Trouble with Death as a Sorcerer.

#21AlbinoCrocodilePosted 1/10/2014 3:04:02 AM
If people want to say Death is a she, who are you to tell them not to? Shut the hell up and move on with your life, stop trying to force others to abide by your view.
---
Don't let me upset you too much, dearest. You don't have to be afraid to admit I'm right and you're wrong.
#22shawnmckPosted 1/10/2014 9:52:02 AM
Death is a male arisen....it is written about in one of the descriptions...
http://dragonsdogma.wikia.com/wiki/Death

Quote:
"Speculation suggests that Death is the twisted form of Arthacos, an Arisen driven insane by loneliness and the unending labyrinth of Bitterblack Isle.
Arthacos, in his insanity, came to believe that his duty as an Arisen was to offer one-thousand human sacrifices to appease the Dragon's destructive nature in order to save his country from calamity. He continues his vigil still.
Arthacos' accounts can be found in the form of ten epitaphs scattered through the isle.
Many of the noticeboard quests, specifically The Wages of Death I through IV, seem to also be written by Arthacos (this would imply that even after becoming Death, he still retains his original mind). When Death searches for the Arisen in the darkness, the whispering voice that drove him to madness can be heard."
#23shawnmckPosted 1/10/2014 9:58:05 AM(edited)
And fighting Death as a melee character has its disadvantages, as you run the risk of being put to sleep, or even getting hit by his scythe, which is an instant one-hit kill.

I'm not suggesting that you shouldn't, just that there are advantages and disadvantages to fighting death, depending on class and strategy.

Also, in case you haven't noticed (or if you did, then forgive)...but if you light the braziers of blue flame when death is near, he will take some damage.
That is, if you fight him in the sewer level that has them. And this may not help in New game +, since he will be more random.
#24ArchiantagonistPosted 1/10/2014 10:10:24 AM
AlbinoCrocodile posted...
If people want to say Death is a she, who are you to tell them not to? Shut the hell up and move on with your life, stop trying to force others to abide by your view.

+1

shawnmck posted...
And fighting Death as a melee character has its disadvantages, as you run the risk of being put to sleep, or even getting hit by his scythe, which is an instant one-hit kill

Actually, every single class except for mage and sorcerer, has MOI skills
that allows player to avoid Death's OHKO attack altogether
[roll for dagger wielding classes; Exodus Slash for Warrior;
Full Moon Slash for Fighter/Assassin/MK; Fighter also has Dragon's Maw]

And sleep status affects not only melee chars.
Ranged attackers simply has significantly lower risk of getting inflicted with it.
It all depends on where and when Death will decide to pay you a visit

Also, in case you haven't noticed (or if you did, then forgive)...but if you light the braziers of blue flame when death is near, he will take some damage.
That is, if you fight him in the sewer level that has them. And this may not help in New game +, since he will be more random.

You obv meant Post-Daimon...
---
--------------------x_0--------------------
#25shawnmckPosted 1/10/2014 10:14:24 AM(edited)
Archiantagonist posted...

shawnmck posted

You obv meant Post-Daimon...

^ Yes I did, and thanks for the correction.
:)
#26shawnmckPosted 1/10/2014 10:20:03 AM
BTW
Speaking about Death...
I am left to conclude (guess) that Death was actually an assassin-class arisen, since the accounts say that he was an arisen that traveled alone, which is an assassin trait. Which makes sense, since Death is wearing all black and cloaked in shadow.
#27ArchiantagonistPosted 1/10/2014 10:36:31 AM
shawnmck posted...
BTW
Speaking about Death...
I am left to conclude (guess) that Death was actually an assassin-class arisen, since the accounts say that he was an arisen that traveled alone, which is an assassin trait. Which makes sense, since Death is wearing all black and cloaked in shadow.

Well, unless he just tossed his pawns off the cliff like everyone's doing these days))
You can only assume what kind of Arisen Arthacos was...
I mean, Duke Edmun was [and technically still is] Arisen too
[I still wonder what is it that scum achieved, that Dragon decided that his rotten heart worth bothering with]

On the other hand, Death loves her lantern so much, she might be a Ranger just as easy
---
#28S0nYxdbPosted 1/10/2014 2:14:03 PM

[I still wonder what is it that scum achieved, that Dragon decided that his rotten heart worth bothering with]

Um didn't you follow the story at all? If you sacrifice your loved one then the dragon leaves.
---
PSN: ManongJose Dragon's Dogma DA pawn Sorcerer Nanoha lvl 200 PSN: MangJavs pawn Strider Mikasa lvl 160
#29shawnmckPosted 1/10/2014 2:22:07 PM(edited)
S0nYxdb posted...

Um didn't you follow the story at all? If you sacrifice your loved one then the dragon leaves.

^ In all fairness, the game can leave this a bit questionable, depending on your actions.
For example, on my first play-through I ended up having Caxton as the NPC with the greatest affinity towards my character (male), and so the game made the decision for me based on nothing but giving Caxton the gold idol to complete a quest. So the game used Caxton as my "loved one", when he wasn't.
And I was wondering WTF he was doing in my game during that fateful decision too...lol

So yeah, you are 100% correct...but the game doesn't necessarily make it abundantly clear.
I mean it does, but there are ways to screw it up. Which is ultimately the fault of the player.
#30ArchiantagonistPosted 1/10/2014 2:32:24 PM
S0nYxdb posted...

That's not what I'm talking about...

The choice to leave or fight is a conclusion.
I'm talking about the very beginning of the story - getting your heart stolen
and becoming the...you know - Arisen.

So if you completed the game, then you know that Dragon chooses Arisen
for the role of Seneschal and supposedly the one should have strong will to succeed.

Now, my question was - did Edmun really made such an impression on the Dragon that day
or the Dragon was in a bad shape and just wanted to get over it ASAP and quickly go home?

---