DQ Veteran Question. How does is stack up against the greatness of VIII?

#21VeghEstherPosted 2/15/2013 9:57:23 AM
Well even with Ultra hit abuse the extra str boost may still increase its damage but on the PS1 version I used Summoners to abuse it at 10 MP per use over 20.

But I hated DQ8 because of the must gain SP levels similar to the star ocean games to learn skills and even then the game doesn't give you enough SP buy level 99 to max out all 6 abilities at once.
#22Then00bAvengerPosted 2/15/2013 10:15:56 AM
Last time I played I didn't even make it to Ultra Hit before I cleared the game. Yeah it's broken but unless you grind to hell you won't even be seeing it until the final dungeon and later. (Sword Dance is the real culprit if you want to talk about broken since that can be learned easily enough mid-game)

That was actually my main problem with DQ7. The game is over 80 hours long but after those 80 hours, you might not even have enough jobs mastered to start into the top tier of jobs unless you grind .DQ6 didn't have that problem and it was only half as long.

The remake seems to have fixed that anyway.
---
A refusal of praise is a desire to be praised twice.
#23VeghEstherPosted 2/15/2013 10:22:05 AM
I always grinded for jobs so end of game (or even end of disc 1) I had most of the human jobs mastered BUT do even do that I had to be at levels below 15 for the dharma temple boss fights.
#24QuinnotetiquanPosted 2/15/2013 11:09:03 PM
VeghEsther posted...
Well even with Ultra hit abuse the extra str boost may still increase its damage but on the PS1 version I used Summoners to abuse it at 10 MP per use over 20.

But I hated DQ8 because of the must gain SP levels similar to the star ocean games to learn skills and even then the game doesn't give you enough SP buy level 99 to max out all 6 abilities at once.

Elven Elixirs were in 7 right?

The only way not having enough Sp to max out everything can hurt you is it you dont know what your doing or what skills to go for. But yeah you do kinda have to plan out what your gonna do. Only reason to max out everything is to be a completionist or see all the graphics (The latter can be done through youtube)
#25VeghEstherPosted 2/15/2013 11:16:43 PM
No the Elven Elixers did not exist in the PS1 version of Dragon Quest 7 at all.
#26Cheesepower5Posted 2/16/2013 1:21:33 PM
You could max out everything in DQ8, I just sincerely doubt anyone has since that would require farming Seeds of Skill for like 800 hours.
---
Official Naga Raja of the SMT IV board.
Currently playing: Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
#27QuinnotetiquanPosted 2/17/2013 1:18:18 AM
yeah i gave up doing that after a few tries. It got to the point where he would die from the damage before anything was actually stolen. I even went and bought a crappy scythe. Average was about 3 seeds per 2 hours.
#28PojoTheChickenPosted 2/21/2013 4:36:32 PM
I enjoyed 8, but like people have mentioned...it was a big step back gameplay-wise, and I was really disappointed by that. The world and characters were all fun and neat, but the most important aspect for me was just completely eviscerated.
#29QuinnotetiquanPosted 2/22/2013 6:06:41 AM
You mean the class system? DQ7s class system is pretty unbalanced even though i still enjoy it.

Honestly I didnt mind getting rid of it too much with 8. It was a step in the right direction with Skill Points and different trees and stuff balance wise. I just wish they had separated it from Leveling up.
#30LhunthangionPosted 3/3/2013 2:45:50 PM
Scaccia101 posted...
after reading your comments I seriously can't wait for this game. With Nintendo's track record of bring portable DQ games to America I'm almost 100% it will be localized. They'd be dumb not to release it over seas.

^This.
---
I AM ERROR.