I have just bought this game (Digital version)

#1Jrx1Posted 4/21/2013 1:09:13 PM
But i have no clue how to play Vanguard. I watched every Anime episode up-to-date though.

Will this game help me learn something? :P
---
Official Arceus of the Pokemon X and Y boards
~The God of Pokemon!~
#2akwan_tarotPosted 4/21/2013 6:59:33 PM
The question is, can you read Japanese? If you can, the in-game tutorials should be enough to teach you the basics.

If not, still, the anime should have taught you most of how to play. If you need, go and read the official English docs.
#3lambchipsPosted 4/21/2013 8:49:58 PM
go watch tutorials on youtube... thats how i usually learn to play new cards
---
i7 3820@ 3.60GHz| 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz DDR3| Gigabyte GTX670 2GB OC| Intel 520 Series 120GB SSD| Antec EarthWatts 750W Green
#4PeckingBirdPosted 4/21/2013 10:23:12 PM
It's pretty simple. First, you draw 5 cards. Always make sure you have at least one Grade 1, 2, 3 of each. If you have any triggers in your hand, mulligan them back in. Triggers are important when drive checking or damage checking, since they are your key cards to victory. The entire phase is draw phase, ride phase, main phase, battle phase and then end phase.

You just make sure you ride gradually from Grade 0 to Grade 3 each turn. You can't guard with Grade 1 and above in the Guardian Circle if your VG is Grade 0. In other word, you can't guard VG with cards that has 1 grade higher than your VG. You can only drive check once when your VG is Grade 0-2, but you can drive check twice when your VG is Grade 3.

You can only call out units that is of same Grade or lower than your VG.

If your VG total power backup by your booster is equal or more than the power of the opponent VG, then your attack goes through and he/she receives damage. Let says your opponent VG of total power 24000 is attacking your 10000 VG. 24000-10000 is 14000. So that means you need 15000 shield to guard against the player. But WAIT, you have to factor in the drive check too. If the opponent drives check a trigger, he/she will add +5000 power to the VG and the attack will go through. So you either guard 20000 shield for 2 to pass, or 25000 for no pass if you think the opponent might be daring to pull the all triggers into VG if his/her first check is a trigger.

Now let talk about triggers. There are draw trigger, heal trigger, stand trigger and critical trigger. It's really simple. If you drive check or damage check the draw trigger, you can draw a card, then you apply the +5000 power to either your VG or any of your RG. Heal trigger is to heal your damage zone, but note that you can only heal if your damage zone is equal or more than the opponent's damage zone. Stand trigger and critical trigger are important when you are drive checking, not when you are damage checking. If you put stand trigger, always attack with your RG first, then your VG. So if you drive check the stand trigger, you can choose the rest RG and make it stand, then you make your RG attack again. Now critical trigger is really frightening. If the opponent no guard, and you drive check the critical trigger, you can apply the critical trigger to your VG, giving it a total of 2 critical, then your opponent would take 2 damages. Of course if your opponent guard for 2 to pass, and your first check is a critical trigger, if you are uncomfortable of giving it all to your VG, since you aren't sure if your next check is a trigger too, you can give the critical and power to your RG to pressure your opponent to guard again.

There are 2 ways to win. Anyone who reaches 6 damages or deck out lose. It's really simple. Hope this help.
---
Shadow Trixie
#5EdalborezPosted 4/22/2013 6:48:06 AM
http://cf-vanguard.com/en/howto/

Playbook and/or Starter Guide should be enough for you for now. Shouldn't need to read comprehensive rules. A lot of it should make sense since you've watched the anime.
#6Jrx1(Topic Creator)Posted 4/22/2013 9:11:16 AM(edited)
Thanks, i'll try to analyze the guides and all of your posts. And no, i can't read Japanese =P.

And yeah, after watching the anime most of the keyphrases and rules are more clear to me than to a regular beginner, so that really helps.
---
~The God of Pokemon!~
#7Jrx1(Topic Creator)Posted 4/22/2013 1:18:00 PM(edited)
UPDATE !!!

I have managed to defeat Morikawa on my second try (After reading the guide). It really helped! Soon i'm going to continue my RtV adventure. Leon Soryu, i'm coming.
---
~The God of Pokemon!~
#8MatrazetoPosted 4/29/2013 4:29:46 AM
watch the first 5 ep's again, know how to play
#9Nightstar1994Posted 5/2/2013 11:36:52 AM
I have a basic question though. How many of Grade 0s, 1s, 2s and 3s should i have in my deck? I'm trying to make Shadow Paladin themed. I just don't know how should i group between the grades.

Of course i'm not going to be like Morikawa and build deck on all Grade 3s though xD
#10MechaCrashPosted 5/2/2013 1:16:13 PM
The generally accepted number is 17 G0 (since sixteen triggers are mandatory), 14 G1, 11 G2, 8 G3. Ride chains like the kind Blaster Dark uses let you screw around with that ratio a bit, though. My Shadow Paladin deck only has nine G2s, because I can use Blaster Javelin to find one of my two Blaster Darks. And if I don't ride the Dark, it's not that big a deal, since Phantom Blaster Dragon is kind of crap. I only have one in my deck for emergencies, it's mostly built around Ildona.
---
pLaY 2 kRuSh!