WOOT! The PS4 supports SDTV :)

#1pobattiPosted 2/21/2013 4:22:16 PM
My HDTV broke down a few months ago. Apparently something inside the inverter board broke and needs to be replaced, but I reckon it's probably a better idea to upgrade it to a newer larger screen.

Anyhow, haven't bought one quite yet. I got rid of my PS3 and XBox360 several months ago, mainly because the machines were developing faults, but also because I got a 3DS which has kept me quite happy for a while.

PS4 will be out this year, but there's no way I can buy a new HDTV and a PS4 in the same year - there's no way I can put all that money to one side. If I were to try and buy a HDTV now, I would be short at the end of the year when I need the cash for the PS4.

But I thought I'd need the TV first.

I don't - PS4 is officially compatible with SDTV :)

That means I can get my PS4, and enjoy it for the first six months or so on my SDTV while I save up for the gigantic HDTV that I have my eye on. Great news :)

I wonder if they'll pack in the SCART lead or A/V cables?

Elsewhere, it will feature a "super speed" USB 3.0 port, wired and wireless internet connectivity, and outputs in HDMI, analogue AV and optical audio.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/news/a460582/ps4-hardware-specifications-in-full-blu-ray-usb-30-confirmed.html
#2pyro1022megaPosted 2/21/2013 4:25:03 PM
It'll come with an hdmi cord. It's practically guaranteed.
---
Take a dump on the face of common sense dood!
Not changing this sig till Capcom releases a remake/sequel to U.N. Squadron
#3Aadrian1234Posted 2/21/2013 4:25:21 PM
So does that mean that there is an option to optimize gameplay for an SDTV? I also want to get an HDTV, but I also won't have enough money for both in the same year. So games like skyrim won't have part if the screen cut off? If that's true, I can hold off on the HDTV, and buy the PS4 first
---
PSN/GT-Aadrianseth Message me via PSN Xbox live or i will ignore the request
3DS: 0817-4248-5560 PM me your FC if you add me
#4XphoenixedgeXPosted 2/21/2013 4:26:25 PM
pyro1022mega posted...

We'll probably only get the standard composite cables...
#5huyiPosted 2/21/2013 4:28:05 PM
why dont you wait for a price drop? you seem to be happy with just the 3ds, buy your tv and wait a couple of years for better games a optimized hardware.
---
UK Female Gamer
PC specs: AMD FX BULLDOZER 4100 QUAD CORE 4.0ghz ATI HD6670 8GB RAM 1TB HDD Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/HUYI1
#6pobatti(Topic Creator)Posted 2/21/2013 4:30:21 PM
huyi posted...
why dont you wait for a price drop? you seem to be happy with just the 3ds, buy your tv and wait a couple of years for better games a optimized hardware.

I'm kind of happy, but I also kind of miss having an actual console. It's been a while since my PS3 and XBox360 started acting up, and my old HDTV broke down - but by the end of the year I'll be pretty desperate to get back into the loop again.

3DS is good - but it's just not the same.
#7AldoMontoyaPosted 2/21/2013 4:32:08 PM
I wonder if this will have an RF adapter accessory I can buy so I can play it on my tv, it's old and doesn't have av inputs. I don't want to have to buy a VCR to just plug my AV cables into to play the PS4.
#8XphoenixedgeXPosted 2/21/2013 4:34:24 PM
AldoMontoya posted...
I wonder if this will have an RF adapter accessory I can buy so I can play it on my tv, it's old and doesn't have av inputs. I don't want to have to buy a VCR to just plug my AV cables into to play the PS4.

lol, I remember when I used to have to do that.

How can you afford to buy a new gaming system but not a relatively modern TV to accompany it?
#9pyro1022megaPosted 2/21/2013 4:35:37 PM
XphoenixedgeX posted...
pyro1022mega posted...

We'll probably only get the standard composite cables...

Wii u came with hdmi. If Sony doesn't include hdmi that's just stupid. Why show off how amazing you're hardware is if you don't even include the best cord for displaying on HDTVs. It's not like when the ps3 first released and hdmi chords were 70 bucks.
---
Take a dump on the face of common sense dood!
Not changing this sig till Capcom releases a remake/sequel to U.N. Squadron
#10pobatti(Topic Creator)Posted 2/21/2013 4:38:48 PM
XphoenixedgeX posted...
AldoMontoya posted...

lol, I remember when I used to have to do that.

How can you afford to buy a new gaming system but not a relatively modern TV to accompany it?

In my case it's due to me buying a HDTV exclusively for my PS3 years ago, while I still have a functioning SDTV that's donkeys old but works great for the TV. The HDTV I bought was one of the early models, and eventually the inverter board went which means that I can't see anything on the screen.

I might have replaced it months ago, but since my PS3 and 360 were on their way out it wasn't a priority. I just cut my losses and switched to a portable for a bit until the new machines come out.

Problem is, it's way too expensive to save up for both a quality HDTV and a PS4 in the same year, so it's great that I can get the PS4 and play around on it for a while in some capacity while I save up for it's accompanying TV :)