The PS4 has me very excited for RPGs. DA3, DS2, Elder Scrolls, Fallouts, etc

#11NerdimusPrimePosted 3/2/2013 4:25:05 PM
IvanKozlov posted...
NerdimusPrime posted...
When are you going to bring up some RPG's? none of the games you list fall under that category.

That's not even remotely correct. Hell, if you want to think about it literally, nearly every game is an RPG as you role play as the characters.

none of the games listed are RPG's. Bethesda does not make RPG's and wouldn't even know where to start. It's false logic to think that because you are someone that isn't you that you are "role playing". There hasn't been a video game RPG in over a decade and I doubt they will ever make a resurgence ( too much focus on EZ mode shooters and grinding level up games that people think are RPG's).
---
Tua mater gerit caligas.
#12zmousePosted 3/2/2013 4:32:20 PM
NerdimusPrime posted...
IvanKozlov posted...
NerdimusPrime posted...
When are you going to bring up some RPG's? none of the games you list fall under that category.

That's not even remotely correct. Hell, if you want to think about it literally, nearly every game is an RPG as you role play as the characters.

none of the games listed are RPG's. Bethesda does not make RPG's and wouldn't even know where to start. It's false logic to think that because you are someone that isn't you that you are "role playing". There hasn't been a video game RPG in over a decade and I doubt they will ever make a resurgence ( too much focus on EZ mode shooters and grinding level up games that people think are RPG's).

So whats an RPG to you? Some JRPG w/ feminized men and big eyes.
#13SomnusNemorisPosted 3/2/2013 4:33:49 PM
Doesn't matter what some elitist nerd on a video game forum thinks. The fact is, the industry and gamers alike, recognise all of those games as RPGs. They are RPGs. End of discussion.
#14NerdimusPrimePosted 3/2/2013 4:34:09 PM
zmouse posted...
NerdimusPrime posted...
IvanKozlov posted...
NerdimusPrime posted...

JVRPG's are spawned from the same pile of crap that western VRPG's are. Look up Role playing Game and you might find out a thing or 2.
---
Tua mater gerit caligas.
#15NerdimusPrimePosted 3/2/2013 4:38:18 PM
SomnusNemoris posted...
Doesn't matter what some elitist nerd on a video game forum thinks. The fact is, the industry and gamers alike, recognise all of those games as RPGs. They are RPGs. End of discussion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Role_playing_game

yes even this article calls the simplistic Grinding level up games RPGS, but it does give you some info on what an RPG is actually like. If there was any level of creativity, imagination , or even genuine thought required to play these games they would live up to title, but as is, VRPGS are a shadow of what they could be and nowhere near any level of Role playing.
---
Tua mater gerit caligas.
#16MonopomanPosted 3/2/2013 4:39:21 PM(edited)
NerdimusPrime posted...
zmouse posted...
NerdimusPrime posted...
IvanKozlov posted...
NerdimusPrime posted...

JVRPG's are spawned from the same pile of crap that western VRPG's are. Look up Role playing Game and you might find out a thing or 2.

Pretty sure this is the type of RPG he is referring to.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/obsidian/project-eternity

Basically the purest form of the RPG in video game form that has been dead for quite some time.

Other examples..

Baldur's Gate 1-2
Arcanum
Fallout 1-2
Planescape Torment
#17SomnusNemorisPosted 3/2/2013 4:39:22 PM
Okay fair enough, today's aren't for you, but that doesn't mean all of these titles aren't RPGs to others and they can't be excited for the prospect of them being on an 8th gen console.
#18NerdimusPrimePosted 3/2/2013 4:55:57 PM(edited)
SomnusNemoris posted...
Okay fair enough, today's aren't for you, but that doesn't mean all of these titles aren't RPGs to others and they can't be excited for the prospect of them being on an 8th gen console.

they aren't RPG's. It's like someone trying to sell me a soyburger and calling it a hamburger...I know the difference and the name should reflect that difference. the poster above you gets it. There have been some good RPG video games, but not in a very long time. It's been quite sometime that any game has come out that is worthy of the legacy that Gygax started.
---
Tua mater gerit caligas.
#19hump3rdnkPosted 3/2/2013 4:44:37 PM
I totally agree with TC, deep down looked good but it really got me excited for the genre more than that specific game, that trailer coupled with the article on the Witcher 3 got me really excited for the genre and I think the Witcher 3 has a serious chance at being one if the best rpg's ever made and I absolutely can't wait to see what happens with dark souls 2, fallout 4 and the Elder Scrolls series, a lot of people knock on Bethesda but they are one of the best at creating a living, breathing world so I'm very excited to see the next elder Scrolls and fallout games.

If skyrim was as impressive as it is on 7 year old hardware I really want to see what they can do next gen.
#20IvanKozlovPosted 3/2/2013 4:45:15 PM
NerdimusPrime posted...
zmouse posted...
NerdimusPrime posted...
IvanKozlov posted...
NerdimusPrime posted...

Doesn't matter that you don't accept them as RPGs, because they are. Hell, I suppose you don't think DND is a RPG either.
---
A Lannister always pays his debts.