Are the camp segments in Story Mode really necessary?

#1KuzeIkari88Posted 7/14/2013 6:21:53 PM
I've been thinking about this all day since hearing about there being no narrator and no voice works for the camp segments in this game. I'm totally peeved about the narrator, but the camp part of the game, IMO, doesn't really seemed needed for the story. I've talked to every peon in DW7 (Just so I could get that one achievement) and found that it didn't add much to it.

I feel like Koei only added that in as a way for us to buy weapons from that merchant, but that also seem like a waste, however little it might be, because:

1: You can collect most low to mid level weapons just be beating on enemy officers.

2: Ambition Mode has the merchant as well, so you can just hop on that mode if you wanted and buy the weapons from there.

3: Most of the stages don't even start you in the camp to begin with (Especially the first stages for each kingdom in this game).

4: Most of the characters you play as in DW7 got stronger weapons just through mere story progression. Seriously, considering how you played as Sun Quan half the time in Wu's story, there were times when I went to his switch out his weapons and said to myself "Wait, I don't remember buying this higher level sword for him."

So really, if you just took the merchant out of the camp segments, most would start going "What's the point of this Koei? Can we just get to the action please?"
---
Gracia: You and Guan Yu are pals, right? Right?
Zhang Liao: I cannot say, our relationship is not a simple one.
#2saitou1024Posted 7/14/2013 6:59:15 PM
Well, it may be a reprieve from the action, but to be honest I think it's welcome. The camp segments inject a bit of humor, history (especially for prominent generics), and character development. They have their place. And if you don't like them then it's really not very hard to just run up and talk to the officer who begins the mission right away.
---
Microsoft, I'm begging you, double the cost of Live and PLASTER it with ads so I never have to run the risk of playing games with these people. - RockguyKev
#3RasolisuPosted 7/14/2013 8:22:14 PM
They add a lot of Roleplaying aspects to the story.

However unvoiced though it doesnt matter to me at all really as RPGs generally have unvoiced NPCs everywhere outside of cutscenes.
---
The fastest way to ruin a series you like is to get to know the other people playing it.
#4WithoutMoralsPosted 7/15/2013 2:58:51 AM
I wouldn't say 'Most of us would go, "What's the point, etc"'. I certainly enjoyed the camp scenes from DW7, if only because it was a change of pace and helped get me 'pumped up', as it were, for the battle ahead.

For example, seeing one of the Wei grunts punching the ground in grief after Dian Wei and Cao Ang were killed helped me get into the mood to really tear Zhang Xiu and Jia Xu apart.

Plus, I still remember that nameless Shu soldier who seemed to rival Liao Hua in terms of length of service.

So to answer your question, no, they aren't really strictly necessary, but they don't detract from it either. For example, at least the designers don't force you to talk to everyone before you can begin. You find it dull, you can run right up to the officer in charge and start the butchery.
#5VegantoKeensPosted 7/15/2013 4:06:41 AM
Without voices I don't really care for them. I don't need to walk through a dead silent borefest at the start of a stage, after I have just looked at a map with text scrolling along my screen for 2 minutes. There is a time and place for that: RPG games from the 90 's.
---
GMT + 1
PSN = William-Lake
#6Ryumoau23Posted 7/15/2013 6:30:22 AM
VegantoKeens posted...
Without voices I don't really care for them. I don't need to walk through a dead silent borefest at the start of a stage, after I have just looked at a map with text scrolling along my screen for 2 minutes. There is a time and place for that: RPG games from the 90 's.

i agree. the time for unvoiced text is over in my opinion.
---
25 and bisexual. ^ ^
psn: Ryumoau
#7RasolisuPosted 7/15/2013 6:41:52 AM
In a game this big unvoiced text is just fine, I mean it is a LOT of lines. Looking at say the Tales games they don't voice every single line by every single NPC in it and it works just fine. Same goes for Disgaea, Atelier Totori etc.

DW has at least as many lines as those games.... gotta put on the breaks somewhere especially for a translation of a series that is not very popular in said locations.
---
The fastest way to ruin a series you like is to get to know the other people playing it.
#8kirbytooPosted 7/15/2013 7:27:28 AM
At first, I was a little confused as to why the camp segments were in DW8 to begin with, since you can do all your preparation from the pre-battle menu where you select your character. But I'm glad they're in there. I very much enjoyed them in 7 and 7XL. They offer more insight to the story, and it's coupled with interesting -- and sometimes humorous -- character interactions.
---
For what profit is it to a man if he gains the world and loses his own soul?
GT=SpeakingWall, PSN = RogerCraigSmith
#9ZujinPosted 7/15/2013 11:16:01 PM
It's kinda fun when you start battle and the gates open up and enemies rush in. Other than that, it's sorta pointless.