Playing it Now

#1hapychknPosted 2/7/2013 12:45:37 AM
Starts out just like the PS1 game...

As soon as I exited my village, something struck me... There's a TERRIBLE amount of pop-up in the game. Trees just pop into existence all over the place. It's really distracting. As bad as the pop-up in Saturn games (Daytona, I'm looking at you).

After you go to the castle, things get a little remixed. There's no running back to your town and back to the castle again. The whole beginning has been shortened to speed things along.

I'm at the ruins now. That whole dungeon is different, with a completely new layout and puzzles.

Now I know I just started, but the whole thing feels a bit... Rushed? The 3D isn't that great, especially compared to the depth in games such as Animal Crossing: New Leaf and Fantasy Life. I *almost* feel like I had a better time with the PS version at this point, but it's waaaaaay early. I haven't even had any combat yet. BUT at this point in the game DQ9 felt more polished.

At the game store, DQ7 was all anyone was buying. When I approached the counter, the lady working there said "Dragon Quest, right?" I didn't even have to say anything.
#2Locke90Posted 2/7/2013 1:10:06 AM
hapychkn posted...
Starts out just like the PS1 game...

As soon as I exited my village, something struck me... There's a TERRIBLE amount of pop-up in the game. Trees just pop into existence all over the place. It's really distracting. As bad as the pop-up in Saturn games (Daytona, I'm looking at you).

After you go to the castle, things get a little remixed. There's no running back to your town and back to the castle again. The whole beginning has been shortened to speed things along.

I'm at the ruins now. That whole dungeon is different, with a completely new layout and puzzles.

Now I know I just started, but the whole thing feels a bit... Rushed? The 3D isn't that great, especially compared to the depth in games such as Animal Crossing: New Leaf and Fantasy Life. I *almost* feel like I had a better time with the PS version at this point, but it's waaaaaay early. I haven't even had any combat yet. BUT at this point in the game DQ9 felt more polished.

At the game store, DQ7 was all anyone was buying. When I approached the counter, the lady working there said "Dragon Quest, right?" I didn't even have to say anything.

what store ?
---
Arguing with a lore whore is like banging your head against a wall.
#3hapychkn(Topic Creator)Posted 2/7/2013 1:14:02 AM
I live in Japan. So the 3rd closest game store to me. On sale for $56.00 (5200).
#4unwashed_massesPosted 2/7/2013 2:29:45 AM(edited)
Yeah, I watched Kouli's videos. The way the equipment statues just show up in the first screen is kind of weird, and that green flying guy kind of ruins the atmosphere that place had. I mean the whole idea was you were traversing this giant ruin together and it was kind of mysterious. It's sort of like just completely removing the suspense from a scene and then adding a weird character that shouldn't be there.

Otherwise, I have to say the overworld (or what very little is shown) is really pretty. I am fairly unfazed by most graphics issues, but that tree thing *is* pretty sloppy. Trees that close should not be just popping into existence.

Right now I'm starting to feel like the excitedness I had is wearing off a little, lol. I'm a little worried about what other sorts of changes will be made.
#5steven_mj1Posted 2/7/2013 2:53:53 AM
Yeah the pop ups looked bad from the videos

Maybe they should have gone for a more traditional world map (like the panorama one used in PS2 DQ5); 3D graphics isn't ArtePiazza's forte
#6moogle69Posted 2/7/2013 3:30:42 AM
The trees popping up sounds like an nit pick and I have seen koulis video.
---
3DSXL FC: 0087-3600-6980, PSP/PS3 PSN ID: snoteat01 WIIU ID: Chaosking
Currently playing: Xenoblade, SMG2, Dissidia012, Radiant H, TOTA3DS, R&CHD, OkamiHD
#7steven_mj1Posted 2/7/2013 3:43:11 AM
It is not really nitpicking because the 3DS is capable of more; this isn't a DS game
#8mickachuPosted 2/7/2013 4:23:26 AM
I really like the new world map, it really brings a "grand adventure" feeling (and that music !!!). The trees-popup is pretty bad but it doesn't ruin the experience at all for me.
#9hapychkn(Topic Creator)Posted 2/7/2013 5:04:47 AM
I think the problem with the tree pop is that it feels so unpolished, especially when compared to the obvious amount of time they spent on combat.

The combat animations and backgrounds are brilliantly beautiful. That's what makes the tree thing feel lazy. I've even been able to get some NPCs to pop in and out just by getting them close to the edge of the screen. Not even off screen and the program stops rendering them. That screams lazy and goes hand in hand with the trees.

On the first island now and I just can't help but feel they could have do e a better job with the trees and fog (very N64-ish).

Loving the music and combat, though.

Who knows, maybe they'll do a pop-up patch.
#10MelodiaPosted 2/7/2013 12:02:55 PM
I'm guessing the music is fully orchestrated?

I'm guessing from the second recording with the Tokyo Metropolitan Symphony?
---
Always Remember, Green Hair Is Cool.