Way too hard

#1gws0891Posted 3/22/2013 8:02:25 PM
I know the first response to this thread is going to be along the lines of "No it's not it's SO EASY"

Please don't bother. This game is hard as hell. It is easily the most difficult platformer I have played in many many years. I'm actually not enjoying it at all despite the nice graphics and sound.

We're talking about a difficulty level that is way worse than early 8 bit platformers that I grew up playing. And like every other modern game the devs make up for the lack of balanced gameplay by just giving you unlimited lives to continue from the last checkpoint, which is every 3 feet or so. So you will spend the bulk of your time dying and reloading from a checkpoint and then dying literally a second and a half later,over and over again.

I know some people love that style of gameplay and if that includes you, then go for it and purchase this game. But if you're not looking for a BRUTALLY difficult platformer with sloppy and confusing controls they you should give this one a pass. You need the reflexes of a cheetah and the neuroplasticity of an infant to map this insanely counter-intuitive control scheme to your brain. Chances are that if you're older than mid to late teens you've passed the critical period of brain development during which you'd actually be able to master this control scheme.
#2teehee23Posted 3/23/2013 12:05:03 PM
I've only played a half dozen stages, and it's definitely getting difficult, but what it offers in charm and uniqueness makes it a worthwhile purchase. Hopefully I will keep those feelings as the game progresses and I don't feel the urge to break controllers.
---
Don't hate us because we're beautiful...
#3Alfred_QPosted 3/23/2013 3:57:46 PM(edited)
Its a hard game, I only got the game today and got to stage 1-5 and got stuck in a wall. I have died many many times. Dont get me wrong i love it so far but its pretty hardcore, I am going to keep trying. I am 30 years old (:
---
Gamertag: Alfred Saxon
STG GT: Alfred Saxon JP
#4the36thchamberPosted 3/24/2013 5:28:28 PM
is it the controls that make it hard?i was going to buy it but i dont want to be fighting against hard controls in an already hard game
---
CUT!
GT-xNinjaScrollx
#5sshadow5002Posted 3/24/2013 7:15:47 PM
The controls are weird in the sense that you have the right trigger to change character but you can also perform the twins technique in order to switch them who h without practice can get you killed.

With practice it becomes easier but it's definitely weird at first. Try the Demo to get a good feel for what the full game will be like.
---
A 2006 study concluded that 82% of people who don't know what they're talking about use false statistics.
#6teehee23Posted 3/24/2013 8:04:52 PM
I changed the world-switch control to manual instead of auto-change in the Options.
I don't regret the purchase but I won't ever be able to complete it. :(
---
Don't hate us because we're beautiful...
#7gokuKOGPosted 3/25/2013 4:24:42 AM
What is a use of a stupid game if your kids cannot even play it. I bought it specially for my kids and now all they can do are a few starting levels that is all. Stupid game.
---
I...WON'T LET YOU...GET AWAY...WITH THISSSSS.........
#8gws0891(Topic Creator)Posted 3/25/2013 9:27:25 AM
teehee23 posted...
I've only played a half dozen stages, and it's definitely getting difficult, but what it offers in charm and uniqueness makes it a worthwhile purchase. Hopefully I will keep those feelings as the game progresses and I don't feel the urge to break controllers.

I played it up until Hansel and Gretel and took a break. That break has been a few days now . . . basically when I posted this thread.

is it the controls that make it hard?i was going to buy it but i dont want to be fighting against hard controls in an already hard game

The controls and punishing gameplay. One hit from anything kills you. If you have that magical barrier thing powerup, you can take two hits before you die (kind of like Super Mario and the mushroom). But that it's it.

I found the first boss fight to be insanely difficult, partly because you die so easily, but partly because the boss fight is just really long because you can not directly damage it, you have to use the world switching mechanic to trigger this spikey thing, and that can only really be done like once every minute or two, when the boss is in a certain pose. The rest of the time you have to dodge it continuously and of course if you get hit you are dead and start over.

A lot of things make it difficult but the world switch mechanic is a tough one to wrap your head around. I mean it makes sense in theory but in practice you are tracking an awful lot of goings on at one time. . . the position of your character, the world in which the obstacle / platform you are looking at must appear in, the world in which you can perform the move you need to do to reach it, etc. You find yourself knowing exactly what you need to do but confound it all you pressed the wrong damn button again, for like the tenth time in a row.
#9gws0891(Topic Creator)Posted 3/25/2013 9:36:27 AM
gokuKOG posted...
What is a use of a stupid game if your kids cannot even play it. I bought it specially for my kids and now all they can do are a few starting levels that is all. Stupid game.

I bought it for my kids too, but then decided I could help them out and play through some parts, and then thought better of it the minute expletives started issuing forth and the urge to smash my expensive tv set in.

We all played through Trine 1 and 2 together and while some parts felt cheap we beat them without much difficulty and in general it was fun as most of the time you are actually solving a puzzle. In GS:TD you kind of know what you need to do right away, it's just that your brain will not execute the complex sequence of moves and such that are required. It's really a mind bending gameplay mechanic and even though that's not a bad thing (Braid) the difficulty of this game makes it really punishing and not a lot of fun.

I mean a simple 3 or 6 hit life bar would have gone a LONG way to making this game more enjoyable than the 1-hit-and-you're-dead mechanic. It would have made the game seem much more balanced. You could press through some areas and replay them later for a better performance and to reach more gems. Or you wouldn't have to play through the same area 100 times because the heuristic nature of solving the platforming challenges means you are undoubtedly going to die multiple times between every checkpoint. You might only need to run through an area a few times before getting it right. It would alleviate the feeling that 99% of the challenge in this game comes from wrapping your brain around the control scheme, even halfway through the game.
#10Gaming_Pal_TEJPosted 3/28/2013 7:12:00 PM
after replaying classic nes mega man and ninja gaiden these past few weeks, the way you describe this game makes me want it even more.
---
Hooah!