Zhang Liao is the greatest.

#1GuestBPosted 8/7/2013 9:39:02 PM
Just finished reading the novel. Zhang Liao is the greatest; Accomplished warrior, loads of successful campaigns under his belt, is alive and fighting for most of the three kingdoms era, fought Wu at a disadvantage and comes out on top, and is loyal.

All the qualities of the best the three kingdoms have to offer. Definitely the one dude I would pick to show how their stories are the stuff of legend.

Hope he ends up on the cover next time.
---
GUEST B: PSN: Gooong, 3DS FC: 1934 0817 7633
Gamertag: ThatGuyGuestB
#2MHNetioPosted 8/7/2013 9:54:17 PM
I could never understand why he wasn't, or never has been in the first place.
#3Apothecary2Posted 8/7/2013 10:02:46 PM
He was on the cover and intro of Dw5 empires with Guan Yu.
#4kingwutuguPosted 8/7/2013 10:08:09 PM(edited)
Lu Bu and him secretly switched spots the night he was executed, it was really Lu Bu the whole time. they both wore helmets and of course cao cao had a hard time telling them apart. it was the greatest sacrifice Zhang Liao made.
---
There is no I in team, But there is an I in Win
#5Apothecary2Posted 8/7/2013 10:10:24 PM
kingwutugu posted...
Lu Bu and him secretly switched spots the night he was executed, it was really Lu Bu the whole time. they both wore helmets and of course cao cao had a hard time telling them apart. it was the greatest sacrifice Zhang Liao made.

So how did Lu Bu suddenly gain intelligence?
#6DeathRowKidPosted 8/7/2013 10:13:59 PM
Because the Chinese do necessarily value prowess as much as they do "virtue.". And of the books are any indication, Zhao Yun may have been the most virtuous amongst those who were considered to also be great warriors.

Hope this helps.
#7GuestB(Topic Creator)Posted 8/7/2013 10:21:25 PM
DeathRowKid posted...
Because the Chinese do necessarily value prowess as much as they do "virtue.". And of the books are any indication, Zhao Yun may have been the most virtuous amongst those who were considered to also be great warriors.

Hope this helps.

Being known for loyalty is a pretty good virtue I think. Going through the enemy forces to rescue trapped members of his troops in Battle of Xiaoyao Ford shows a lot of character I think.
---
#8WithoutMoralsPosted 8/7/2013 11:55:11 PM
Much as I am loath to admit it, Zhao Yun is probably the most perfect representative of the caliber of men of the age. Skilled, brave, intelligent, a capable leader, humble, the list goes on.

Off the top of my head, one of the Chronicles of the Three Kingdoms (the ones based on history), notes that while three of the Tiger Generals had flaws (Guan Yu's arrogance, Zhang Fei's temper, Ma Chao's general uselessness), Zhao Yun and Huang Zhong were both ideal generals.

And of course, when choosing who to put on the cover of your game, you'll go for the pretty boy.
#9GuestB(Topic Creator)Posted 8/8/2013 12:13:20 AM
WithoutMorals posted...
Much as I am loath to admit it, Zhao Yun is probably the most perfect representative of the caliber of men of the age. Skilled, brave, intelligent, a capable leader, humble, the list goes on.

Off the top of my head, one of the Chronicles of the Three Kingdoms (the ones based on history), notes that while three of the Tiger Generals had flaws (Guan Yu's arrogance, Zhang Fei's temper, Ma Chao's general uselessness), Zhao Yun and Huang Zhong were both ideal generals.

And of course, when choosing who to put on the cover of your game, you'll go for the pretty boy.

Zhang Liao could fit the pretty boy thing if you shave his facial hair I guess. I kinda like his look already though.

Zhao Yun was another person who was alive and working through most of the era so I am okay with him in the cover but he feels pretty over exposed now.
---
#10GuestB(Topic Creator)Posted 8/8/2013 12:15:07 AM
Sima Yi count as a pretty boy? I like his role in the story as well.
---