Allow me to explain why you can't play ps3 game discs on ps4.

#51Buddha1187Posted 2/21/2013 11:40:17 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#52Buddha1187Posted 2/21/2013 11:40:51 AM
To all you people crying about no BC, get over it. Sony obviously doesn't care you won't be able to play your PS1/2/3 games. I can guarantee you that the very small, niche group of you who won't buy the system because of this will not be hurting Sony's feelings. I know I wasn't sure if I wanted one at launch, but after yesterday's showing, I'm buying one. You're gonna jump on the ps4 bandwagon eventually so stop crying like they just stole your lunch money.

Plus if BC being omitted saves me even $20 on the system, I'm for it. I own a ps3 and plan on keeping it.
#53Jinzo 111887Posted 2/21/2013 11:47:21 AM
To all you people crying about no BC, get over it. Sony obviously doesn't care you won't be able to play your PS1/2/3 games. I can guarantee you that the very small, niche group of you who won't buy the system because of this will not be hurting Sony's feelings. I know I wasn't sure if I wanted one at launch, but after yesterday's showing, I'm buying one. You're gonna jump on the ps4 bandwagon eventually so stop crying like they just stole your lunch money.

Plus if BC being omitted saves me even $20 on the system, I'm for it. I own a ps3 and plan on keeping it.

There is a middle ground solution, offer an adapter separately. There's been Sega CD, Sega 32x, Super Game Boy 1&2, Game Boy Player, Retroport, and Retrogen to name some adapters (both official and unofficial) that have been released over the years. I wouldn't rule out the possibility of something like that working.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_kd0Wpq4KE
He runs through walls and waits in halls. It's you he wants to track, the old man covered in black.
#54Yang_K_VuePosted 2/21/2013 11:51:19 AM
I agree that BC with ps3 disc games would be awesome but I'd rather not have it. If you own ps3 games chances are you still have a ps3. I still have my snes and it still works like a charm. I much rather have the ps4 introduced at a competitive price point. I already own a ps3, why should I shell out an extra hundred bucks just to be able to mimic the ps3? I think the majority of us would rather have the $100 discount than BC. Plus, imagine how much more heat extra hardware would cause.
#55VigilantStevePosted 2/21/2013 11:59:19 AM
shinra35800 posted...
not reading in context again....
that was not regarding what sony is capable of, it is what normal ppl are capable of.
ppl shouldnt have to what 10 years to play games that they can buy today (when ps3 is discontinued).

What is Sony capable of exactly though? Just having a patent for an idea of an add-on to enable BC doesn't automatically mean they actually have the technology working, or are even capable of getting it to work properly.

If history is any indication the PS3 is going to be supported for another 5 years after PS4 comes out, and even after that you'll be able to still find them. You won't have to wait 10 years to play games that you can buy today, that's a ridiculous statement. After that point I'm sure that there will be computers powerful enough to emulate PS3 games, and maybe there will be some sort of add-on available to play PS3 games through a PS4. It's all speculation at this point.

The point is, right now, the technology to emulate PS3 games isn't here, and unless there is an add-on of some sort the PS4 isn't going to be capable of playing PS3 games except through streaming.
#56Mista_KlutchPosted 2/21/2013 12:01:36 PM
knightimex posted...
The cpu's are very different from each other.

It would be asinine to attempt to re-code a ps3 game to work with ps4's cpu.
So software emulation is out of the question.

Adding extra hardware would only add cost to the system over all making it very expensive.

PS3's cell is too difficult to develop on unless you have too much free time.
Ain't no one gots time for dat.

Why are there soo many developers wanting to work on ps4?
Easy.

The x86 cpu makes magic happen.
Cell only makes headaches.

Well that makes sense. Good **** man.
---
M |_| S I C < ==> L | F E
"Klutch, you're an *******." - iSomeAssault
#57shinra35800Posted 2/21/2013 12:15:40 PM
VigilantSteve posted...
shinra35800 posted...
not reading in context again....
that was not regarding what sony is capable of, it is what normal ppl are capable of.
ppl shouldnt have to what 10 years to play games that they can buy today (when ps3 is discontinued).

