Confused: Ps4 tech can be optimized, so why does PC feel superior

#1monkeyman0111Posted 4/20/2013 11:09:52 AM
I get that PC literally has more power, but if Ps3 tech can keep up with games like far cry and still look amazing with 1/8th the power.

So is it fair to judge ps4 purely on power when a games are what really matter

That's why you shouldn't judge the WiiU

4/20
---
"There are TONS of games that look BEAUTIFUL. It's not a matter of polygons anymore, it's a matter of ART DIRECTION now"
PSN: Monkeyman0111
#2DarkZV2BetaPosted 4/20/2013 11:15:49 AM
Consoles keep up by running lower settings, resolutions, and framerates, typically speaking. There are very few games that really take advantage of the closed platforms in this generation, and it's likely there will be even less next gen.
Typically, console titles run lower than the lowest available settings on PC, and have framerates in the 20-30fps range.
---
Sony is like Justin Bieber and we are all like the Beliebers!! AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH SONY!!!!! We love you!!! -MotiJr
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/GlJ8
#3Lefty128kPosted 4/20/2013 11:16:12 AM
You should try again after the caffeine wears off.
#4DaLaggaPosted 4/20/2013 12:30:34 PM
monkeyman0111 posted...
I get that PC literally has more power, but if Ps3 tech can keep up with games like far cry and still look amazing with 1/8th the power.

4/20

The PS3 hasn't kept up at all. Far Cry 3 is running on much lower settings on console than the PC version at a blurry 720p resolution (slightly less actually) and chugs along at a horrible framerate with dips into the teens and long sustained periods in the low 20's. Meanwhile, a decent modern PC can handle much higher settings, 1080p, 60fps, etc. And not only that, but my rig is well over 5 years old and I could still handle the game at far higher settings than the console version with much better performance.

As for the Wii U, it's so weak that it almost certainly won't get more than a tiny handful of next-gen games because developers aren't going to want to completely redesign their graphics engine to get games running on such archaic hardware. Hell, it's hardly even getting ports of current gen games this year. It's going to be a repeat of the Wii, where the Wii U gets mostly shovelware, Nintendo rehashes, and a tiny handful of modern games that have been so gimped that they're almost not worth playing at all.
#5DarkZV2BetaPosted 4/20/2013 12:32:26 PM
DaLagga posted...
monkeyman0111 posted...

4/20

The PS3 hasn't kept up at all. Far Cry 3 is running on much lower settings on console than the PC version at a blurry 720p resolution (slightly less actually) and chugs along at a horrible framerate with dips into the teens and long sustained periods in the low 20's. Meanwhile, a decent modern PC can handle much higher settings, 1080p, 60fps, etc. And not only that, but my rig is well over 5 years old and I could still handle the game at far higher settings than the console version with much better performance.

As for the Wii U, it's so weak that it almost certainly won't get more than a tiny handful of next-gen games because developers aren't going to want to completely redesign their graphics engine to get games running on such archaic hardware. Hell, it's hardly even getting ports of current gen games this year. It's going to be a repeat of the Wii, where the Wii U gets mostly shovelware, Nintendo rehashes, and a tiny handful of modern games that have been so gimped that they're almost not worth playing at all.

Or, it might take over the recovering Japanese market, and get the largest library of good explosive titles.
---
Sony is like Justin Bieber and we are all like the Beliebers!! AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH SONY!!!!! We love you!!! -MotiJr
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/GlJ8
#6DaLaggaPosted 4/20/2013 12:44:24 PM(edited)
DarkZV2Beta posted...
Or, it might take over the recovering Japanese market, and get the largest library of good explosive titles.

I doubt it. Given the increased cost of development these days, multi-platform games are more common than ever because developers need to offset costs by selling to a larger market. Who is going to want to develop games exclusively for the Wii U when they could make a lot more money selling them on other systems? Especially when you consider the fact that Nintendo platforms these days are dominated by casuals who really only buy the systems to play 1st party Nintendo games anyway. My prediction is that Wii U will end up seeing popularity on par with the N64 or Gcube and the recent sales indicate that it's right on track for that.
#7Snuckie7Posted 4/20/2013 12:51:45 PM
"so why does PC feel superior"

Because it is.
---
Intel Core i7 3820 | EVGA X79 SLi K2 | MSI 7950 Twin Frozr III | Samsung / 840 120GB / 8GB RAM | 1TB WD Caviar Blue | Corsair / 550D / H70 | Silencer MKIII 600W
#8knightimexPosted 4/20/2013 2:29:14 PM
Take the exact same specs to both a PC and console, the console will win due to being a closed system.

Closed systems always use focused power.
This is fact, and not up for debate.

Proof: crysis 3 needs 3 gigs of ram to even function on pc.
Consoles, less than 512mb...
---
Old School Style Games FTW!
#9NemeksisPosted 4/20/2013 2:34:04 PM
knightimex posted...
Take the exact same specs to both a PC and console, the console will win due to being a closed system.

Crysis 3 on low settings in a pc > Crysis 3 on consoles.
#10Snuckie7Posted 4/20/2013 2:34:09 PM
knightimex posted...

Hardly a fair comparison, considering the two platforms are almost running completely different games.
---
Intel Core i7 3820 | EVGA X79 SLi K2 | MSI 7950 Twin Frozr III | Samsung / 840 120GB / 8GB RAM | 1TB WD Caviar Blue | Corsair / 550D / H70 | Silencer MKIII 600W