PS4 or Build a PC?

#1_xXseanXx_Posted 5/10/2013 11:15:14 AM
I have wanted to build a (mid-level; not thousands of dollars) PC to do some gaming on, but I'm in college and have limited money. I have been more than satisfied with my PS3, when I'm bogged down with homework or fraternity obligations, I'm using my playstation (games, videos, or Netflix).

But... I know the PS4 is going to be rather expensive, so I am wondering whether I should just take the money that would have bought a PS4 and build a mid range gaming PC?

I should note that I don't want a fanboy war. I would prefer only people who game on both a console and a PC to give me an opinion.
#2FoppePosted 5/10/2013 11:20:13 AM
Do you want to play PC or PS4 games?
Wait for E3 and see what games Sony is promoting, then make a list of future PC and PS4 games that you know about.
And pick the best looking list.
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site. -CJayC
#3prozac786Posted 5/10/2013 11:23:20 AM
Well to be honest it will come down mostly to the games really.

Both devices will be able to do the multimedia side of things you mentioned above - videos, music, netflix, streaming.

So ultimately its down to the games that you want to play. Regardless of the PC vs Console debate, there will be many games that will be available on the PS4, which the PC will never get.

Likewise there are some games available that are PC only. Which games do you want to play?

If the type of games you mostly play are only available on consoles then the answer will be get a PS4.

However if you are playing games that are available on both PC and console, then it really comes down to preference. In this case I would get a PS4, someone else will say PC. What do you prefer?
---
PSN Prozac786
#4MegagunstarmanPosted 5/10/2013 11:26:56 AM
ps4 because its more powerful then any pc you could ever build and will have more games then any pc could ever dream of because publishers have abandoned pc
---
I'm not changing this until a new Jet Set Radio is announced. Started 10/13/11
#5ButKevinBaconPosted 5/10/2013 11:32:58 AM
build a ps4
#6marcthemagicbumPosted 5/10/2013 11:58:58 AM
Foppe posted...
Do you want to play PC or PS4 games?
Wait for E3 and see what games Sony is promoting, then make a list of future PC and PS4 games that you know about.
And pick the best looking list.

This makes the most sense.
---
18tigamhNuNfpewse2G76tX8VyXWBiNWuS
Make a BC donation to an anti-CISPA bitPAC today!
#7AsucaHayashiPosted 5/10/2013 12:06:15 PM(edited)
but I'm in college and have limited money.

PC all the way.

"points to sig".

spend even $600 on a PC and you get the ability to consistently get your games down to $1 a pop... or play them free for that matter(f2p).
---
PC hardware doesn't need to match console hardware in price when PC gamers save literal thousands from the software they buy. http://www.steamgamesales.com/
#8BudWisenheimerPosted 5/10/2013 12:11:48 PM
IMO (why isn't that obvious to everyone?)

Now would be the worst time to build a PC. The new consoles are going to cause an acceleration in gaming-PC hardware capabilities over the next couple years. And whatever you build now is going to show its age faster than the last couple years.

I say buy a PS4 and/or Xbox8 this year ... have fun with the new games ... and patiently wait for PC hardware costs to settle down.

#9temgunPosted 5/10/2013 12:46:31 PM(edited)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgk-lA12FBk

But really, save money for both. The PS4 doesn't even have a release date yet, so why even think about it now? If you don't care for the launch titles, then you don't even need to get a PS4 at release.

BudWisenheimer posted...
Now would be the worst time to build a PC. The new consoles are going to cause an acceleration in gaming-PC hardware capabilities over the next couple years. And whatever you build now is going to show its age faster than the last couple years.

And this so much. You don't even have to wait for a long time. AMD is releasing their 9000 series at the end of this year and Nvidia is releasing Maxwell in (early?) 2014. There's absolutely no point in getting the rebranded HD 8000 or GTX 700 series now.
#10DarkZV2BetaPosted 5/10/2013 1:09:05 PM
Why do you think the PS4 will be expensive? I doubt an entry level unit will be above $400.

Anyway, if you're tight on cash, I recommend getting a PC, as it's quite a bit cheaper as a long-term source of entertainment. Software is beans-cheap, or even free, and there's tons of free user-created content for lots of commercial games, some of which is higher quality than the "AAA" releases one would typically play on a console. There's also the obvious easy of use to the social aspect, so if you're at college why not get a LAN going, or start a clan in an online game?
However, if you don't have much free time, as may be the case with attending school, and therefore aren't looking to have a large library of games, a console with a few lasting titles would be a thriftier choice.
---
Sony is like Justin Bieber and we are all like the Beliebers!! AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH SONY!!!!! We love you!!! -MotiJr
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/GlJ8