Strider better than assassin or ranger in terms of dagger/bow combo?

#1Shadow-KhajiitPosted 1/8/2014 9:42:17 PM
Here's my top 3 reasons why striders the better character.

1. Most balanced attack attack/defense
allows for the most adverse gameplay, the defense is strong enough to get in there with the daggers and not be afraid to exchange some blows while the offense is still good enough to sit back and wreak havoc with the bow. (only bow increasing augment needed is trajectory - the bow is accurate enough even while moving - plus mighty bend increases range and accuracy for those long shots)

2. Leaping stone/mad dash
leaping stone is easily one of my favorite abilities in the game and exclusive to the strider. Nothing is more pleasing than to be able to quickly and easily jump up to a cyclops's head in one fluid move and start hundred kisssing its brains out with minimal stamina exhaustion. Mad dash is also exclusive but not as useful. I just like to get around the map faster (pressing y at the end of the dash turns it into a sliding kick). Hundred kisses is the only real offensive dagger move you need really with the core skills.

3. Doesn't feel overpowered in any category
perfect for experienced gamers who enjoy challenging themselves

Reasons why ranger/assassin didn't make the cut.
The rangers bow is soooo powerful while there defense is the one of the lowest - find myself too temped to just sit back and spam arrows. definitely a character for people not looking for an interesting fight IMO - don't get me wrong, I enjoyed playing as the most lethal long range fighter for awhile.
and the assassin.. lets face it, its just too OP with invulnerability?! invisibility shouldn't come with invulnerability, i guess its perfect for players looking for a solo run

had to post this because i haven't seen any previous discussions defend this amazing class.
what I use: Daggers - Hundred Kisses, Mad Dash, Leaping Stone
Bow - Fivefold Flurry, Fracture Dart, Mighty Bend
Augments: Trajectory, Leg-strength, Proficiency, Vehemence, Clout, Ferocity (would trade ferocity for Blood-lust and other things when relevent)

I would be amazed if you could change my mind. By all means, go ahead and try
#2KarmikazzeePosted 1/8/2014 9:52:07 PM
What works for you is what's important. I will say though regarding your statements about defence etc, the smart way to build any character is to combine the best from other vocations for their stats & augments. I play as a ranger(Mainly because I can take out Death in one turn), but I have great defence, good magic defence & awesome attack. Just because you want to play one vocation doesn't mean you shouldn't grab what's good from others while leveling up. Many people play as magic archers but if you build as one your stats will be pretty sad when you reach 200.
---
PSN: Karmikazee / Whynot! lvl 200 sorcerer Dark Arisen
PSN: Karmislazee / Jazz B'caz lvl 86 ranger Dark Arisen
#3Shadow-Khajiit(Topic Creator)Posted 1/8/2014 10:01:56 PM
thats kinda sad magic archers have to play as other classes just because their stat gain sucks/ playing the other classes for the augments is obvious
#4shawnmckPosted 1/8/2014 10:03:30 PM
^ That is good to know.

Mainly, I play as various builds...simply because I want to change things up every now & then.
I've already maxed out Fighter, Warrior, Ranger, Mystic Knight, Magic Archer...and am about half-way there with Assassin & Sorcerer.
I generally never like using magic builds in any game, but the spells in DD are pretty fun.

I doubt I will ever use a Strider or a Mage, since that is what I have my main pawn as.

But can I ask....If I level up as a Mage and gain the anodyne (healing) spell as a mage...can I then use the spell (anodyne) when I am a sorcerer ?
I ask because I noticed some spells carry over, but am not sure as to what extent.
#5Shadow-Khajiit(Topic Creator)Posted 1/8/2014 10:06:12 PM
Healing is Mage exlusive
#6Shadow-Khajiit(Topic Creator)Posted 1/8/2014 10:06:51 PM
exclusive*
#7shawnmckPosted 1/8/2014 10:24:11 PM
Thanks
#8Shadow-Khajiit(Topic Creator)Posted 1/8/2014 10:27:32 PM
Karmikazzee posted...
What works for you is what's important. I will say though regarding your statements about defence etc, the smart way to build any character is to combine the best from other vocations for their stats & augments. I play as a ranger(Mainly because I can take out Death in one turn), but I have great defence, good magic defence & awesome attack. Just because you want to play one vocation doesn't mean you shouldn't grab what's good from others while leveling up. Many people play as magic archers but if you build as one your stats will be pretty sad when you reach 200.

but yes your right.. it all depends on what you wanna do and how you wanna play and through the stat building and aug sharing you can make a ranger with good defense that could use daggers effectively. i just felt the urge to point out some unique ranger abilities cause i've read a lot of blogs talking about how the other classes make the strider pointless.. thats all, and everything i said is purely opinion based. thanks for the post
#9tritiumrainPosted 1/8/2014 10:29:25 PM
I agree. My arisen have been Assassin most of the time, but lately I have been using them as Strider more often and I like it way better than Assassin.

Soaring Stone + Brain Splitter combo is just amazing!
Hailstorm Volley and Fracture Dart makes quick work of large enemies.
Thousand Kisses when you want to make something dead.
Terrible Bend and Implicate when you just want to have fun trolling baddies. =)
---
PSN: KunXXoichi [Kunoichi - Fighter Lv60] http://i.imgur.com/0jIW6Vg.jpg
PSN: tritiumrain [Koara - Ranger Lv200] , PSN: Hit-GirlDD [Hit-Girl - Strider Lv200]
#10Shadow-Khajiit(Topic Creator)Posted 1/8/2014 10:32:57 PM
tritiumrain posted...
I agree. My arisen have been Assassin most of the time, but lately I have been using them as Strider more often and I like it way better than Assassin.

Soaring Stone + Brain Splitter combo is just amazing!
Hailstorm Volley and Fracture Dart makes quick work of large enemies.
Thousand Kisses when you want to make something dead.
Terrible Bend and Implicate when you just want to have fun trolling baddies. =)

haha awesome!! thanks for the post