Just got the game and loving it but...

#1FaithInAllPosted 1/10/2014 12:55:44 PM
I am completely lost. Should I be exploring every inch of the map for goodies? I just arrived at the capital and geared my crew out. I'm around lvl19 as I've done some exploring already but everything literally one shots me and it's frustrating as all hell. My current "main" quest is along the lines of finding a pawn guild or somewhere along those lines.
---
Gt/PSN/Steam: Vyeren
http://i.imgur.com/dWKzxAk.jpg
#2drclaeysPosted 1/10/2014 1:06:24 PM
Friends,

You have to remember things to not scale to you. they are at a set level. So make slots of saves, but try to find quests that go in areas that you have been before, dont treck half way accross the map. There will be time, with like 10 more levels, you can go anywhere you want just about. But big things, try to run around them.

You do know how to run right???? Its just plan logic... if you see something that weights like 3 tons, and has 3 heads, and if breathing Fire...and you have a small little sword... you might want to RUNNNNNN. Just like in real life.

This game is hard for everyone. Thats why I play on easy. also more good news, with new game plus, you can import your character and your pawn, and your old level. with all there stuff. So you might have a hard time now in your first game, but your second you will rock.

PS. also make some friends with some high level pawns, in case you have a tough fight, you can drop back, and get a little tougher team. Dont do this always, but it might get you past a tough fight.

Enjoy.
---
Dr. Darrell of Michigan
Got a Xbox a few days ago, Now playing: Tales of Vesperia. . . . . . . . . US Economy lost 24 Billion, Blame the Republicans.
#3xSilentKhaosxPosted 1/10/2014 1:52:51 PM
At level 19 I would say no, not yet. Take care of your pawn guild quest and level up some. If you don't have a mage or sorcerer in your party to enchant your weapon, then that will make the game harder than it needs to be for low level players. Just saying.

I would say try to upgrade your equipment as much as possible until you level up more, and hire a magic user for enchantment if you don't already have one.

If you're feeling ballsy though, you can go to either The Ancient Quarry or The Ruins of Heavenspeak Fort. I don't know what vocation you are, but you have a chance of finding some good swords, daggers or bows depending on which area you go to. The enemies there will be strong, but if you ignore them and go straight for the chests, you can leave with good gear.

If that interests you, you can check out the wiki for info on the chest locations and what gear you could get from them. Because if you didn't already know this, chest loot changes. There could be one of multiple possible items in most chests in this game.
#4FaithInAll(Topic Creator)Posted 1/10/2014 2:08:56 PM
xSilentKhaosx posted...
At level 19 I would say no, not yet. Take care of your pawn guild quest and level up some. If you don't have a mage or sorcerer in your party to enchant your weapon, then that will make the game harder than it needs to be for low level players. Just saying.

I would say try to upgrade your equipment as much as possible until you level up more, and hire a magic user for enchantment if you don't already have one.

If you're feeling ballsy though, you can go to either The Ancient Quarry or The Ruins of Heavenspeak Fort. I don't know what vocation you are, but you have a chance of finding some good swords, daggers or bows depending on which area you go to. The enemies there will be strong, but if you ignore them and go straight for the chests, you can leave with good gear.

If that interests you, you can check out the wiki for info on the chest locations and what gear you could get from them. Because if you didn't already know this, chest loot changes. There could be one of multiple possible items in most chests in this game.

I am an assassin with a sorcerer pawn. I also have a mage pawn that I recruited since the sorcerer doesn't heal I think. I just have have the urge to want to explore the rest of the map but I guess I'll go back and do the guild quest and just go from here.
---
#5Merc123Posted 1/10/2014 3:11:28 PM
I am a level 177 Magic Archer, so i will try to give some tips that helped me.

The biggest advice i can give is make sure you run away if you are in over your head. That alone has saved me in the early game more times than you would think. Also don't get in over your head. If you see a Drake in the distance don't fight it at level 20.

Probably would be a good idea to try and level some vocations and get augments. Depending on your class other classes can give you augments to help you. I play a Magic Archer but use augments from both Sorcerer and Mage to buff my magic stat.

Focus on getting better gear too, levels make a different but i think Gear can make an ever bigger difference.

For me i felt weak until about level 25 or so, took down my first Ogre around that time, i was a Strider. After that things started clicking for me. It was still tough going sometimes but i didn't feel as weak as i felt in the early game after that. I did have a really powerful Sorcerer that a friend loaned me though that was alot higher than me, i used her until i surpassed her level.
---
3DS FC 1719-3711-0721
Gamertag - Brokeslimjim v3 / PSN - Brokeslimjim
#6shawnmckPosted 1/10/2014 3:23:31 PM
FaithInAll posted...
I am completely lost. Should I be exploring every inch of the map for goodies? I just arrived at the capital and geared my crew out. I'm around lvl19 as I've done some exploring already but everything literally one shots me and it's frustrating as all hell. My current "main" quest is along the lines of finding a pawn guild or somewhere along those lines.

^ Initially, you should not try to explore every inch of the map, other than to explore the areas in your current vicinity...as the game will eventually give you quests that take place in all the other regions...so there is no real reason to explore every inch of the map until you get a quest that sends you to the general area. And even then, you don't have to explore every inch, because some areas contain tough mini-bosses that might be too powerful for your current level, so you might want to hold off exploring some areas until you've leveled up some, and then return to it later.
There are plenty of quests, so the game will send you back to the same locations throughout the game.

For now, take things slow, as you are still trying to learn the ins & outs of the game. As you level up, the game will become a bit easier over time.

Whatever you do, do NOT explore the BitterBlack isle.
The game allows you to travel there early on, but it should not even be attempted until around level 65++.
But in order to get this alternate area, you have to visit the woman on the pier in Cassardis at night...and if you accept her quest, she will transport you to the BB isle, which is extremely hard (even for level 75+ characters).

