Will the PS4 be backwards compatible?

#1huntersfightertPosted 5/22/2013 10:49:19 PM
Will we be able to play PS3 games on PS4?

I heard it could be with cloud, how would cloud work with backwards compatibility? Will we have to already have to own a PS3, in order to play those games on a PS4?

Will online games work the same with backwards compatible games? or will there be no online for those?

Thanks for your answers in advanced.
#2TheAnthraxBunnyPosted 5/22/2013 10:51:18 PM(edited)
Emulation and the cloud. I'm not sure how either of them are going to work, though. I'd also like to know how that works if anyone knows (which I doubt anyone does).
---
The best you can is good enough.
#3Flare1721Posted 5/22/2013 10:50:58 PM
Your questioned will be answered at E3.
---
Best Boss Battle Ever Xemnas- KH2, Long Live Mega Man Legends 3!
PSN: Strife1721
#4Zeran_kariashiPosted 5/22/2013 10:52:34 PM
they've said no, though there's also talk of some stupid streaming thing that you pay money to play your PS3 games via...but obviously, unless you've got awesome internet, they said you can go F yourself.....

I've already decided, unless they have a BC version (don't care if it's more expensive), I'm not getting one until a couple years after release.
#5Orange_ApplesPosted 5/22/2013 11:00:35 PM
PS4 will not be able to play PS3 disks. The internals of the PS3 and the PS4 are too different. a few years back Sony purchased a company called Gaikai which was to be a video game streaming service.

How Gaikai was to work was all you need is an internet browser to play a game since all of the processing would happen on a remote server.

Since Sony bought Gaikai what will happen is that popular PS3/2/1 games will be held on a remote system and the game will be streamed to the PS4.

Since the system isn't out I'm not 100% sure that is how it works, I also am not sure how this would work if your system is offline.

This may feel like a bad thing, but it will make it easier to find some of the older games.

Since I have an old PS3 that is backwards with PS2 and 1 I'll just have that on component cables and if I get the PS4 it will be on HDMI.
---
PC + Nintendo
Winning combination in the late 80s, winning combination in the 90s, winning combination today.
#6ITPPosted 5/22/2013 11:16:10 PM
TheAnthraxBunny posted...
Emulation and the cloud. I'm not sure how either of them are going to work, though. I'd also like to know how that works if anyone knows (which I doubt anyone does).

Conceptually, Emulation means that the PS4 hardware will Mimic the exact behavior of past hardware (PS3,PS2,PS1) in a 99.xxx% accuracy, and that allows games designed for that software to run.

Doing that while still dedicating system resources to other tasks, takes a ton of resources, considerably more resources than the original system being emulated would have used in fact, and it gets harder and more tasking when you are emulating a complicated hardware architecture.

This can be circumvented almost fully if your new hardware uses the exact same architecture, or has components from the old hardware connected to it as secondary devices, because you could then theoretically dedicate those components or parts of your system to that task, but since this is not the case on PS4, this is out of the question.

how do you solve such a problem? well, using today's fast internet and strong servers, you could have a server farm sitting somewhere (preferably, multiple farms around the globe) that has computation power that far exceeds that of a single cheap (compared to strong PCs) console, and that server farm would be dedicated to running instances of these old games on-demand.

Your PS4 would be responsible for sending your control inputs to the server farm, and receiving compressed 1080p/720p video from it, as well as buffering communications between the two to make the experience as close to how it would be when playing the actual game on the actual console.

This is whats commonly referred to as "Cloud streaming".

Gaikai is a company that has performed vast amounts of R&D into this area to improve the scaleability of it, as well as the various performance related problems with it, and Sony seems to be saying that Gaikai will be a subscription based / digital purchase based service that will allow us to play PS1,PS2 and PS3 games on a server farm remotely with little to no lag.

whether that actually works remains to be seen.

whether that means the PS4 will not support any of the existing digital software (PS1 classics, PS2 classics, Minis, etc') remains to be seen.

Whether or not players will be granted any digital rights for inserting an original PS3 game's blu-ray disc into their system remains to be seen (theoretically, they could have it so that Gaikai would authenticate the disc and let you play the cloud version.)
#7ITPPosted 5/23/2013 3:40:57 AM
Nobody cares huh? well silly me for actually trying to answer someone's goddamn question...
#8MrSpaM111Posted 5/23/2013 3:53:27 AM
The Gaikai service has been put in place for this exact purpose, how it'll work is anyone's guess. I'm guessing you'll have to have a fairly good internet connection for it to work well though.
#9jrush2011Posted 5/23/2013 4:18:48 AM
huntersfightert posted...
Will we be able to play PS3 games on PS4?

I heard it could be with cloud, how would cloud work with backwards compatibility? Will we have to already have to own a PS3, in order to play those games on a PS4?

Will online games work the same with backwards compatible games? or will there be no online for those?

Thanks for your answers in advanced.

You probably don't remember the BETA VS VHS. XBOX DRONE is this generations BETA Player. Don't invest in BETA!

I suspect Microsoft will be sued before the first year. It is important that affected citizens get involved in this fight. Microsoft should have known better!
---
BigWorldJust @ bluehat94 11/12/2011 8:37:18 PM "Lol, you know more than me and I beat the game :P." TROLL!! OWNED!
#10SxmfctPosted 5/23/2013 4:22:53 AM
MrSpaM111 posted...
The Gaikai service has been put in place for this exact purpose, how it'll work is anyone's guess. I'm guessing you'll have to have a fairly good internet connection for it to work well though.

there will still be latency

imagine if sony put all the money they spent on this galkai thing into ps4 bc development instead?