Will PS4 be able to play PS3 games?

#11jrb363Posted 5/28/2013 8:50:38 PM
SoulScare posted...
I don't mind hanging onto my PS2, but I just really hope that it'll at least be able to play PS3 games. I don't see why it shouldn't. Please don't **** me Sony!

If you know anything about computer hardware architecture (I'm guessing you don't) then you will easily be able to understand why the PS4 can not and will not play PS3 games. The PS3 uses a heavily customized chip called the Cell processor and an Nvidia graphics card. The Playstation 4 used a standard X86 processor (different types of hardware completely) as well as an AMD graphics card. (not as big of a deal, but still important)

Due to the differences in hardware and the ways games are coded for the different platforms the Playstation 4 would need enough power to fully emulate the Playstation 3 hardware, system software AND run the game at a constant speed. Unfortunately as powerful as the PS4 is the hardware is nowhere close to being able to do that.

If you enjoy your PS3 that much just keep it. Sony will support it with updates for a long time after the PS4 comes out and if you're looking for new games a TON of great ones are coming out soon. (Gran Turismo 6, Grand Theft Auto 5, Dragon's Crown, etc)

No need to be angry at Sony. They're making a great system that will power us into the future. Keep both systems and enjoy it.
---
rx54: Everyone just ignore my links that explain everything and argue over something obvious.
#12dart246Posted 5/28/2013 8:54:02 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#13SoulScare(Topic Creator)Posted 5/28/2013 9:25:53 PM
jrb363 posted...
SoulScare posted...
I don't mind hanging onto my PS2, but I just really hope that it'll at least be able to play PS3 games. I don't see why it shouldn't. Please don't **** me Sony!

If you know anything about computer hardware architecture (I'm guessing you don't) then you will easily be able to understand why the PS4 can not and will not play PS3 games. The PS3 uses a heavily customized chip called the Cell processor and an Nvidia graphics card. The Playstation 4 used a standard X86 processor (different types of hardware completely) as well as an AMD graphics card. (not as big of a deal, but still important)

Due to the differences in hardware and the ways games are coded for the different platforms the Playstation 4 would need enough power to fully emulate the Playstation 3 hardware, system software AND run the game at a constant speed. Unfortunately as powerful as the PS4 is the hardware is nowhere close to being able to do that.

If you enjoy your PS3 that much just keep it. Sony will support it with updates for a long time after the PS4 comes out and if you're looking for new games a TON of great ones are coming out soon. (Gran Turismo 6, Grand Theft Auto 5, Dragon's Crown, etc)

No need to be angry at Sony. They're making a great system that will power us into the future. Keep both systems and enjoy it.

I heard about that from my brother. Was just hoping he read a bad site, but jokes on me I suppose. What do you mean thought with Sony updates. =/
And I'm not mad at Sony, just being a little bummed that's all.
#14jrb363Posted 5/28/2013 9:42:05 PM
SoulScare posted...
jrb363 posted...
SoulScare posted...

I heard about that from my brother. Was just hoping he read a bad site, but jokes on me I suppose. What do you mean thought with Sony updates. =/
And I'm not mad at Sony, just being a little bummed that's all.

Well I just mean that Sony will continue updating the PS3 with new security updates, the occasional feature and of course any digital game releases.
---
rx54: Everyone just ignore my links that explain everything and argue over something obvious.
#15JJroootPosted 5/29/2013 7:29:46 AM
Im just gunna prop my ps4 up right next to my ps3... whenever i want to play a PS3 title.. BAM.

Just like now... i have a PS3 slim model which is not backwards compatible.

However my ps2 is hooked up to the same tv as well... so when i get that urge to play KH2 I can XD
---
If alcohol is a crutch, Jack Daniels is a wheelchair
Xbox Live GT: Saynt614
#16CollCrofterPosted 5/29/2013 7:45:36 AM
JJrooot posted...
Im just gunna prop my ps4 up right next to my ps3... whenever i want to play a PS3 title.. BAM.

Just like now... i have a PS3 slim model which is not backwards compatible.

However my ps2 is hooked up to the same tv as well... so when i get that urge to play KH2 I can XD

This. I don't get the whole crying about BC.

You have a PS3 right???? WELL KEEP IT!!!
#17toledoguy452Posted 5/29/2013 7:47:59 AM
I would not want to play PS3 games anymore if or WHEN I buy my PS4.. Many people are selling their PS3 systems on local classified sites like Craigslist to start saving for the new PS4 also..
---
PSN : ohioguy452
#18adampeltzPosted 5/29/2013 10:27:10 AM
Don't be glum.

I'm willing to bet that there maybe some 4k remastered ports of old PS3 games on the store eventually... Plus plenty of ps1 games and HD remasters of PS2 games just like this generation. I never owned a PS3 so I'm hoping for such titles eventually.
---
XBL gamertag: Peltz | Wii U NNID: Peltz-0
3DS Friend code: 1161-0129-0691.
#19bessy67Posted 5/29/2013 10:31:32 AM(edited)
Backwards compatibility would be nice for someone like me, who owns a 360 and not a PS3 but hasn't decided on which console to get next generation. It would definitely be a plus for me if I could buy a PS4 and play games like Uncharted or Killzone early in the console lifecycle when there aren't a bunch of PS4 games to play. However I personally don't want either company to have to gimp their new console by using 10 year old architecture in it, so I at least understand why they both opted not to have BC.
---
"Immigrants. That's all they do, you know. Just driving around, listening to raps, shooting all the jobs." - Malory Archer
GT: Bessy67
#20Jacob46719Posted 5/29/2013 10:40:35 AM
SoulScare posted...
Why the **** not!? You're telling me I'll need to keep my PS3!?

why not keep it
---
Currently Playing: Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, 007 Legends, StarCraft 2, SM3DL, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, Lego City