Also, here is a link to a Dragon's Dogma wiki site, that has all the information you could need...
http://dragonsdogma.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon%27s_Dogma_Wiki
#7FaithInAll(Topic Creator)Posted 1/10/2014 3:54:56 PM
shawnmck posted...
FaithInAll posted...

^ Initially, you should not try to explore every inch of the map, other than to explore the areas in your current vicinity...as the game will eventually give you quests that take place in all the other regions...so there is no real reason to explore every inch of the map until you get a quest that sends you to the general area. And even then, you don't have to explore every inch, because some areas contain tough mini-bosses that might be too powerful for your current level, so you might want to hold off exploring some areas until you've leveled up some, and then return to it later.
There are plenty of quests, so the game will send you back to the same locations throughout the game.

For now, take things slow, as you are still trying to learn the ins & outs of the game. As you level up, the game will become a bit easier over time.

Whatever you do, do NOT explore the BitterBlack isle.
The game allows you to travel there early on, but it should not even be attempted until around level 65++.
But in order to get this alternate area, you have to visit the woman on the pier in Cassardis at night...and if you accept her quest, she will transport you to the BB isle, which is extremely hard (even for level 75+ characters).

Also, here is a link to a Dragon's Dogma wiki site, that has all the information you could need...
http://dragonsdogma.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon%27s_Dogma_Wiki

Thanks, the area I'm caught exploring was a giant field next to a beach and castle I think with lizardmen, bandits, and a chimera that caught me by surprise. Someone suggested to make friends with a high level pawn, should I be doing that? Currently I only have my main pawn and some random pawn I picked out to heal and I remember reading something about getting less exp if you recruit a pawn higher leveled than you. Also recruiting higher leveled pawns cost a lot...
---
#8xSilentKhaosxPosted 1/10/2014 4:03:18 PM
Yeah I read about an exp penalty too.
And about the rift crystals, the bigger the level gap between you, the more it costs unless that pawns user is on your friends list. Then it's free.

I personally find that less fun though. My friend has a level 112 sorcerer and she wrecks everything. Takes the fun out of the game for me.
#9imitebjoePosted 1/10/2014 4:05:24 PM
sounds like you in the south west, by aernst castle

them bandits gave me alot of trouble when i was starting out xD

imo, if you want to explore do so, but just save often, so you can reload and just dodge whatever killed you

part of the fun in these kinds of games is wondering around and getting killed by random giant monsters

and yes, hiring a pawn that is higher level then you reduces the exp you will gain, but if you want to get a high level pawn anyways, get someone who has a high level pawn to add you as a friend then their pawn is free to hire
---
Teo - 2466-1772-9333, Dunsparce-Minccino-Chansey
PM me for an add I tend to leave boards
#10shawnmckPosted 1/10/2014 4:22:02 PM(edited)
^^^ A few things TC...

I'm not sure which area you are in, but it sounds like you are in the Southern-West part of the map, which I can't say is appropriate, because I don't know what level you are or how far into the story you are...but it doesn't sound like you should be there yet.

Also, are you traveling during the night ?
The game gets considerably harder at night, and you will face more tougher enemies, including more mini-bosses. Its recommended that you camp somewhere, or travel to a camp-site or city to rest until morning. It is not recommended to travel the world map by night. It is meant more for a challenge to players that want a challenge.

As for pawns...
You should be having 4- in your party. That is you, plus your main (created) pawn, and two other expendable pawns. Pawns only cost if you get them higher than your current level, but if you hire them at or below your current level, then they cost you absolutely nothing. Unless you are playing On-line, and rent someone else's pawn, then I don't know the requirements for that. But generally, pawns don't cost you anything if you get them at your level or lower.
Also, if you are still early in the game, then I recommend you get a full party of 4. You are just making the game harder for yourself by sticking with less.
And you can hire more by entering a rift stone, which can be found in various locations (inside Cassardis, Gran-Soren guild, encampment area, etc).

Also about pawns...make sure that you hire pawns that augment your weaknesses. You basically want a melee class, bow class, and a magic class...then whatever you want. But hire your pawns based on what you are lacking based on what class (vocation) you are, and that of your main pawn. And it is recommended that you swap out the two-expendable pawns as you level up every so often, otherwise they will become obsolete, as the expendable ones do not level up.
Also, you can always change your class (vocation) any time you want at certain locations (encampment, Gran-soren inn, a few other places), and you can also change your main pawn's class as well. And then select your expendable pawns accordingly.
I recommend that you have a Mage class that has the anodyne spell so that you will be healed as you take damage. At least until you get accustomed to the game and have really good gear. But a mage with the anodyne spell will keep you healed.

You really don't need to be making friends with pawns that are higher than your level, unless you want to. Its optional. They tend to be tougher, but they cost. But as long as you have a party of 4 (you and 3-pawns), then you really shouldn't need to hire pawns above your level (unless you want to). And again, make sure that you have a Mage class in your party (either you, your main pawn, or one of the other pawns), so that they can heal you with the anodyne spell. But if you select pawns in the rift, then you will have to scroll through their options to check if they have the skills or spells you want. If not, then keep looking. You can select the search conditions, so it isn't hard.

As for experience...your experience is largely shared, so when any of your pawns kill something, then it goes towards your overall experience as well...so I wouldn't worry about it.
Technically, you do gain a bit more exp with less pawns, but so early in the game it shouldn't matter. And even later on, it doesn't matter all that much, because you will make it up eventually.
My advice would be to stick with a party of 4 (including self), until you have leveled up considerably and have decent gear.
If you find the game becoming too easy, only then should you consider dropping one of your pawns and traveling forth as a group of 3 (or even 2).