give this a shot. Gonna take back skyrim and dragon age to get this.
I read that you can import your save file from the first game. Would you guys recommend I get the first one or just dive into this? I don't want be starting over powered so if you recommended getting the first one, should I or shouldn't I import my character?
Final question, thank you for bearing with me, I read that the first and second games are surprisingly similar. That some of the dungeon layouts are almost exactly the same with the exception of an extra or different locked door. Is that true?
Thanks you guys so much. I really do appreciate this. Im really hoping this will be the next game I seriously get into.
---
#8the_requiemPosted 11/19/2013 11:24:21 AM
Okay, Dark Arisen is NOT the second game. Think of it like Ultimate Edition and an Expansion pack rolled into one. It is basically Dragon's Dogma + All the DLC + Dark Arisen Expansion. Just coz Dark Arisen was never released as an add-on expansion people tend to get confused.

A better analogy:

Dragons Dogma = Dark Souls
Dragons Dogma Dark Arisen = Dark Souls Prepare To Die Edition.

Only difference being there is no Artorias of the Abyss equivalent DLC that owners of base game can download to get the same complete experience.
---
DarkArisen : the_requiem | wreck_em | Nemo | 200 | Fighter
the_requiem | wreck_gow | Arya | 51 | Ranger
#9RedRocket204Posted 11/21/2013 12:26:06 AM
TC,

Feels like everything you asked was coming from my mouth. Some helpful and promising info in this thread for a DD:DA newb. I'm a big souls fan and have about 2-3 hours on DD:DA...very pleased so far. Pawns have their moments but seems for a newb, pawns are required and helpful.

Great thread.

BTW, It's scratching that burnt out souls itch
---
"Bring back the U.S.S.R., we need that motivation"
#10EnigmaDurzoPosted 11/22/2013 6:45:39 AM
Dark Souls:
-Hidden story
-high punishment for stupidity
-Darker tone
-More difficult in most ways
-Combat is Simple and leans toward more realistic fighting (meh in my opinion)

Dogma:
-Not so hidden hidden story, but has a twist here and there. Mostly the ending though.
-Not very punishing even on hard mode. Its just a stat increase. BBI is easy if you take advantage of the entire dungeons weakness to a particular element. If the entire game was like BBI then I would consider it harder and MUCH more enjoyable than Dark Souls. ,<----a little biased on that last part cause i really like that dungeon.
-Lighter tone for the most part.
-Broken difficulty you can easy grind out of (Not a fan. If the level cap was like 50 then I would be happy)
-Combat is somewhat simple but leans toward more artsy kinda of combat (which I like)

Overall: Both games suck so much that you must play through and platinum both........Twice.
---
PSN: Durzo0715