What is Sony capable of exactly though? Just having a patent for an idea of an add-on to enable BC doesn't automatically mean they actually have the technology working, or are even capable of getting it to work properly.

If history is any indication the PS3 is going to be supported for another 5 years after PS4 comes out, and even after that you'll be able to still find them. You won't have to wait 10 years to play games that you can buy today, that's a ridiculous statement. After that point I'm sure that there will be computers powerful enough to emulate PS3 games, and maybe there will be some sort of add-on available to play PS3 games through a PS4. It's all speculation at this point.

The point is, right now, the technology to emulate PS3 games isn't here, and unless there is an add-on of some sort the PS4 isn't going to be capable of playing PS3 games except through streaming.

So they will actually draw up a blueprint of something never actually tested?

Go look on ebay and tell me how many official ps2 controllers you can actually find.

Look on amazon and tell me how many of specific versions of ps2 systems you can find that would = the same amount of ppl who need them when theirs break?

Matter of fact, find me a place where everyone can go to get the first ps3 that is compatible with ps2 games.

You can't read worth crap can you. I clearly said you would have to wait 10 years after ps3 is discontinued in order for you to play your games again on an emulator.

What is sony capable of? It's their systems. They ARE getting paid unlike emu devs. They have hardware, blueprints, etc. They have the inside scoop. You mean to tell me that a whole company can't even come close to what a handful of normal ppl can do? I don't think so Tim.
#58Jinzo 111887Posted 2/21/2013 12:42:51 PM
1.)I still have my snes and it still works like a charm.
2.)I much rather have the ps4 introduced at a competitive price point. I already own a ps3, why should I shell out an extra hundred bucks just to be able to mimic the ps3?
3.)I think the majority of us would rather have the $100 discount than BC. Plus, imagine how much more heat extra hardware would cause.

1.)Difference between a PS3 and an SNES is moving parts that are more likely to break with continued use.
2.)I believe not having Linux is what reduced the PS3 price down to $300, not removing BC. As long as Sony doesn't include Linux, I think they might have an easier time with that goal. Pretty sure they won't include because of what happened with it.
3.)Okay, how about an external addon like the Game Boy Player, but for Playstation 1, 2, and 3 games? I think Sony patented something like that once. And Sega CD showed it can be done with disc based systems. This would be a "BC sold separately" kind of thing.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_kd0Wpq4KE
He runs through walls and waits in halls. It's you he wants to track, the old man covered in black.
#59sharinguyPosted 2/21/2013 1:05:49 PM
Jinzo 111887 posted...
1.)I still have my snes and it still works like a charm.
2.)I much rather have the ps4 introduced at a competitive price point. I already own a ps3, why should I shell out an extra hundred bucks just to be able to mimic the ps3?
3.)I think the majority of us would rather have the $100 discount than BC. Plus, imagine how much more heat extra hardware would cause.

1.)Difference between a PS3 and an SNES is moving parts that are more likely to break with continued use.
2.)I believe not having Linux is what reduced the PS3 price down to $300, not removing BC. As long as Sony doesn't include Linux, I think they might have an easier time with that goal. Pretty sure they won't include because of what happened with it.
3.)Okay, how about an external addon like the Game Boy Player, but for Playstation 1, 2, and 3 games? I think Sony patented something like that once. And Sega CD showed it can be done with disc based systems. This would be a "BC sold separately" kind of thing.

Actually the reason the PS3 was expensive was because of that weird Cell processor that was hard to work with and expensive to make not linux. Linux is a free OS I don't see how that can amount to any type of cost.
---
PSN: Dorman_777
Pokemon Black FC: 5414-9379-0757
#60nb003_99Posted 2/21/2013 1:08:03 PM
Knightimex.......
That is all.