DQ Veteran Question. How does is stack up against the greatness of VIII?

#1Scaccia101Posted 2/7/2013 11:38:07 PM
Wish I live in Japan at the moment just to get my mitts on new Dragon Quest. Ahh man love Dragon Quest. Just beat the crap out of VIII again last week because ever since I heard about this game i have been craving new Dragon Quest. So I beat V, VI, and IX. Great games, V especially.

How does this game fair against, one of the best (maybe the best), Dragon Quest VIII?
#2ErugiosPosted 2/8/2013 12:17:47 AM
I'm in the minority that thinks DQVIII is kind of a let down, especially coming from a gameplay perspective. The only thing I thought was an improvement was the aesthetics. Dat world map/towns. Everything else was a downgrade, from the character customization to the story itself.

Dragon Quest VII has much better game play. The class system here is fantastic with lots of variety and choices. It was basically the sum of every Dragon Quest ever made at that point.

As for the story, some people say its too long for its own good. I personally LOVE the episodic nature of the plot. It definitely has the best town stories in the series.
---
"One of these days, I'm gonna find a loophole my friend." - Man in Black
#3steven_mj1Posted 2/8/2013 2:22:12 AM
8 is good but I really think outside of aesthetics it is a step back from 6 & 7 - I think 9 has better gameplay too

7 has the best stories and variety in the entire series
#4TiaelPosted 2/8/2013 3:34:48 AM(edited)
Erugios posted...
I'm in the minority that thinks DQVIII is kind of a let down, especially coming from a gameplay perspective. The only thing I thought was an improvement was the aesthetics. Dat world map/towns. Everything else was a downgrade, from the character customization to the story itself.

Dragon Quest VII has much better game play. The class system here is fantastic with lots of variety and choices. It was basically the sum of every Dragon Quest ever made at that point.

As for the story, some people say its too long for its own good. I personally LOVE the episodic nature of the plot. It definitely has the best town stories in the series.

This right here, I could hug you.

Don't get me wrong, DQVIII is fantastic, but I'd rank it below DQVII (my favorite game of all time), DQV, DQVI and DQIII.
---
Playing: Ni no Kuni - Captain Whamtastic http://i.imgur.com/IVH6BX0.jpg
Dragon Quest>Ys>SMT>Tales>Final Fantasy, but I enjoy all five. Da Bears!
#5DragoonGriffithPosted 2/8/2013 5:51:25 AM
DQVIII has a great world, exploration and all that, but DQVII's story and customization kick its ass IMO.
---
Waiting for: Tales of Xillia 2
#6Sword_of_DuskPosted 2/8/2013 7:39:51 AM
Tiael posted...
Erugios posted...

This right here, I could hug you.

Don't get me wrong, DQVIII is fantastic, but I'd rank it below DQVII (my favorite game of all time), DQV, DQVI and DQIII.

Have to agree here, although DQVIII still ranks above III for me.
---
"The angels have the phone box".
#7EnclavePosted 2/8/2013 1:11:25 PM
I just wish the 3DS was region free. If it was I'd have told my friend who is currently visiting Japan to grab me a copy.
---
The commercial says that Church isn't for perfect people, I guess that's why I'm an Atheist.
#8Scaccia101(Topic Creator)Posted 2/8/2013 2:01:39 PM
after reading your comments I seriously can't wait for this game. With Nintendo's track record of bring portable DQ games to America I'm almost 100% it will be localized. They'd be dumb not to release it over seas.
#9EnclavePosted 2/8/2013 3:41:33 PM
Scaccia101 posted...
after reading your comments I seriously can't wait for this game. With Nintendo's track record of bring portable DQ games to America I'm almost 100% it will be localized. They'd be dumb not to release it over seas.

The main issue with localising the game is just how big of a job it would be. Anybody who's played Dragon Warrior VII on the Playstation knows what I'm talking about. While I do think odds are decent that it'll be localised I'm still nervous since I want this game BADLY (probably want this more than most people on this board). I just know how big of a job it'll be to localise it.
---
The commercial says that Church isn't for perfect people, I guess that's why I'm an Atheist.
#10Taishi Ci CCRPosted 2/9/2013 3:21:10 AM
DWVII > ALL. I can't believe you would ask to compare to to the greatness (lol) of DQVIII. DWVII is the very definition of EPIC.
---
Dave Mustaine for President.
Yes, Metal is fake.